nuance9
Is it possible to specify different block locations in different modules?
  • 2004/9/10 15:35

• nuance9

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/13

Is it possible to specify different block locations in different modules?

For instance, on the main page I would like a block to be positioned on the right. But in the XDirectory I would like it Center-Left. Is this possible?

nuance9
Re: Is it possible to specify different block locations in different modules?
  • 2004/9/11 16:53

• nuance9

• Just popping in

What's the deal? It seems like most of my posts never get replied to. Is this the wrong forum to post these types of questions? Is there another forum where I can get some technical info on implementing xoops?

Mithrandir

Many questions, few to answer. Sometimes this means that posts are not answered and "drop" below the attention level.

To answer your question; no it is not currently possible to have a block with one position on one page and another position on another page.

DonXoop

The deal is that not every question gets answered right away. And it is Saturday over here and Sunday on the other side of the planet. It is all volunteer.

However, you can't simply place the blocks like you want. It is a topic that has come up before, try a search and you'll see various discussions.

What I did to accomplish what you want is to create a clone of some blocks which then allows me independant control over placement. Search for clone, block clone, etc and you find lots of info. Some blocks are easier to clone than others.

nuance9
  • 2004/9/11 22:51

• nuance9

• Just popping in

Quote:
The deal is that not every question gets answered right away. And it is Saturday over here and Sunday on the other side of the planet. It is all volunteer.

I understand that. And I really wasn't trying to complain, it's just this is the second or third message that has just slowly disappeared off the bottom of the screen with no replies. Thank you for the direction.

dheltzel
  • 2004/9/12 0:19

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
To answer your question; no it is not currently possible to have a block with one position on one page and another position on another page.

Mith,
What would happen if you set a block to only show in a certain module, then manually "cloned" the records related to that block in the newblocks and block_module_link tables, but make the needed adjustments to show the block in a differnt module and a different position?

I realize that from a "user support" position, it is easier to just say you can't do that, but it seems like it would work, just not from the admin interface.

Maybe I'll try it and report back later
Dennis

Mithrandir

I don't know if going through the database manually is a good way - however, I used the same block function and same template for Recent and Top News with just a few lines in xoops_version.php. That should work (Just remember to call the second block something DIFFERENT! from the original )

dheltzel
  • 2004/10/8 19:06

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
I don't know if going through the database manually is a good way

You're right, of course, but being a DBA, hacking directly in the DB just feels like the fun thing to do. Perhaps I should be more careful what I recommend.

For anyone considering doing this, it's dangerous and could wreak havoc. But it's still a cool "thought experiment".

Dennis

studioC
  • 2004/10/8 19:24

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

hi,

it's not possible doing that using normal theme.html cause you once set the blockstructure.

I've done this once using different "theme.hml" for different modules. If you use a script which gives you the actual modulinformation you can use a querry like this :

put this in header.php or before opening head tag in theme.html ....
<{php}>
$module = $GLOBALS['xoopsModule'];
if ( isset($module) ) {
$module = $module->getVar('dirname');
}
else {
$module = 'system';
}
$GLOBALS['xoopsTpl']->assign('modname', $module);
<{/php}>

now you can use different blocklayouts different module
use eg. before body tag ----

<if $modname ='system'><{include file="yourtheme/blocksettings_system.html"}>
<if $modname ='news'><{include file="yourtheme/blocksettings_news.html"}>
---
(edit: written out of head: hope it works, otherwise post again, i will look at that..)

and put that stuff (here: complete body with different blockstructure) you need in included files.... but take care installing new modules and that ...

cheers
michael

carnuke
Re:Is it possible to specify different block locations in different modules?
  • 2004/10/10 7:39

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

There is a module called themechanger this allows a specific theme to be used for any installed module. Unfortunately,Icannot see it here on xoops,butI have used it successfully. It also allows custom meta tags per module. OK, one would simply postition the blocks for a specific module in theme.html and link it via themechanger.

edit: here it is...https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1473&com_id=10681&com_rootid=7488&#comment10681

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits