quito
META-XOOPS tag for Googlebot, Yahoo
  • 2004/2/11 18:25

• quito

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/30

Hi guys,
Although Google does search my XOOPS sites, Googlebot does not go beyond the first page. It would seem that Google cannot see PHP/SQL sites?
My request would be to create a field easily identified by Googlebot or maybe even more specific (a META-XOOPS tag for Googlebot?) for keywords within the document. BTW, it would be awesome if this could encompass pdf files as well.
Keep up with the good work and thanks.
Daniel

carnuke
Re: META-XOOPS tag for Googlebot, Yahoo
  • 2004/2/11 22:47

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Hi Daniel,

Surprised to hear that google has not craweld your site! Google does and has craweld many XOOPS sites. I have proved that by going to many and copying text strings deep in the pages and entering it in google... it returns the XOOPS site every time. Google is known to index pages within query strings generated by dbs, unlike many other S/Es. I would suspect the links to your pages. Are you using a menu system that uses javaScript??? If so, that could be the reason google can't get to your pages. Lose the javascript menus and you should be ok. Also make sure you have the "index, follow" setting correct

Richard

script_fu

Google loves to spider XOOPS like carnuke said, never have had a problem!

quito
  • 2004/2/14 4:41

• quito

• Just popping in

Hi,
thanks for the quick response. I haven't altered the menus. The links to the modules are standard html embedded in "theme.html".
In the preferences menu, I have YES in "global search" and a 4 character minimum word. I'm using index, follow.
I suspect it has something to do with Fantastico/Cpanel. The installer cannot place the site directly at the root folder. I was forced to create a folder at the root level and install there. In the root folder I have a one-liner html page which points to the mentioned folder.
I'd really appreciate if you post more ideas to point out where I must have tripped.
Thanks beforehand,
Daniel

carnuke
  • 2004/2/14 9:23

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
I have a one-liner html page which points to the mentioned folder.

This sounds like a redirect! This could be a problem. Search engines will often ignore redirects because they are often used for spamming. My site in NOT in the root folder either. Just point the search engine to your real url ie.http://yoursite.com/xoops_directory/index.php as your submission address. ie NOT to the redirect file first.

You will need to wait for google to re-index

Hope this helps

Richard

quito
  • 2004/2/19 5:26

• quito

• Just popping in

Thank you for the comment. I'll try it immediately.

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits