• Since: 2003/3/20

it's comming and its gonna kick asses
Xaraya 0.9.9

* it will have greater felxibility than XOOPS
* it is OO, modularized, templated and etc, as Xoops
* it promises upgrade scirpts from php-nuke and post-nuke

not at all that XOOPS is bad - just bothered about its future:
1) all prof-developers would choose Xaraya, for its flexibility
2) so XOOPS will be left for amateurs ?? or not so tuff coders (but usually they like Mambo better..)

there's kind of wider problem: people are different . and maybe too often think that separately they can do more than together
So any ideas of XOOPS migrating/joining/merging with Xaraya?
because purposes of Xa&Xo are very similar, if not the same !
I think its good time to use www.opensourcecms.com forum or review space to check out what we can do together . Remember, XOOPS and Xaraya are relatives - they have the same ancestor .

Mithrandir
Re: Xaraya = Xoops history is over ?

I agree that e.g. a Hooks system is nice, but I do think that XOOPS is good enough to stand the competition - and our development is not standing still, either.

All prof-developers will not choose Xaraya only. Some will choose other CMS's as well. That's life - and I'm sure that XOOPS will be able to get its share as well as long as we focus on how it can get better.

(I'm not saying that we should just dismiss Xaraya and everything, but let's not "paint the devil on the wall" (Danish saying) just yet. Let's see what they do well and what we do better )

HughG
  • 2004/4/2 21:33

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Fatal errorCall to undefined function: xargetstatusmsg() in /var/www/ddf/demo.xaraya.com/xaraya-modules/tasks/xaruser/view.php on line 34

Resized Image

I think XOOPS will do ok

fatman
  • 2004/4/2 21:44

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

What I think is worth noting is that the php cms community in general is showing strong signs of maturing past the days the phpnuke. Both XOOPS and Xaraya are good examples of this.

It's good to keep up to date with the php cms community as a whole.

Ultimately at the end of the day a professional will first decide if he/she wants to use an open souce cms as a base or just write any core elements themselves. They will look at whats out there and adopt the cms package which conforms most to their own programming conventions. Like Mithrandir said, some will choose XOOPS some wont. Some may even choose a combination. It's all good.

Mithrandir

In May, I will be writing a University project regarding XOOPS and the Open Source CMS's, in which I will compare XOOPS to other CMS's.

I have so far decided to compare with the following CMS's:
Xaraya
Drupal
phpWebSite
Typo3
Mambo

Any more, you guys would recommend?

I will of course publish the report for you to read.

Mithrandir

Quote:

HughG wrote:
Fatal errorCall to undefined function: xargetstatusmsg() in /var/www/ddf/demo.xaraya.com/xaraya-modules/tasks/xaruser/view.php on line 34

Resized Image

I think XOOPS will do ok

I had no problems installing Xaraya beta 0.9.9 after installing xml extensions to my webserver.

HughG
  • 2004/4/2 22:02

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
I had no problems installing Xaraya beta 0.9.9 after installing xml extensions to my webserver.

ummmm look at the url (demo.xaraya.com)

Thought it funny that after he comes over... boasting - that the representation pulls that error. Call me silly for finding it humorous

Mithrandir

Oh - missed that

sol812
  • 2004/4/2 22:38

• sol812

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/4 1

hello Viking

why you not like compair Postnuke with XOOPS - (or php-nuke) since most of Xaraya team is Postnuke people - or jumping from Postnuke -

also Postnuke new theme editor is a renamed vertion of ยท Encompass - from the ENVOLUTION.COM CMS who is compatible with all themes from PHP-NUKE,Postnuke,encompass, and AutoTheme .
and is a copy of Postnuke - and postnuke is a copy of php-nuke - and XOOPS must be coming via this way too - somehow in start of development I not know.

Just some updates, but in general a compair of many CMS vs XOOPS are not interrsting let people find out what they like themself - better use your energy develop on xoops.

kind regards
SOL812

Mithrandir

The comparison (and much more than that) will not feature PostNuke unless I really have to.

It's a project for University and in this semester, I have taken a course, where we have used PostNuke as example software. And it sucks. Hardly anything Object Oriented. Weird admin interface and it is currently being restructured extensively, making it hard to do a proper test of the system.

PostNuke is not a copy of PHPNuke - it is a breakoff, just like XOOPS is, but it is a long time ago and a lot of development has undergone the CMS's since then.

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits