Tocpe
WF-Section v2.0.1 - You might wanna wait for the next version...
  • 2004/6/10 17:25

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/28

I just thought I'd let everyone know that they might want to steer clear of the current release of WF-Sections v2.0.1. I don't think Catz is associated with this version because it is very buggy.

It is listed as being the "...long awaited first full release of this module."
See the download section of the site.

But I'm not so sure it should be used as a final stable module. I have found it to be very unpredictable, buggy and actually fairly difficult to set up. It's almost as if Catz gave it over to a new team and they simply released it without fixied the existing bugs.

I've been using it now for a couple of days and I have already found the following problems:

- In order to hide a section from appearing in the main menu, you can't simply choose no in the "add section to main menu". First you have to choose yes, then save your changes. Then you go back to the section configuration page, choose no and save your configuration. Then it actually listens to you...
- The author's avatar doesn't appear in any of the pages. Neither in the article or in the author's block.
- When writing an article it converts any XOOPS code to html, and usually does this poorly. There are usually lots of formatting errors in the resulting html code.
- Linked path & Links and Select Box do not appear to provide usable navigation options. If you choose them they do not allow the user to actually navigate anywhere. They appear to be incomplete code.
- Turning off the "Add copyright to articles" option does not work. WF-Sections will add the copyright to all the articles no matter what you choose.

These are just some of the "glitches" I found that I began to document. There are lots of other little bugs and glitches that I have run into the last couple of days that didn't make this list. Overall, this "release", IMHO, is not useable in a production environment. It runs like it's still in Beta testing and is buggy.

Fritz
Re: WF-Section v2.0.1 - You might wanna wait for the next version...
  • 2004/6/10 18:09

• Fritz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/5 1

While I can confirm that there are some bugs, I'm not sure that I would agree on the whole with the conclusion that it should be avoided all together.

In my opinion, there are simply too many great features that I can't seem to find anywhere else. I can deal with a few bugs as long as they don't cause serious malfunctions, and I intend to work with the developers (I think Catz is still involved) to help iron out the bugs.

In defense of Catz (and any other developers), there were previously many requests made in the forums for this codes to be released asap.

Obviously, however, it would be good if these bugs were to be fixed soon.

comegona
  • 2004/6/10 18:16

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

But is ver2.0.1 still in Beta? Was it officially released as a stable version?

comegona
  • 2004/6/10 18:23

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

OK I checked the website that stated it was finally released, although the upgrade script was yet to be made. The question is now, why release a new version of a module then have us wait for an update script? Shouldn’t they be both in the package?

I think this module creating business needs some rules and regulations.

Tocpe
  • 2004/6/10 18:25

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

Don't get me wrong I love the mod, and I'm gonna use it. But I'm a little cautious with this release in the state that it's in right now. I'd like to see a lot more of the bugs squashed.

If this is case of "let's get it out to the users as fast as we can cause they've been begging for it and we promise to fix the bugs asap". Then that's fine. All they need to do is say that on the download page. I can live with that. It's just that the dowload page made it apear that this particular version was solid and all ready for Prime Time.

Fritz
  • 2004/6/10 18:59

• Fritz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/5 1

Agreed.

Maybe the recent events and changes in the responsibilities played a part in the current state of this module.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/10 20:22

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

to be fair..

WF Sections 2.01 finally released..

to me that doesn't mean it's a final stable release.

i read it as ok you wanted to see it, so finally here it is.. there's been numerous discussions and i think any of the developers will say it's not a final version, rather a beta version still.. i think it was released so people can see some of the features that are going to be featured in the full and final version..

Tocpe
  • 2004/6/10 20:39

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
to be fair..

WF Sections 2.01 finally released..

to me that doesn't mean it's a final stable release.

i read it as ok you wanted to see it, so finally here it is.. there's been numerous discussions and i think any of the developers will say it's not a final version, rather a beta version still.. i think it was released so people can see some of the features that are going to be featured in the full and final version..

fair enough, Well I have it going and am busy submitting bug reports like mad on their site. Guess we'll wait and see how things go.

davidl2
  • 2004/6/12 6:50

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Looks like Catz isnt involved now - and the new people are a bit eager to release none betas :(

Still - I look forward to a reliable version - and I'll use it straight away/

Catzwolf
  • 2004/6/12 11:58

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

@Tocpe:

While I agree with your statements I do however find your method of criticism rather harsh. But we value your opinions.

I know we released this module and the others in their current state and this was deliberate. We felt the more people who use WF-Section, the better the feedback would be and hopefully we could eliminate the last remaining bugs and problems that still remain with the code.

The WF-Section module is not as simple as it first looks, far from it. As with all complex code, I would be surprised if there where not bugs or problems at this stage of development and we (with your help) will hopefully get a more stable and useable ‘module’ in the future.

I believe many of the problems you and other have been experiencing is due more to the lack of documentation as opposed to coding errors. But that’s another story altogether.

Liquid
WF-Section Webmaster.

Login

Who's Online

260 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 260

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits