YourHelp
MY Network
  • 2003/12/31 2:13

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Dear Xoopers.

Hi there now i know that this is not really a XOOPS related question but seeing this is a "General board" and my question is constructive i might get away with it.

As i very well know you people are pretty smart here so i need a little help. Im setting up a network now ive never done this before so i have the foggist idea of how to do it. Now my desktop computer which i want to be my main computer has a built in internal card and plug slot where i can plug in the cat5 cord i think its called. Now the 2nd computer i have is a laptop now it does not have an internal card.. but it has 2 slots for putting in cards that you buy.. there cards from xircom. Now ive purchased the cat5 cord and i need to purchase this i think Xircom CreditCard 56k + 10/100 and it then plugs into the cat5 and then into my desktop then i do a windows network setup? is this all the hardware i need? it seems so cheap and so simple?? im sure im missing something do i need a hub? or i dont need a hub for a simple link for 2 computers?

PLEASE help me

CBlue
Re: MY Network

I believe you need a hub, YourHelp. But I could be wrong. My father setup a network with his laptop and desk computer and he uses a hub.

YourHelp
  • 2003/12/31 2:18

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

for my laptop is this what i need?http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3449496414

if so ill visit my local comp shop and buy one just like it.

YourHelp
  • 2003/12/31 2:20

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

Im sure there is a real whiz on here that sets up networks

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/31 2:30

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

There are many options available to you, one of which is a hub, as mentioned. Any computer and or laptop will work this way and this is especially true for 'typical' everyday users.

You can get a hub for reletively low cost. Essentially, all you do is plug the netwrk cable from your modem (assuming your on broadband of some sort here) to the hub. Then plug each of your computers into the hub. If your on WindowxXP, just run the network wizard and let it take care of things for you.

Thats the quick and simple solution with little details.

You could also go get a switch, or a router which works under the same principle, but also acts as a firewall.

No matter what your solution, your best bet is to go to www.linksys.com There you will find may FAQ's and will be able to make an informed decision on which hardware type you should purchase.

Thats just my reccomendation, other opinions will vary but the principals and goals are the same.

svaha
  • 2003/12/31 2:35

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

You don't need a hub when connecting two computers, you can connect them direct with a cat5 cable.
You only need to check if you got the right cable, pins are different for connecting to a hub/router or direct.
The setup is different for different versions of windows, so you need to be a little more specific on that one.
If you can't find it send me a pm, I will help you after I awake from my new year coma.

Aloha

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/31 2:40

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

The reson I detailed the hub is because of the laptop. Just drop it into the base for it's daily recharge and you have access to the network all in one go.

I have hubs, routers and swiches all over the place at home. I really need to go wireless

YourHelp
  • 2003/12/31 2:41

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks guys super!

Yup i have decided i do not want to go wireless... as its not as good as the ol cat5 well i like cables anyways lol.

Ok So what card do i need to buy for my laptop? as you cant just plug a cat five into my laptop like you can my desktop. You need to plug a card into one of the 2 slots there is and i think then u join the card to the cat5?

YourHelp
  • 2003/12/31 2:43

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

At the moment im just trying to work out what hardware i need to purchase... because i have no idea. I know that my desktop has internal stuff and so does my laptop but instead of plugging the cat5 into the laptop you need some card xircom i think there called. trying to work out what one of those i need

davidl2
  • 2003/12/31 2:44

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

2 network cards, and make sure you're using a cross-over cat5 cable, otherwise it wont work.

Login

Who's Online

123 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 123

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits