dukehen
Done theme, now how to upload?
  • 2003/12/26 18:24

• dukehen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/9

Hello,
I am just about done a new theme that I have been working on. I started with the default theme and made some changes and whatnot. Anyway, I thought I had a perfect link to a "how-to" on this exact subject, but alas my bookmark is missing.

Anyway, I have my images, theme.html, 5 block pages, and various stylesheets.

So, I know that I would have to archive this in a .tar.gz but first off I need an app to do that for Windows.

Also, after I archive the theme, how do I actually accomplish the installation? Does it involve the cloning of an already installed theme?

Thanks

CBlue
Re: Done theme, now how to upload?

I use picozip to create gzip files. You can download a 30 day trial version at download.com (aka Cnet).

You can upload all the files to your own server manually. You don't need to use gzip to do that. You only need to zip up the files for giving the theme to others.

Just upload the theme into the themes folder, make sure you have created a folder with the theme name there, and upload to that theme folder.

The cloning part is for if you have created a template for the theme. This is different than the theme.html and style.css pages. If you have a template, you need to gzip it and then use your templates manager in system admin to upload it to your site.

Then you will have to go back to the front page of your template manager and click all the generate files links to set up the files in your new template. Then to use the new template on your site, you go to general settings in your system preferences and choose your new template as your default template.

CBlue

From what you have posted though, it seems you only created a theme and just follow the directions that I gave you for uploading the theme to your own site. You can gzip it so that you can give it to others to use too.

dukehen
  • 2003/12/26 19:44

• dukehen

• Just popping in

Ahh man, I should have checked the general board settings.

It appears that the theme that I have uploaded is listed as an option for a user to select, but I was looking at the template section because I thought it needed to have an entry there for it to be an option...

Thanks!

CBlue

You're welcome!

dukehen
  • 2003/12/26 19:53

• dukehen

• Just popping in

Alright, haven't had any luck getting this theme installed.

If I preview the theme on my own computer (no php, apache, or anything installed locally), I still get a basic layout, with commands that should be understood by a server with a MySQL DB, etc.

However, if I select my theme as the default theme and make it the only option for users, I get a blank page displayed, with about 4 lines of code.

So, I must have missed something simple.

I uploaded my theme (called flash, since there is a flash file for a header) to the themes directory, but no go.

Perhaps because there is flash involved?

Thanks

dukehen
  • 2003/12/26 21:06

• dukehen

• Just popping in

Must be something with the theme that I am working on.

I downloaded some other theme, manually uploaded it, etc. and it came up fine.

Hrm, I wonder if I can quickly pinpoint why my theme isn't working...

[Edit: I turned on php debug and I get a PARSE error at the end of my theme.]

Anyone know what I should be looking for? An open tag, or something else?

dukehen
  • 2003/12/26 22:54

• dukehen

• Just popping in

I am surprised that the PARSE error gives me no clues as to what the problem is. Now, since it lists the last line of code as the location of the error, I am assuming that somewhere there is an open tag or something.

Anyway, I looked over the file output to the template_c directory and I went through the PHP and whatnot.

Anyway, I don't see any problems with the <?php and ?> tags.

dukehen
  • 2003/12/26 23:16

• dukehen

• Just popping in

Found the problem, was missing one of the {/if} tags...

Now I just have to work on working with some vertical scroll bars or something to get this template to actually work with the XOOPS architechture!!!

My Site

CBlue

Yep, creating a template for this theme may help you get it to look right for you. Your theme is alittle out of alignment and needs some more images added. There is a theme called FC_LyXoops that uses images to create the header and all the blocks on the left column. You could download it and look at how it was done. The person that created it also created a template for it.

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits