netuser
Homepage
  • 2004/7/22 9:20

• netuser

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/21

Hi,
how do i add a static homepage??????????

chapi
Re: Homepage
  • 2004/7/22 10:42

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

What do you mean by a "static homepage"?

You can set the startmodul to "none" and add a custom block for the startpage. Maybe this is what you want?

OpMama
  • 2004/7/22 13:00

• OpMama

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/22

Chapi, related question - how do I have two "module free pages" - I want a start page and a second page where I can customize the center text, have blocks on the side columns. I have a top page and module pages, I assume I need to duplicate the top page, but I'm not sure which files in the main directory that involves (sorry, total newbie!!). Be gentle in your answers, I'm VERY new to playing in code .

Thank you!

(Love Tiny Content by the way).

ajaxbr
  • 2004/7/22 14:47

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Hi OpMama,
I've used the Contact Us mod to create an empty module, dubbed Anyother. It will let you create another "Top Page", like I'm doing right now athttp://www.zoologia.bio.br/xoops/modules/anyother/

jmass
  • 2004/7/22 15:01

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

That is how I handled the situation. I had a bare bones module that only loads a static html file. It can have submenu entries as well and worked great!

The only downside is that there is no way to edit the content via the web only at the command line or ftp.

So I switched to TinyD. It allows me to created static pages within the web interface. I can then hide the module, nad link to the static pages as needed. This is my new way to do it and I love it.

JMass

Booga
  • 2004/7/22 15:39

• Booga

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/29

I copied this fromhttp://www.macambridge.com/dummies/ and awesome site that is helping me tremendously. Check it out!!

Quote:
You can also use a one-page module setup which will give you the advantage of having the link to your page appear in the main menu. Using a one-page module will also allow you to use the blocks visibility settings for the module because it appears as an option when selecting which modules the page should be visible in.

Once one module is created multitudes of duplicates can be made, this only involves tweaking about two lines.

To download a useable example click Here

To setup a one page module first create a folder and name it anything. You only need two main files inside the folder and a module image file which appears in the XOOPS modules admin.

So, you need a content file for your HTML called index.php, and a php file called xoops_version.php. The other image file only appears in the XOOPS modules admin

In this instance your content file (index.php) will look like this

<?php
include("../../mainfile.php");
include(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/header.php");
$xoopsOption['show_rblock'] = 0;
?>

Your HTML Content Here (No Head and Body Tags)

<?php
include(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/footer.php");

?>

Save this file as index.php

To turn this into a module you will also need to create the file called xoops_version.php with the following content

<?php
$modversion['name'] = "mypage";//name of module
$modversion['version'] = 1.01;
$modversion['description'] = "My Module";
$modversion['author'] = "";
$modversion['credits'] = "";
$modversion['help'] = "";
$modversion['license'] = "GPL see LICENSE";
$modversion['official'] = 0;
$modversion['image'] = "blackhat.gif";
$modversion['dirname'] = "mypage";//same name as directory folder

// Admin things
$modversion['hasAdmin'] = 0;
$modversion['adminpath'] = "";

// Menu you can add submenus as links to other content files or modules

$modversion['hasMain'] = 1;//0 to remove link from main menu
//$modversion['sub'][1]['name'] = _MI_MYPAGE_SMNAME1;//define in language/english/global.php
//$modversion['sub'][1]['url'] = "../../modules/ipboard/";
//$modversion['sub'][2]['name'] = _MI_MYPAGE_SMNAME2;//define in language/english/global.php
//$modversion['sub'][2]['url'] = "../../modules/weblog/";

?>

I have commented out the sub-menu links so they will not appear in the module, these can also be deleted if no sub-menu required.

Notice this line from the code above::

$modversion['dirname'] = "mypage";//name of directory

The name must match the name of the folder you created

Include an image file for your Module:

$modversion['image'] = "blackhat.gif";//image for your module appears in admin

Inside your module folder you should now have

index.php (content file)
xoops_version.php (module file)
the image file that appears in the XOOPS modules admin

Add your HTML content to the content file (index.php) and upload it to your modules folder on your server i.e.

www.yoursite.com/modules

Then go to System Admin-> Modules and install the module. This module name will appear as a link to the HTML content in your Main Menu. Remember to add access permissions in System Admin-> Groups

once you have created this one page module you could set it to be your top page and then make it invisible.....

Great idea!!

DonXoop

Those are all good ways with each having a plus and a minus. Using a simple or crappy module and emptying it out to make an easy clone is what I use as well as TinyD. Hiding TinyD (and its clones) is a good trick to put static content anywhere. It is just more difficult to isolate blocks in one article and not another.

To keep my users somewhat happy with the newbb and hold them until the new one comes along I used a blank module as a spot to put a newbb cloned RecentPosts block in. Made it long so they can get caught up easily. The PopularPosts block is a left side block. The normal RecentPosts block is a left side block in other modules. That and some tiny hacks and my users aren't complaining too much.

m0nty
  • 2004/7/22 16:06

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

or you could use freecontent module and turn the webdigest off..

then create an html or php file with your homepage on it etc, use your favourite editor to create the html page.. and then tell freecontent to use that html file..

turn off the block and set freecontent as ur top page and voila

of course you will need to edit the html file again if you ever want to change the content.

i'm working on a custom module for my site to be able to actually change the homepage content from within XOOPS admin, but how my homepage is set up i want each box linked.. if u want to take a look it'shttp://www.clubithard.co.uk

the center column is the actual static html page, when i'm finished each section of it will be able to be edited including the image via XOOPS admin..

altho i'm running into a lot of problems as my php knowledge is bare minimum..

OpMama
  • 2004/7/22 17:02

• OpMama

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/22

Good, it wasn't such a dumb question (always hate it when the answer is too obvious!!).

I think I'll try the TinyD and/or Freecontent route. I read the XOOPS for Dummies answer, and while it is an awesome resource, that is definitely one of the places it turns into "Xoops for Dummies ... who know how to code in three languages already". LOL - no complaints, but messing too deeply with html files seems like a sure way to smuck up my site forever.

ajaxbr
  • 2004/7/22 18:06

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Quote:

OpMama wrote:
I read the XOOPS for Dummies answer, and while it is an awesome resource, that is definitely one of the places it turns into "Xoops for Dummies ... who know how to code in three languages already". LOL - no complaints, but messing too deeply with html files seems like a sure way to smuck up my site forever.
Actually it's at least as simple as the other routes: click on my Anyother link above or on for Dummies example, install the empty module and start adding blocks to your new Top Page

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits