brash
What Web Statistics Package Do You Use?
  • 2004/2/21 6:23

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi All,

I've had a couple of XOOPS sites going for a close to 6 months now, and I have really been enjoying using it. However, one thing that has been frustrating me is web stats. I ended up deciding on using pphlogger in conjuntion with the blockies module for my stats, and have been using these for a while now. I have been quite happy with this setup, but it seems that the statistics block that both collects and displays pphlogger data for my sites is causing some fairly major performance issues in regards to site loading times.

This has prompted me to search for another solution, and as I now face the problem in that I won't be able to use my pphlogger stats with other packages, I'm thinking a log analyzer style reporting package might be the way to go so that I don't run into the same problem again. The problem I found seems to be that no two web stats packages produce the same results from the same input data, which I'm finding very frustrating as I have no idea which one I should go with.

I'm using IIS 6 on Windows 2003 Server and was wondering what other people used for log file analysis style reporting?

carnuke
Re: What Web Statistics Package Do You Use?
  • 2004/2/21 8:10

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

G'day brash

You raise a good point, I have also used the pphlogger that can be viewed with blockies and also found a serious performance loss. I ended up removing it from the XOOPS site as every page took twice as long to load. I have not found anything that really comes anywhere close to a useable solution. There is a point in general here that some statistics scripts consume too much processor power and compromise website efficiency.

I am about to install a stats program on the server from www.php-stat.com It looks like a good system probably exceeding pphlogger, awstats and the like. There are also some XOOPS display options to show some details on the site. These are available from XOOPS-modules.com on this page. look for "Blockutils"

Hope this is some help... if you find any better ideas plaese post

Regards, Richard

brash
  • 2004/2/22 0:28

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi Carnuke,

Yeah, PHP-Stats is a top PHP/MySQL based statistics program, and I would have no hesitation in switching to it if it wasn't for the 6 months worth of stats data I would loose in the process. When I was first evaluating live stats programs it actually came down to pphlogger and PHP-Stats for me. As I had no PHP or XOOPS experience at the time, it was the blockies module that swayed me towards using pphlogger as it really simplified the task of displaying pphlogger data on my site. I think I might have to take the time to look into optimizing the way blockies calls the pphlogger data.

El_Jordo
  • 2004/2/22 0:44

• El_Jordo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/23

I'm a little confused about the PHP-Stats website. There's an English portion of the website, and it says that php-stats is available for download in English, but there's no link to download it. And what about the actual program? There is an English version, isn't there?

Could somebody point a newbie in the right direction?

tl
  • 2004/2/22 1:26

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

The program includes both Italian and English. Upload the files onto your server, go directly to setup.php, you will be able to select language.

Simply installation and you might have to edit the config.php file to supply your server information.

El_Jordo
  • 2004/2/22 1:31

• El_Jordo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/23

Great! With a little help from Google translation, it worked perfectly and is now installed on my server. Pretty neat!

Thanks!

Olorin
  • 2004/2/22 7:59

• Olorin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/5 1

Quote:
but it seems that the statistics block that both collects and displays pphlogger data for my sites is causing some fairly major performance issues in regards to site loading times.
Umm, do you use the latest version? The latest pphlogger(2.2.5) supports "type=all", which enables you pick up all data you want to display at once.

Personally, I've used both of them, and decided to choose phpstat eventually. And here are the other useful modules for pphlogger & phpstat.

For phpstat:
http://hypweb.net/xoops/modules/pukiwiki/280.html
(pscounter_1.zip is the one.)

For pphlogger:
http://www.uribou.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=3

If phpstat could delete each single record as pphlogger does, there would be no reason to choose pphlogger in my opinion...

tjnemez
  • 2004/2/22 10:46

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

hi,

i use webmaster 76:http://www.webmaster76.com/index.php?cat=homepage

its a very detailed stand alone php stat package. i really like it.

wtravel

I just installed php-stats 0.1.8. and it works great I must say. I am very happy about it because of the many more details I can see compared to the good old Awstats (which I also thought was pretty nice).

I very much recommend php-stats. It would be nice to have it in a XOOPS module, but comparing the benefits to the work it would take to get it I'd rather not spend any time thinking about it

Edited: Demo is no longer active.

brash
  • 2004/2/22 11:57

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks for the links Olorin, I'll be checking them out for sure!

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits