ninja
my server can't handle xoops anymore ....help....
  • 2004/1/12 4:23

• ninja

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/27

I have a pentium 4 1.7 with 512 gig of ram and couldn't handle my XOOPS site anymore. It crashes like almost everyday. My site has around 35,000 members and it's getting 40 gigs of traffic / month.

I can't afford to upgrade more ram or better processor, so I was wondering if you guys have any recomendation ?

thanks alot

DonXoop
Re: my server can't handle xoops anymore ....help....

More info.... Server OS, Web version, and all that kind of stuff. You say "crashing", really? The server dies? May I suggest.......
linux?

ninja
  • 2004/1/12 4:37

• ninja

• Just popping in

it's a linux box.
The server was overloaded and I couldn't access it . I guess it just dies.
I contact the host company and they said my site is getting too much traffic. Normally , there are around 30 - 40 users on the site at the same time, do you think that's too many ?

xoops is getting much more traffic, what kinda server XOOPS is running ? may i ask

Draven
  • 2004/1/12 4:49

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

It sounds to me like your box isn't optamized properly. It shouldn't be crashing with that. Although, you are getting close to needing an upgrade. But I'm sure there's some optimizing that can be done. What do your log files say? Why is the server crashing? What is causing it? The log files are key.

DonXoop

Is the server your own or hosted? Is it both the web and database server? There are many choices including how your content is arranged. Is it from traffic or processesor load etc.

What else is running on the server and what tuning has been or can be done to it? Can you benefit from a PHP accelerator?

So many things that could help.

ninja
  • 2004/1/12 4:58

• ninja

• Just popping in

The server admin said my XOOPS site is using too much mySQL resource. he suggested that i move the SQL end to another server, but i still think my server shouldn't crash that many times

is there anything i can do my XOOPS site though?

DON, it's a dedicated server i rent from burst.net
and yes, PHP accelerator and ZEND is installed.

anggarda
  • 2004/1/12 10:46

• anggarda

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/19

40 users on a XOOPS site simultaneously is not a problem for a system with your hardware and software specifications.

Get your server admin to relook the configuration for mySQL. The server may be crashing due to ill configuration of the database.

By the way, when you mean crash. What exactly happens?

Panos
  • 2004/1/12 11:59

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

Ok, what we have here is definitely an improperly configured GNU/Linux server. Let me ask and say a few things:

1) Which version of GNU/Linux is the server running?

2) Have you or are you able to run cron jobs on the server?

3) What kind of access do you have to the server? I assume that SSH access is enabled since it's a dedicated server.

Also and like the others before me wrote, what do you mean by crashing? Is the whole server down, ie can you access a simple .html page?

35.000 members and 40 visitors on line simultaneously is not enough to crash a dedicated (GNU/)Linux server. I am amazed that it happened in the first place.

halki
  • 2004/1/12 16:18

• halki

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/27

Since its misconfigured anyway.. may as well rebuild it on FreeBSD while you are at it :)

DonXoop

I think from other posts it is clear that by yourself it will be difficult to tune for the load if that an issue. You should really have someone that knows their stuff and you can trust to look over things.

Something that can tell a small story is phpinfo(). Create a .php file with one line:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

That is only a small part of the story. The load you describe should not be a problem at all. No idea about your site since we don't know where it is.

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits