riaanvdb
myReviews v2.1 module update!
  • 2004/5/16 20:21

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/29

Hi All, there has been some changes, enhancements and updates done to myReviews. This is a stable beta for testing. I am looking for more Beta testers as we get closer to a release candidate, thanks to everyone contributing in this regard. Bugs may be logged in dev.xoops.org. The myReviews download is available here

Grotmis
Riaan
CraftsOnline

Updates: v2.1 Beta6:
- Fixed a bug that made the right column drop to the botom of the page in 3 column view mode.
- Added module menu like the one in system admin.
- Detail.php was giving a blank page under certain conditions of POST.
- Added links "Tell a friend | Modify review | Write editorial | Edit | Write review | Broken link" to the detail.php file
- Added display number of lines config to waiting reviews block.
- Adapted star ratings to incremment by 1/2 stars.
- Added image upload on submission.
- Added homepage link pic. (if a homepage now url is used)
- Added Cart link pic. (if a buy now url is used)
- Changes made to image linking. Clicking on the review image will load the image into it's own window for larger display.
- Added Love at first sight menu item and page. This is used by administrator to select certain items they like more than others. These items are marked with an icon.
- Added Site Recommendation menu item and page. This is used by administrator to select certain items they would like to recommend to browsers. These items are marked with an icon.
- Added icon legends to the bottom of the page.
- Changed admin of rating categories to administer 5 levels deep.

gauntlet
Re: myReviews v2.1 module update!
  • 2004/5/17 20:30

• gauntlet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/22

is there a good way/bad way to upgrade from beta 5 to beta 6 without losing data? I've never upgraded a module before.

gauntlet
  • 2004/5/17 23:27

• gauntlet

• Just popping in

Suggestion for beta 7

For the Manage Rating Categories, would it be possible to make a setting to 'Apply All'? I just added 32 top level categories and over 100 Sub Categories and each has the same 4 category ratings...took over 1 hour to add them all.

Beta 6 looks great so far. I haven't seen any bugs, but I'll try to flush them out tonight.

gauntlet
  • 2004/5/18 0:14

• gauntlet

• Just popping in

I cannot upload an image for a review when using the user submit. Which dir does the image go into? I chmod'd 777 every dir and can't find it and end up with the niimage.gif file. Whats the trick?

There are some table errors, but i think thats just when there are no reviews present as they left once a review was added, so no big deal.

Also when you click a link to goto a review (http://www.domainname.com/modules/myReviews/detailfile.php?lid=6) the image is missing and just displays the No Image.gif file. I assume it should be the image for the item to be reviewed right? Also I believe the detail file used to have the description, which is now missing. Once a review is added, the description re-appears.

Is there a block that has for new reviews and includes the image? If not i'll probably make one tonight. Thanks again...love it so far and great work.

Tocpe
  • 2004/5/18 2:55

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/28

beta6:
If you manually upload your image to {your url}/modules/myReviews/images/shots the images appear. But I'm having the same problem with the user image upload not appearing to work either. Also, is there anyway you can remove/rework the image upload text for the user? I rather they not see the URL (why should they care where it goes anyways right? It's off their hardrive. )

I think it might be best to completely remove the screenshot IMG blank form with the instructions on the user side and just replace it with a "Upload image" button with a short restriction blurb on max image & file size along with format info.

Just a thought. Haven't run into any other bugs other than that. But still diggin'

BTW, is there going to be anyway to turn off some of the menu options like "We Recommend", "Love at First Sight" etc?

And Is there a way to add a "Sorry no Reviews in this section" blurb when a user hits a section in the browse area with no reviews. Like if they click on the "A" in browse mode and there aren't any reviews in that category.

Tocpe
  • 2004/5/18 3:13

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/28

Why does it say "[Insert Category/subCategory Name here] Bottom 10 (Rating)" when you list the "We Recommend" reviews from the Main menu? Shouldn't that be the top 10? Is it a typo in the Language file?

Hall of Fame doesn't appear to work, or is there a minimum number of reviews/ratings etc that need to be entered before a review can qualify for "Hall of Fame"? If there is a minimum. We need a page (other than a blank one) telling the users that no reviews qualify yet until at least one of the reviews qualifies for the Hall of Fame.

riaanvdb
  • 2004/5/18 7:11

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

gauntlet wrote:
is there a good way/bad way to upgrade from beta 5 to beta 6 without losing data? I've never upgraded a module before.

Hi gauntlet, I made some database changes from Beta5 to 6, you will have to reinstall the module. As soon as we go into a release candidate state I will start including upgrade scripts.

Grotmis
Riaan

riaanvdb
  • 2004/5/18 7:15

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

gauntlet wrote:
Suggestion for beta 7

For the Manage Rating Categories, would it be possible to make a setting to 'Apply All'? I just added 32 top level categories and over 100 Sub Categories and each has the same 4 category ratings...took over 1 hour to add them all.

Hi gauntlet, I will add a button that will add a rating category to all existing categories where it does not exist in the next release Good suggestion!

Grotmis
Riaan

riaanvdb
  • 2004/5/18 7:26

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

Hi gauntlet,
Quote:

gauntlet wrote:
I cannot upload an image for a review when using the user submit. Which dir does the image go into? I chmod'd 777 every dir and can't find it and end up with the niimage.gif file. Whats the trick?

The images are uploaded to the images/shots directory as a random number filename and linked in the database to the review. Could you select php debug and see if there is any problem that the image does not inload. Weird.
Quote:

There are some table errors, but i think thats just when there are no reviews present as they left once a review was added, so no big deal.

I will try and simulate this scenario to see the errors.
Quote:

Also when you click a link to goto a review (http://www.domainname.com/modules/myReviews/detailfile.php?lid=6) the image is missing and just displays the No Image.gif file. I assume it should be the image for the item to be reviewed right?

This would happen if the image was not successfully uploaded, it will come right once we sort out the problem on the image upload.
Quote:

Also I believe the detail file used to have the description, which is now missing. Once a review is added, the description re-appears.

I will look into this.
Quote:

Is there a block that has for new reviews and includes the image? If not i'll probably make one tonight. Thanks again...love it so far and great work.

I have not added any images to the blocks, will add it as a feature in the next release. Good suggestion.

Grotmis
Riaan

riaanvdb
  • 2004/5/18 7:41

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Tocpe,
Quote:

Tocpe wrote:
beta6:
If you manually upload your image to {your url}/modules/myReviews/images/shots the images appear. But I'm having the same problem with the user image upload not appearing to work either. Also, is there anyway you can remove/rework the image upload text for the user? I rather they not see the URL (why should they care where it goes anyways right? It's off their hardrive. )

The description is taken from the language file and can be changed to anything
Quote:

I think it might be best to completely remove the screenshot IMG blank form with the instructions on the user side and just replace it with a "Upload image" button with a short restriction blurb on max image & file size along with format info.

This sounds like a good idea, I will add it to my todo list thanks.
Quote:

BTW, is there going to be anyway to turn off some of the menu options like "We Recommend", "Love at First Sight" etc?

You are able to turn off any menu item by commenting the 2 line out in the xoops_version.php file ie if you do not want to have the hall of fame the section would look like this: remember to keep the numbering in sequence.

// Menu
$modversion['hasMain'] = 1;

$modversion['sub'][1]['name'] = _MI_myReviews_SMNAME3;
$modversion['sub'][1]['url'] = "submit.php";

$modversion['sub'][2]['name'] = _MI_myReviews_SMNAME1;
$modversion['sub'][2]['url'] = "topten.php?hit=1";

$modversion['sub'][3]['name'] = _MI_myReviews_SMNAME2;
$modversion['sub'][3]['url'] = "topten.php?rate=1";

$modversion['sub'][4]['name'] = _MI_myReviews_SMNAME4;
$modversion['sub'][4]['url'] = "randomfile.php";

//$modversion['sub'][5]['name'] = _MI_myReviews_SMNAME5;
//$modversion['sub'][5]['url'] = "halloffame.php";

$modversion['sub'][5]['name'] = _MI_myReviews_SMNAME6;
$modversion['sub'][5]['url'] = "onion.php?rate=1";
Quote:

And Is there a way to add a "Sorry no Reviews in this section" blurb when a user hits a section in the browse area with no reviews. Like if they click on the "A" in browse mode and there aren't any reviews in that category.

I will add this to the todo list. Good suggestion!

Grotmis
Riaan

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits