bigjohn
main page layout questions...
  • 2004/5/23 20:45

• bigjohn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/23

Hi.

Just installed my first xoops.. and it's befuddling me.

I want an announcement at the top of the page (just like they have here on XOOPS main page). And I want news and stuff under that. But nothing I do with the 'weights' seems to make my news article/summary come to the top.

And I can't seem to find where you would put a static announcement, like the 'admin messages' on phpnuke.

Help?

Sorry for sounding like such a newbie...

John

Mithrandir
Re: main page layout questions...

We've all been newbies once

The welcome message on this site is a "custom HTML block" which you can make yourself by going to the administration menu -> system admin -> blocks
Below the list of module blocks is an input form, where you can place text, HTML code or php code - depending on the type you select in the drop-down menu in the bottom.

After you have created the block and in the process, selected which modules it is visible in (or just on the front page), you can go to system admin -> groups and edit the "block access rights" for each group to be accessible or invisible to individual usergroups.

Happy XOOPS'ing

davidl2
  • 2004/5/23 21:16

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

You can even, as I do on my site, have 2 custom blocks - one for anonymous users and another for registered.

bigjohn
  • 2004/5/23 22:38

• bigjohn

• Just popping in

How do you do that?

I select "top page" / "anonymous users", then scroll to the bottom of the page and add a new block... but it always adds it to the 'registerd users', not the 'anonymous users' block....

and I'd like the first couple of 'news' items to be at the top... or maybe just the most recent... before the sections about 'top posts' and forums stuff...

John

tl
  • 2004/5/23 22:50

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:

After you have created the block and in the process, selected which modules it is visible in (or just on the front page), you can go to system admin -> groups and edit the "block access rights" for each group to be accessible or invisible to individual usergroups.

As Mithrandir explained, you need to set group permission. XOOPS defaults to registered users group when you are adding any blocks.

After you've set the permission, then you can go back to Block Admin set the weight.

Hope this is clear enough. It IS a bit confusing, sometimes.

bigjohn
  • 2004/5/23 23:19

• bigjohn

• Just popping in

Ahh.. well, yes. If you select to view blocks visible to anon users, it should not show the 'add new block' section there - it's not in the proper context, if you understand what I'm saying... this is after all 'object oriented'...

So that 'add' block should only appear in context where it can 'add a block within that context'.

John
Quote:

Hope this is clear enough. It IS a bit confusing, sometimes.

tl
  • 2004/5/23 23:21

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

Well, you would have to take up with the developers. I agreed with you on that point.

bigjohn
  • 2004/5/23 23:26

• bigjohn

• Just popping in

Ok...

now, I have ALL BLOCKS except my custom block 'disallowed' from users, yet it's showing a news item...

How can I stop that?

Seehttp://americanhomebrewer.com

And how do I make that news item (which seems to not be part of any block???) appear above the 'forums' and other center area blocks?

John

tl
  • 2004/5/23 23:31

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

You mean the news items? You need to take the access right off for anonymous user group under System->Groups

[edit] BTW, your site is the only one recently I saw has the integrity of keeping theme designer [7dana]'s credit intact. You have my respect. Congrats. [/edit]

bigjohn
  • 2004/5/23 23:33

• bigjohn

• Just popping in

but then they don't even get my custom block.

Login

Who's Online

131 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 131

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits