WarDick
Please install XooGle on this site
  • 2004/5/4 21:09

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

The core search feature is very poor. Please install XooGle on this site.

ladon
Re: Please install XooGle on this site
  • 2004/5/4 21:39

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

Sounds like a very good idea. Don't know if it's workable enough yet, but any improvement on the XOOPS standard search would be nice. It's pretty hard to find stuff if you don't know the exact words

WarDick
  • 2004/5/4 21:42

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for your support,

I am not 100% happy with it either. But I know the developer can make it as good as it needs to be with our suggestions.

carnuke
  • 2004/5/4 21:54

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

There is one snag with Xoogle ... it includes google results in an ordinary XOOPS search results as if they were just another module on the site. In other words you get google results somewhere between the other modules. Ideally they need to be filtered out and only returned from a google search.

The XOOPS search really needs a regex so that we can see context snippets in the results. There is another module being developed that does this... Called phpdighttps://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1415
Richard

WarDick
  • 2004/5/4 21:59

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Could this issue be resolved in a template?

carnuke
  • 2004/5/4 22:01

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Thats a question for fatman I guess. Maybe PHPdig needs a little push forwards (see link in my last post)

WarDick
  • 2004/5/4 22:20

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

@ carnuke

Yes thanks for pointing me towards digger. It is probably the better choice. Very configurable. Most important - no search limits like Google imposes. Not very practicle here with limits on the number of searchs performed.

fatman
  • 2004/5/4 22:48

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

Quote:

There is one snag with Xoogle ... it includes google results in an ordinary XOOPS search results as if they were just another module on the site. In other words you get google results somewhere between the other modules. Ideally they need to be filtered out and only returned from a google search.

This can actually be deactivate rather easily. You just have to modify the xoops_version.php file before installing. Set $modversion['hasSearch'] = 0;

Quote:
The XOOPS search really needs a regex so that we can see context snippets in the results.

This is supported by the results returned by google where by the terms used in the search are highlighted in the search results (is this what you mean?). It's possibly a template issue if this isnt working.

Other than that I would have to say xoogle's biggest limitation for use in a site like this one is the 1000 searches a day limit. Herko would have to confirm, but I think xoops.org might actually hit that limit.

If there are any other bugs/features you think this module is still lacking, please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions at the xoogle project page at dev.xoops.org

cheers.

WarDick
  • 2004/5/4 22:54

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

@fatman

Thanks for your response. Any idea if we could increase this limit? Maybe we could pool our Google id numbers?

fatman
  • 2004/5/4 23:57

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Any idea if we could increase this limit? Maybe we could pool our Google id numbers?

I have thought about this and although it's possible technically we might want to check with google to make sure thats fine.

The idea would be, if you want to use the xoogle search you would have to go get your own google id, then i would dynamically change the xoogle id based on which user was requesting the search. Then a site could in theory support 1000 searches per user, instead of 1000 searches total.

I have heard that google makes exceptions to this 1000 search limit as long as you ask and you're not selling ads on pages where their results are displayed.

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits