finalfiler
Am I the only one
  • 2004/3/15 8:51

• finalfiler

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/1/19

who's getting just a little tired of having to register at yet another site whenever well-intentioned folks link their scripts, themes etc at xoops.org download page?

Frankly, I reckon it is not in the spirit of xoops.

But I can be wrong, I often am.

jurock24
Re: Am I the only one
  • 2004/3/15 12:30

• jurock24

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/21

lol I know I have registered at least 20 times in just 1 week...

DonXoop

Same here. Sometimes the download turns out to not be what I expected. But I can understand that many sites don't want anonymous downloads for their other files.

Perhaps a modified Download module that allows certain files or files linked a certain way to be grabbed anon? The easy way is to provide a direct download link outside the DL module.

HughG
  • 2004/3/15 13:34

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Quote:

finalfiler wrote:
who's getting just a little tired of having to register at yet another site whenever well-intentioned folks link their scripts, themes etc at xoops.org download page?

Frankly, I reckon it is not in the spirit of xoops.

But I can be wrong, I often am.

This has been covered before.....but....

Personally, I see it as a small price to pay... when compaired to the time one puts into a mod/theme/etc. Not to mention the bandwidth in hosting such an offering. And lets not forget that they are being nice by offering the mod/theme/hack/etc to the community in the first place.

It's funny you bring this up filler, A quick hop over to your site provides the same thing you are questioning...

Resized Image

finalfiler
  • 2004/3/19 9:00

• finalfiler

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/1/19

Anything published in relation to XOOPS I have always provided direct (no logon) links for. The stuff available from our website is special interest and not general interest. Least of all to XOOPsers - don't know that there are many here administering cemeteries, crematoria, memorial gardens etc

regards

Herko
  • 2004/3/19 9:30

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

We're in the final stages of setting up the XOOPS MOdule Repository, where you can find and download most XOOPS2 modules without having to register in advance.

Herko

cuckston
  • 2004/3/21 21:22

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

How about getting people to say whether you have to register or not in the desciription of the download when they submit it to xoops? Then people can choose whether they want to register with them or look else where??

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/22 2:40

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
How about getting people to say whether you have to register or not in the desciription of the download when they submit it to xoops? Then people can choose whether they want to register with them or look else where??

In a short term ideal universe, this would be perfect. Although I doubt many people would rmeember to do this.

Once the modules have been moved to the official repository, there will no longer be a need for people to register on x amount of sites. Except for the occational hardcore developer or people who want the lastest fixes that won't be in the repository and can only be gained by going to the authors site.

Just my 2 cents so far.

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits