• Since: 2004/6/29

MadFish
Re: Yellow Pages module out now..
  • 2004/6/30 4:16

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
I'm more than willing to pay. The thread seemed to suggest that it wouldn't be released because of licencing issues. I WANT TO PAY.

Fear not ! He is entitled to sell his work and you are entitled to pay for it if you want to. However, *if* its subject to GPL and you buy it then you are also entitled to distribute it yourself.

Quote:
Some modules are so useful and can be used to make site owners cash that it is only fair that the developer gets paid.

I agree that developers should be rewarded for their work. However, *if* its based on the XOOPS GPL code then it builds on the efforts of a lot of other people who made this work available for free. Selling a module is only one way to make money - if you wanted this module customised who would you call

Edit: Commissioning Devs to write modules on a per-job basis might be a good way to go. There's a lot of demand in the community to make or finish particular modules. If enough community members were interested in putting in a few bucks to *pay* a Dev to do it, it might speed up the process. The community gets a module and the Dev gets paid for their work ? What do you think ?

(Just a suggestion, no flames please - I know that a lot of Devs do it for love).

Anonymous
  • 2004/6/30 6:04

• Anonymous

• Since:

For well put together modules, I am willing to pay, like i said before. If it is the money which is keeping NEW, BETTER and IMPROVED modules from releasing...I dont think a few bucks will hurt!...sometimes I think, My site is missing something, and when I find out what that something is...IT IS NOT AVAIBLE..AND IF IT IS....THE MODULE IS REALLY NOT UP TO PAR FOR WHAT I WANT....*smile*....Lets get the ball rolling....

*chants* We want better modules, we want newer modules.... *smiles*

Looks into wallet....

MadFish
  • 2004/6/30 6:34

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

I guess to progress this we would need to find out (as a start) i) if there is enough support within the community to make it viable, ii) what modules people are interested in contributing towards, iii) which module Dev teams, if any, would be willing to participate in such an arrangement - its their time & projects.

Anonymous
  • 2004/6/30 6:39

• Anonymous

• Since:

1. "if there is enough support within the community to make it viable"

Everytime I logg on to the site there are more than a 100 people surfing the site....plus, all the registered users to this site..All the users, actually using Xoops, Im sure there are more than enough people willing to contribute, for a speed up module dev. process....you get 200 people, 5 dollars a pop....you have a quick, thousand dollars....

2. "what modules people are interested in contributing towards"

I think this can be done with Polls....

3. which module Dev teams, if any, would be willing to participate in such an arrangement - its their time & projects.

I think this can be done with a simple Forum topic...and reply.....

eq

MadFish
  • 2004/6/30 6:58

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Since there seems to be a second thread of discussion going on about this, I suggest that we move further comments to the other thread as it contains a lot more info about the GPL etc.

The discussion on 'commissioned modules' moved to this thread.

Shakey
  • 2004/8/3 19:35

• Shakey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/28

I am anxiously awaiting and willing to pay for coding that upgrades XDirectory to the same functionality (guides, coupons, multiple category listings) as does folcomliving.com When can I get it?!?

JohnS
  • 2004/8/16 18:47

• JohnS

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/10

I'm interested as well... When can we get our hands on the free and $99 version? I've got a bug where xdirectory appears to be conflicting with wfsection and would love to squash it.

It appears that both modules have a conflict with $orderby. I get a blank page unless I comment it out in either module.

My only concern with xdirectory and payment is really with support and maintenance of the module. Anyone else worried about the risk of having development of a non-opensource module resting with one person? What happens if they get bored, stop development, or suddenly lose interest? What about updates, functionality, etc.

Anyway, great start on a great module. Please let me know about timing. Thanks!

chardiar
  • 2004/8/17 19:37

• chardiar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/16

Hi builderb you said:

"I've implemented quite a few new features for xdirectory that haven't been released.

The version I'm using has:

-E-commerce (paypal only) for a monthly subscription or a one year subscription where you get one month free.
-Multiple categories
-Coupons, etc, etc,"

Can you add a preview to ads, too?

Thanks,

chardiar.

chardiar
  • 2004/8/23 16:36

• chardiar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/16

Quote:

builderb wrote:
I've implemented quite a few new features for xdirectory that haven't been released.

The version I'm using has:

-E-commerce (paypal only) for a monthly subscription or a one year subscription where you get one month free.
-Multiple categories
-Coupons
-Alphabetical Listings
-Premium Listings with start and expiration dates(premium listings can be defined for each category the listing appears in)
-Ratings now have comments
-e-Mail form
-Malls
-WiFi Hotspots
-modify listing is now restricted to the owner of the listing. (I plan to make two modify pages; one where anyone can submit changes and it is approved or not approved by the administrator and two where the owner can submit their changes in real time.)

This version will be released eventually for a fee. I haven't come up with a price yet but was thinking @ $99 - USD.

I welcome any comments.

-Builderb

Hi builderb,

Can you add the following one, too?:

-A preview of ad.

-Renewal notice.

-Expiration notice.

-When submiting a ad delete itself before of days "x" if it is not approved.

-Add country, state, city and zip into search.

-Option to charge for ads based on the number of words contained in the ad.

-Choose the way of payment user want.

Options (examples):

-Credit Card (by 2checkout)
-Moneybookers
-Western Union
-Check
-Mail

How can I get the full xdirectory more these features?

Thanks,

chardiar.

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits