Wilkinsa
What Makes you choose?
  • 2004/5/12 1:46

• Wilkinsa

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/13

As alot of you know I am a web host myself. I would like to know what you base your purchase on. Please feel free to put your experiences down here as well.

Stewdio
Re: What Makes you choose?
  • 2004/5/12 2:01

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Flexibility, uptime, reliability and customer service are high on my list.

As far as features goes, I look for MySQL DB's. Not one, not 5 but 10 or more. (I currently have unlimited.) I also look for unlimited subdomains, unlimied pop3 accounts, lots of space and plenty of bandwidth for future growth.

Of course seeing my host stay up to date on the latest kernel, perl versions, php updates and sql versions are important to me as well.

Telnet would be nice to have on request if a provider/customer relationship trust can be established, but that belongs on my wishlist more then anything else.

A host that runs it's own Data Center is a BIG plus (mine does)

I shouldn't have to mention competitive rates.

limecity
  • 2004/5/12 2:46

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

i'll go for
Responsible and Reliable Web hosting..

Fast reaction to client's problem..
Fast respond...

Everything fast..
Transfer fast...
Suports fast...

Daily backup of data..

Wilkinsa
  • 2004/5/19 15:52

• Wilkinsa

• Just popping in

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate it. Trying to improve my buisness to those kind of standards.

-Adam

limecity
  • 2004/5/25 18:30

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Here is a thing i don't quite understand..

why is it some SMALL hosting companies are able to provide unlimited SQL and unlimited emails and subdomains..
amd with cheaper price too~

and some hosting companies offer 10 sql 5 subdomain and 10 emails.. and yet its more expensive..

just a competition matter or there is a explaination behind it?

tl
  • 2004/5/25 18:42

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Small hosting companies are usually one-two person shop and are reselling one or two servers. If you want a reliable hosting, you probably want to avoid those companies.

If you wanted to, you could rent a server from Everyone's Internet for US $99 a month and start your own hosting company.

How to tell is the company is a re-seller? Do a query from the IP assigning authority - just type your web IP, you will know who owns the IP.

ARIN for North America

RIPE for European

Wilkinsa
  • 2004/5/25 21:33

• Wilkinsa

• Just popping in

First of all I have to disagree with you assumption about small hosting companies. I am one of those 1-2 man shops (Soon to be larger though have plans in the works to merge. No there is no stock for sale ) However before I became a hosting company/provider I found it was easier to communicate with a smaller company as long as the person who ran the shop was there to help. I will agree that these people are rare and the over night hosts have given the industry and resellers a bad name.

On the unlimited bit. That is all a ploy to get peoples business. There is no such thing as unlimited anything. The only exception I can think of may be accounts like FTP accounts or e-mail accounts. but dont be fooled you still get the same bandwidth and same space just cause you get 'unlimited' e-mail accounts dosnt mean you have the space for those accounts.

-Adam

tl
  • 2004/5/25 22:04

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:
First of all I have to disagree with you assumption about small hosting companies. I am one of those 1-2 man shops (Soon to be larger though have plans in the works to merge. No there is no stock for sale ) However before I became a hosting company/provider I found it was easier to communicate with a smaller company as long as the person who ran the shop was there to help. I will agree that these people are rare and the over night hosts have given the industry and resellers a bad name.

Adam, sorry for stepping on your toes. Seriously, I would not host with a reseller. It is not because that these companies/people are bad (as a matter of fact, the one I dealt once with was very nice), but the lack of capability of serving customers 7/24.

I agreed with you - there is no unlimited thing. Web logs, MySQL databases, email, whatever, are all accounted as space used. One thing that I learnt is that web logs could eat into your space allocation quickly.

Dave_L
  • 2004/5/26 1:20

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

In addition to what others have said, one thing I like about my current host is that when there's a problem, they promptly provide full details on what caused the problem (even if its their fault), and what they're doing to resolve it.

Wilkinsa
  • 2004/5/27 15:41

• Wilkinsa

• Just popping in

TL dont worry bout it man! Its a forum we are here to say our opinions You can personaly not want to host with a reseller that is fine.

Dave I do try and let my people know what problems are causing what issues. Including the ones that I screw up and I think that is a valuable policy. Thanks for that input.

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits