Re: module required
  • 2004/4/19 19:15

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/29

Hi Tocpe, I wil try and explain as best I can

Quote:
"...you should not change the configuration of the reviews categories..."
Does this mean after we open up the Reviews Module to our users, we can't add or modify categories? What about changing the categories name?

You may change the name of the category as the module tracks the actual id of the category. You may also add or delete categories, but if you delete a category that has reviews in it, the reviews will also be delete in that specific category.

Quote:
"...number of reviews categories,..."
Does this refer to the quantity of categories or some kind of marker number stored in the database?

I have added the code in such a way that it is possible to add new rating categories to a category, but there will not be any rating for that rating category until the person who did the rating actually edits his review and saves it. If you delete a rating category all rating that have been done for that rating category will be delete, but not the entire rating the user did.

Quote:
"...number for the overall review..."
So as an admin we can't go back and modify the overall rating for a review, right? Fair enough.

This one is more tricky. If you decide to have ratings between 1 and 5 (score) and users do some ratings and then you decide that you actually wanted the rating system to go from 1 to 10 (score) the ratings that have already been done will not be adjusted. This feature should be handled by only the administrator.

Quote:
"...and name of reviews categories because this will unlink the names from the data."
So what if we're rating something that's name might change? I mean chances are we're more likely to have mispelled the category, then for the name to need changing. But then again, what if we are reviewing something where the name does change? And we need to change the name of a category?

If you are correcting spelling mistakes it is ok, the system tracks it by id, but if you change the rating category in such a way that the previous ratings in that category and the new description for that rating category is totally different your totals will not make sence. The system will handle the changes, but humans may not. Changing the rating categories to be more descriptive sound about right

Quote:
And what about a review object's name, can we change that after it has voted upon?

Yes, but remember again all ratings assosiated with that object will stay with the object. What I am trying to say is if you change a rating name from "Madonna CD" to "Madonna like a Praire" it is still probably almost the same thing people voted on, but if you change it from "Modonna" to "Def Leppard" people are going to get confused, but not the system

I hope this helps
Grotmis
Riaan

Tocpe
  • 2004/4/19 19:26

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/28

okay cool. That answered all my inital questions. I'm sure I'll have more as time goes by.

riaanvdb
  • 2004/4/21 6:19

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

I have put myReviews v2.1 Beta3 on my site. Some bugs have been fixed and some new features added. Thanks to all the Beta testers.

Grotmis
Riaan
http://www.craftsonline.co.za
-----
It's not a bug it's a feature

malibu
  • 2004/4/24 4:57

• malibu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/16

Riaan~

I was out of town this week, but am uploading the Beta3 right now. I hope I didn't miss too much fun!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

hIBEES
  • 2004/4/25 13:56

• hIBEES

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/20

this sound like wot im after,

i'm looking at putting a new block on my site called "Youth Section"

I would like my youth editor/s to be able to use this section to have players profiles,fixtures that sort of thing!!

Monty how did you get on with this mate??

m0nty
  • 2004/4/25 15:34

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

it's looking good m8..

there's a couple of things i've noticed tho.. doesn't matter whether the review image is set as top or left, it still stays on the left.

the 2nd thing is just basically an icon.. like the little red image that shows for the editorial and the green image that shows for description..

i think it would be nice to have 1 for the review itself.. this may have been overlooked..

other than that i haven't actually found any bugs..

riaanvdb
  • 2004/4/25 16:48

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

Hi m0nty, I have put Beta4 of the myReviews module on both the dev forge and CraftsOnline There was a couple of small changes I did and I added some functionality. Thanks again to all the testers.

Grotmis
Riaan

riaanvdb
  • 2004/4/25 16:53

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
doesn't matter whether the review image is set as top or left, it still stays on the left.

Hi m0nty, I think the description in the admin for that image function is probably not very clear (I will have a look at it). The particular image in this instance is the image next to the categories on the main review page

Grotmis
Riaan

m0nty
  • 2004/4/25 19:29

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

hi riaan,

just uploaded the beta4 version..

i dunno whether i should have uninstalled previous 1st, but being as i didn't.. i just updated the module via XOOPS admin..

a few bugs have occured..

the new templates etc, when i goto templates for the reviews module, it says generate new template (ok for the halloffame template)

but all the templates are there.. when i generated the new templates, they update, but the updated list doesn't disappear..

thus it still says there are 3 templates to generate even tho i have already..

2nd. i can't view the hall of fame.. when i click the link i get an error500: internal server error with hallofthame.php

no debug info sorry

riaanvdb
  • 2004/4/25 19:43

• riaanvdb

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
i dunno whether i should have uninstalled previous 1st,

Hi m0nty, sorry I should have been clearer on that, uninstall the previous version and reinstall this one, there are some database entries that has changed.

Grotmis
Riaan

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits