Anonymous
*UPLOADING XOOPS with FTP!!! >> URGENT HELP!!
  • 2004/4/19 14:26

• Anonymous

• Since:

i have an FTP program and i have just uploaded
the contents of the HTML folder to my server.... into the public_html folder!!!, it uploaded succesfully, but what do i do now?
i have been told about chmod and templates thing like 777 or something.

please can anyone reply with a 'begginers' explanation,
i have posted so many times and no one understands what i mean by an e x t r e m l y detailed explanation!!

thanks everyone for helping!
reply soon..

chapi
Re: *UPLOADING XOOPS with FTP!!! >> URGENT HELP!!
  • 2004/4/19 14:42

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

http://wiki.xoops.org/wakka.php?wakka=InstallGuide

This page is also in the docs folder of your downloaded package!

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/20 6:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

I have an FTP program and i have just uploaded
the contents of the HTML folder to my server.... into the public_html folder!!!, it uploaded succesfully, but what do i do now?
i have been told about chmod and templates thing like 777 or something.

please can anyone reply with a 'begginers' explanation,
i have posted so many times and no one understands what i mean by an e x t r e m l y detailed explanation!!

thanks everyone for helping!
reply soon..

P.S. wiki, and the other tutorials on XOOPS site
have nothing to do with installing XOOPS with an FTP,
please, and please! do not give me a link, because FAQ
and anything else are useles, im sure all the pros on here didnt use them. i need a deatailed way of installing it
from cuckston, jackl, upstadz, cblue or lance.

djsckizo
  • 2004/4/20 6:53

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Step 1. Calm down.

Step 2. Chmod these folders to 777: Cache, Templates_c, and Uploads. Also, do the same to the file: mainfile.php

If you haven't done this by the time you start to install Xoops, it will tell you by showing you red marks beside the 4 things it checks (the folders and file I listed).

Step 3. Fill in the information it requires.

Step 4. Click the button.

Step 5. Repeate step 4 on every page until it comes to the section that asks you for your log in information. Fill that out, and click the button.

Make sure that you chmod mainfile.php to 444 after you are done. Also, delete the Install folder from your site when you are finished.

The link Chapi gave you is a visual aid that will show you all of the screens that you will go through. The installation process is very simple and straight forward. Just make sure you have set those folders and that file to 777 with your FTP program, and that you have the information it requires.

Oh, and the pros of the site probably did atleast read the Install file in the Doc folder. I know I did.

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/20 11:49

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yeh thanks!
but where do you do the XOOPS intallation.
when i open my server adress (the temporary URL) with internet explorer it just come up with some folders directory.
shouldn't it come up with the XOOPS screen familair to the one in wiki.

what was strange was when you say "If you haven't done this by the time you start to install Xoops, it will tell you by showing you red marks beside the 4 things it checks"
so you dont need to chmod then for XOOPS installation to begin working?
well, in that case i have a different problem probaly not chmod.

because i thought you HAD to change these chmod settings to get XOOPS working..

- max

Herko
  • 2004/4/20 12:23

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

FULL DETAILED INSTALL GUIDE

step one: downloading the latest XOOPS system package.
The first thing you will need to do if you want to set up your own XOOPS site, is to get the latest version of the XOOPS system files. These files are convinently packaged in a compressed archive (zipped for windows users, and a tarball for linux users). Click here to go to the 'latest version' page. When you have downloaded the latest version, continue to step two.

step two: unpacking the latest XOOPS system archive.
Now that you have the archive stored on your local computer, it first needs to be decompressed, or unpacked to a local folder. For windows users it is the easiest thing to create a new folder on your desktop called XOOPS, and extract the archive into that folder. Zip files need to be extracted with a compression tool that can handle zip files. The most well-known of those is winzip. Windows XP has native .zip support however. For more information on extracting .zip archives, I refer to the user manual of the application you're using to extract the archive. When the archive is extracted, continue to step three.

step three: uploading the system files to the server.
Now that you have a local copy of the system files on your computer, you will need to upload the system to the webserver.
NOTE: XOOPS will only run on webservers that have at least PHP 4.1.0 and a mySQL database. Check with your hosting provider to see if your hosting account is suited for XOOPS.
Fire up your FTP application, connect to the webserver, and go to the folder that will contain your site's root (most often this is a public_html/ folder. This means that the XOOPS site will show when you go to the URL of your site. Check the hosting provider's documentation to find out exactly where the site's root is located). Use a subfolder if you don't want your XOOPS site to be in the site's root.
Now, upload the contents of the /HTML/ folder (not the folder itself, but ALL it's contents) to the site's root folder. Thus, you're creating (at least) the following structure:

public_html/cache/
public_html/templates_c/
public_html/modules/
etc. For public_html/ read your own site's root folder.

If all files are uploaded (this may take a while), continue to step four.

step four: changing the access rights of the folders and files.
This step can also be done during the install process itself, but it's easier to do it while you're in the FTP application.
To change the access right of the files and folders on the server, you will have to find out how to use the CHMOD command or feature in your FTP application. Most have it in the rightclick context menu, under options or something similar. Just rightclick on the file mainfile.php, and change the acces rights to 777 (all rights for everyone). You can also CHMOD folders, and you will have to repeat this for the cache/ templates_c/ and uploads/ folders, all in your site's root.

Now that the folders and mainfile have been made writable, you can start the installation process. And that is step five.

step five: the XOOPS installer.
The XOOPS system has an easy installer. Once you have succesfully uploaded the files, and set the access rights of the appropriate file and folders, you're in for a treat.
Start your browser and point it to your site's root. FOr instance, if you have the domain www.mysite.com, and uploaded the files to sites/www.mysite.com/public_html/, just point your browser to www.mysite.com. This will start the XOOPS installer.
You will need to have some basic information to install you XOOPS site. The MySQL server name where the database for your XOOPS site is installed, the database username and password, and the database name are the most important. This information should have been given to you by your hosting provider when you signed up. If not, contact them to obtain this information. Without it, you can't install XOOPS.

The installer will take you through the entire process, and it would be double to repeat that in this how-to.

Now you're good to go and ready for your XOOPS install!

Herko

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/20 16:25

• Anonymous

• Since:

Thanks Herko your a Hero

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/22 13:58

• Anonymous

• Since:

oooooops.
When I upload the contents of the XOOPS HTML folder
into the public_html folder of my webserver, the only file i can see (well, i can see others) on your list is mainfile.php

the folders u told me to CHMOD are not there.
after the upload, everything is just files.

reply thanks

max

Herko
  • 2004/4/22 14:09

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

The answer is simple then: you haven't uploaded ALL the files and folders in the /HTML/ folder of the package then.

Herko

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/22 14:11

• Anonymous

• Since:

yeh yeh, I use SmartFTP
and i went to upload my files, and draged all the files
in the html folder, all of them.
how come i only see the mainfile.php, although i do see other xooops files, just not the ones you told me to CHMOD and i see no folders from XOOPS on there.

done it 3 times.
its odd,

Login

Who's Online

103 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 103

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits