TooBaked
Project Creation for Xoops
  • 2004/2/20 17:20

• TooBaked

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/9 5

Ok here is the deal guys I am reseller for a webhosting company (ipowerweb). and I love Xoops, so I want to incorperate a bunch of pages into the XOOPS engine, how is the best way to go about this

Should I.....

#1 use a one of the available editors and just make individual pages for xoops.

#2 Create a Complete Module and include the XOOPS theme tables into the pages I have already created.

#3 use a module already created that I don't know about.

#4 give up and find a new life.<----hopefully not this one....

ackbarr
Re: Project Creation for Xoops

do the pages need to interact with one another? or does one page work seperate from the others?

If they do need to interact, a custom module would be your best bet.

If not, you can get by with using one of the many content modules for xoops, sections, wf-sections, TinyContent

TooBaked
  • 2004/2/20 21:27

• TooBaked

• Just popping in

yea all the pages interact one is whois domain search which leads to step2 purchase if the domain appears available. some are product pages leading to specific hosting plans i.e. windows hosting, dedicated server, domain registration so on.

just so I can set myself on a pace how long would it take average person to wrap something like this into a complete module for xoops. hours, days, weeks, months?

anyone willing to offer guidence through email or messnager please let me know preferably a XOOPS dev to make sure things are done the XOOPS way so this module can be available to all XOOPS users.

jmass
  • 2004/2/20 22:14

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Hard to say on time frame.

Quick and dirty vs uber clean?

Also depends on how much needs to go into MySql and How much is static, Your comfort with SQL/PHP, Etc.

Maybe 40 hrs for me doing it very clean from scratch. I think I am of average skill level, but strive for very clean consistant code.

JMass

intel352
  • 2004/3/7 0:34

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

i'd be very interested in seeing this developed, as i intend to start a small hosting company based around xoops, maybe we could start a collective donation pool to get this project started? (essentially hiring a programmer with donations)

i'd feel more comfortable if it were an official XOOPS programmer that received the 'donations', with the intention that the module be released publicly

TooBaked
  • 2004/3/7 3:06

• TooBaked

• Just popping in

I like the fact that XOOPS Remains Free and works off Donations unlike some of the other developement communities take and in return Place messages on thier sites saying "Don't ask for help".
as far as being clean coded thats the most important part to me thats why I seek community support for this project.
as far as being paid I don't think any one part of the production deserves any money. now if this is a community Project built for XOOPS then I would want to hand it over to XOOPS for free and allow them to implement it into the official modules for XOOPS in later GPL release. as far as being paid, the whole XOOPS Community will be paid
not just the developers and thats whats important. I could sit in my office and do this on my own and use it. but Id rather Help the Community thats helping me and for 2 years now thats been Xoops. So if anyone is willing to help out in small bits and not overwhelm themselves I think it will work out best for the XOOPS Community.
I do have some Non-Xoops Sites that have some pretty slick Ideas. I think for the most part XOOPS it pretty well prepared to take on a task running a reseller Site.
I have been runing around and digging into other Whois scripts and they seem pretty simple. so far I have got a domain search to work in Xoops. what I am working on now is getting the theme warapped into the results page view here.
www.stradegyonline.net/hosting
(click the link "Domain name Check" in main Menu)
this page need XOOPS theme.
search for "stupidfudge.com" (this page needs XOOPS theme as well) after I get them installed I will delete the module and Make My own for "Xoops".
I want it to completely favor XOOPS Code in this module. So if XOOPS decides they want to use it in release they can.

intel352
  • 2004/3/7 4:30

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

domain name check isn't in the main menu (well, i'm unregistered and don't feel like registering just for that link, lol)

what my point was in my post, was to ensure rapid development of such a module, and asking someone to concentrate on a module like that (in the xoops-style code format) should end with them being repaid for their time

and all the code should remain open source and released to the community, but with the developer(s) receiving some type of compensation the whole time...

also, if someone is getting paid for a module, they usually listen more intently to what the payer would like to see in the module...

wildow
  • 2004/3/31 9:31

• wildow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/23

Maybe jou can use this module and change the code from Exoops tot Xoops?

http://paul-cooke.com/exoops/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits