Parody
Amazon, Hot or Not, phpNuke and Xoops
  • 2003/12/25 22:57

• Parody

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/25

Hi, I've been using phpNuke for the last year or so to run my site and on the reccomendation of a friend, decided to check it out for myself. After installing it, I pretty much fell in love with the system. Everything was so customizable. My biggest problem was that a lot of the modules that were avialable for phpNuke weren't around for XOOPS (no matter how hard I searched!).

Anyway, I figured I might as well write them for xoops. I found the module system really neat too. Incredibly easy to write your own modules. So far I have two, an Amazon books module:

http://www.perjuries.com/modules/books/

And a Hot or Not type module (photo ratings for those that aren't familar with the site):

http://www.perjuries.com/modules/photovote/

Ohh, one more thing, I also wrote a conversion script for phpNuke 6.9 to XOOPS 2.0.5.1 for converting your news, polls, links and encyclopedia.

Now I don't know if anyone wants this, but I would be more then happy to post the source code for all this stuff if there is interest. The problem, I fear, is that because I don't really have any real coding experience, I didn't really follow any of the XOOPS guidlines (I don't even know if there are any ). Also, I'm one of those people that follow the if it works, use it doctrine.

As I wrote this code from scratch, it'll probably be messy, but anyways, if someone does want to take a look at the code and maybe bring it up to coding standards for the rest of the community, I can post it. :)

[edit]

One more thing, the Amazon books module isn't quite finished as I have yet to write the adminstration section. I figure I'll do that after christmas. ;)

Jan304
Re: Amazon, Hot or Not, phpNuke and Xoops
  • 2003/12/25 23:46

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Site is really a nice work... And the modules too, I hope you will release them soon.

About the convert script, not that I need it, only once tried php nuke... :-p, but I think a lot of people would find it usefull, my experience has learnd that most people don't ask for something, just look for it, and if not found, not ask it, so...

Merry Christmas.

Bazus
  • 2003/12/26 6:08

• Bazus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/9/23

what's this 'hot or not' module ? I couldn't see it 'cos it has to log in into ur site.

PureLuXus
  • 2003/12/26 7:20

• PureLuXus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/3 2

Quote:

Bazus wrote:
what's this 'hot or not' module ? I couldn't see it 'cos it has to log in into ur site.

the same like www.hotornot.com

very nice modules
i like both...
would be nice if you release it to the community

Parody
  • 2003/12/26 7:47

• Parody

• Just popping in

I'll probably try to get hot or not up to standards and release it first as the more I look at this amazon books module, the more bugs I find. :(

PureLuXus
  • 2003/12/26 7:49

• PureLuXus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/3 2

u can release your version here in the forum and we can help you to kill the bugs faster...
if the most bugs r killed you can release it via news here..

Parody
  • 2003/12/26 9:20

• Parody

• Just popping in

here is what I have of the books module.

here are the scripts that I used to convert from phpnuke to xoops. There's a script in there to convert your polls, news, links and encyclopedia. I didn't write a script to convert users because I searched the forums and found someone already had written that script. Plus, I didn't have any users in nuke.

Now, I'd be very cautious of using these scripts because as far as I know, they only work on my site and if used one someone else site it could wipe databases, erase data, launch nuclear warheads, who knows? I don't, so user beware.

The hot or not module will be a little more difficult to release then I thought because what I've done is used my phpBB user database as the backbone for logging in and voting and everything, so it probably won't work on anyone's site but mine without some sort of major overhaul.

inferno
  • 2003/12/26 11:51

• inferno

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/13

Quote:

Parody wrote:
could wipe databases, erase data, launch nuclear warheads, who knows?

CBlue

I definitely want the amazon one! It looks great on your site, Parody! Hot or not would be great for the type of site I run too! When these modules are ready for public use please let us all know, Parody.

svaha
  • 2003/12/26 15:23

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Hi Parody,
Welcome to the XOOPS community.
I'm very interested in you books module, so I will try it, once available. Looking forward to it.
Happy holidays

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits