fishspon
Can generated authentication graphics be added to the Registration process?
  • 2004/1/25 21:56

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/23

How difficult is it to modify the registration page so it displays an graphical version of some numbers, and makes the user type them in? Much like this:

http://unixforum.co.uk/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=00

Is it really that difficult? Can't the one from Invision Power Board (on the link above) be modified to fix XOOPS, and then a new "register.php" file released??

I'd do it myself if i knew any PHP whatsoever... but i don't unfortunately, lol

fishspon
Re: Can generated authentication graphics be added to the Registration process?
  • 2004/1/28 17:08

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

can anyone shed some light on this??

A lot of web software out there that requires regiatration has this functionality, but XOOPS does not yet...

does anyone else think it is needed to stop spam registrations?

fishspon
  • 2004/3/2 23:23

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

sorry to bump the post again, but does anyone know how to do this??

Dave_L
  • 2004/3/3 0:06

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

It's probably not that difficult, but someone would have to take the time to write the code and incorporate it into Xoops. I'd be willing to take a stab at it, but don't have the time right now.

It might also require that PHP have gdlib installed, which is not the case for every server. A workaround for that, though, might be to have a separate image for every digit (1-9), and then display the relevant sequence of those images. But then a bot might be able to figure out the number by looking at the HTML image tags, if the bot-writer is sufficiently determined.

fishspon
  • 2004/3/3 1:01

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

thank you for replying... i now know, at least, that someone is interested, and this is a half-decent idea.

Even though you don't have time right now, is there some way to get the ball rolling? Maybe an official list of features to be added that we can tag this onto? Someone we need to notify to make this an official project?

Is there anything i can do to make this process easier? I have no knowledge of PHP unfortunately, and i hate coding anyway, but if there's anything else i can do, please let me know!!

Brad
  • 2004/3/3 2:43

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/4

Also keep in mind that by utilizing a visual anti-robot authentication scheme, you're limiting your web site to those people who are not visually impaired.

While that may be fine due to the nature of your site and it's intended audience, it's still something to consider.

fishspon
  • 2004/3/3 8:40

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

how do other sites that use this functionality get around this issue? or don't they?

Dave_L
  • 2004/3/3 14:44

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I would simply add a note on the page like "If you have difficulty reading this, please contact me at me@example.com for assistance." Then I could register the person manually if necessary. A bot would probably not go to the trouble of emailing me.

Actually, that page already has a similar note on it.

I suppose you could also generate a audio file: "TYPE IN THE FOLLOWING NUMBERS ... FOUR ... NINE ... FIVE ...". But that wouldn't work if the person is also hearing-impaired.

fishspon
  • 2004/3/3 15:03

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

ok, well i reckon adding the graphical authentication to the page, and maybe altering the note about contacting the webmaster is the best approach... any suggestions otherwise??

dreamgear
  • 2004/3/3 16:23

• dreamgear

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/7/18

Anyone who wants to implement this might want to look at e-xoops.. I think they have it working (not that you should use e-xoops but you could probably lift some of the code

Login

Who's Online

267 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 267

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits