Anonymous
headlines module and placement of feeds
  • 2003/12/26 17:47

• Anonymous

• Since:

Does anyone know of a way to have a certain rss feed placed in another position? For instance, I would like to have the an Rss feed on the left side and have another rss feed on the right side so that I dont have to pan all the way to the bottom of the screen to view.

Does this make sense?

CBlue
Re: headlines module and placement of feeds

Headlines module uses the ul class in your style.css, an example is below.

ul { margin: 2px; padding: 2px; list-style: decimal inside; text-align: left;}

Maybe someone knows how to change this. I'm not up on all the css stuff. But you may be able to edit this or your template headline index.html file to get the page to look the way you want it.

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/26 18:55

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

On the same note as RSS, I have a great number of RSS and XML feeds, but I have never been able to fully understand how to incorporate it into a page, or in my case, a custom block.

Do I place a copy of the feed on my own server then use some sort of call funtion to make it display? I wouldn't mind adding a few blocks of my own for certain content I find, but I'm just a con-fuddled about the process

CBlue

I have incorporated rss feeds on custom pages and in custom blocks. This page http://magazine.crazy4realitytv.com/modules/cjaycontent/index.php?id=66 uses only this code:

Latest Hollywood News

By using a js file, you can get feeds. This comes directly from the other site, but you can create a js file for any site that you want just by going to http://www.myrss.com/new.html and typing in the url of the page you want feeds from. They give you a js file that you can download to your computer to add to your site.

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/26 19:07

• Stewdio

Your the best D! Thanks

CBlue

You're welcome Stewdio! I just have to warn you though that you will need to edit the js file to get the main title to be what you want because they usually use large fonts for the titles. Or you could even delete out the main title.

Anonymous
  • 2003/12/26 21:00

• Anonymous

• Since:

This is an interesting idea. I was also thinking that I could find a php script from hotscripts.com if there was not a solution to what I wanted.

I wish the headlines module allowed for positioning based on the feed vs the module as a whole. Maybe next time

Thanks

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/26 23:26

• Stewdio

CBlue! I'm a dolt, you know that right?! Well, how do I add something like this:
http://physicsweb.org/rss/news.xml

I think thats what I was trying to explain earlier. RSS is soo confuddeling...

CBlue

Okay, I couldn't figure out how to include that kind of file but I went to myrss.com and entered the same url that that xml gets it feeds from and downloaded a js file that you can use on your site to include in a custom block or on a custom page. If you want the file, I can email it to you. Just pm me to let me know.

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/27 6:12

• Stewdio

Ok, I'll give that a shot. I didn't think to try adding an xml schema page to the url entry field. It's not the desired way to do it, but for now it will have to do until I learn how to incorporate RSS/XML feeds properly.

I'll get back to you on the results of various pages that offer RSS/XML feeds. Thanks CBlue

In the meantime, if anyone out there knows how to make use of RSS in a simple to explain manner, please feel free to enlighten us. I've tried reading tons of pages on how to acheive this, but I can't make heads or tails of it because a certain amount of knowledge is assumed in these explanations.

Login

Who's Online

371 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 371

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits