domineaux
A module most of us could use
  • 2004/9/11 15:09

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

A flexible database with mutiple sorts and search filters.

I'm working on a site that needs a very large databse, which is just a respository of facts.

field1|field2|field3|field4|etc.

The module might best be described as something like an Excel file with larger file capacity, and sort and filtering pretty close to excel.

How it would be used:

Users select a few critera for filtering, i.e., year, model type, etc. then a sort critera would be selected for final viewing.

It would be nice to have a printout or email ability for users to apply when their final selection is made.

There may already be something in XOOPS that I can do a workaround now, but I can't think of one.

I'd appreciate reading more on anything relating to something like this.

OH...a biggy. The datafiles would not be editable or altered except by the admin.

Alan-A
Re: A module most of us could use
  • 2004/9/11 15:39

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

I've a similar problem - I'm converting a site for an orchestra to XOOPS and one of the options I'd have liked is to able to sort articles about compositions or pieces played according to title of the composition, the composer or according to the date it was played by the orchestra.

I'd actually given up on the possibility of being able to do this and was going to use wfSections with its fixed hierarchy of categories.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to develop/hack a module such as wfS rather than start from scratch again? After all we have wfSections, xfSections, Tutorials and Articles - all of which more or less have the same core functions (outside of the wfS file manager and editor) - in all these modules the category hierarchy is fixed - I'd like to be able to select between different hierarchies.

I guess that this is not quite what you meant, Domineaux, but it may be a more effective approach.

Best wishes,

Alan

domineaux
  • 2004/9/11 16:37

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

Thanks for your response

I'm thinking apart from the modules we currently have. I'm thinking more in terms of a relational database with multiple filtering and sorts.

I've been looking at several open source that are PHP. I've tried the PAFILEDB, but it's not near "relational" enough.

I've got a database of 30,000 records with 18 fields per record that I need to filter and sort. The database is not huge, but it is large enough catagory filtering and the like still return too many records for users to view easily. I need multiple iterations of filters on fields data with several sorts within sorts to do this well.

Alan-A
  • 2004/9/11 16:50

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Ah...

yes, we are talking about quite different solutions - once I've thought a bit more about it, I'll probably post my idea on the wfS development forum.

Alan

DonXoop

Maybe a quick fix idea, or maybe way off base but:
You said that only admin needs control of the content/data. This allows you to only worry about the search/paging/presentation of the data. Admin of the database can be done outside of xoops.

Might it be possible in the short term to create the basic screens and wrap it inside another module like tinycontent or something else?

And an FYI: you can call data from other databases on the same server using the usual XOOPS functions. Just precede the table name with the database name. And of course you have to grant the XOOPS db user the needed rights (read-only?) to that database.

vinit
  • 2004/9/11 18:00

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

infact i would also like to see an easy form creator, using which members can create some simple forms which can be used in to get some data and then same data can be presented over in some structure.

domineaux
  • 2004/9/11 18:38

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

I could probably just us a standalone php type applicaton relational database and use multi-menu to access it. I was just hoping to get some input from other xoopers. This particular case doesn't have to integrate with XOOPS other than just access and egress from the db.

The more I think about it actually the MySQL is a relational db. I'm probably not looking for more than a way to just put up an interface page to the MySql with the filters and sort tools and a viewing page.

In fact, maybe someone is already using such an application script and just accessing it through Xoops. I've used a lot of PHP scripts that are not Xoops, which I just hyperlink to the folder on my server. I maintain a separate MySql and usually they're pretty trouble free.

Login

Who's Online

161 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 161

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits