Universe
A question about Module
  • 2003/12/25 16:22

• Universe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/25

Hi there!

I'm using XOOPS for my site now and I have a problem. I hope XOOPS Team can help me.

- I have a problem when Gest(anonymous) can download. Now, I want to lock this Module and only Register User can Download.

- I want to use block "Recent News" so that note to user when I have a news. I finded any where in System Admin/Blocks. But I cannot see this Block. May be I missing it (^_^).

How can I do ...
Thanks for your help .. soon

tjnemez
Re: A question about Module
  • 2003/12/25 17:14

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

go to system admin -> groups -> anonymous, there you can set module access rights.

do a search for a module called "spotlight", its really cool for front page news summary.

Universe
  • 2003/12/26 5:06

• Universe

• Just popping in

No, it's meaning:

- Anonymous can see module download and all it child, but they can not save to them computer. To do it, they must register user. I go to System admin --> groups --> anonymous --> Mocule Access Rights --> uncheck Download so anonymous can see all information in this module.

- I want to use Recent News block. But I cannot see it any where ...

Thanks for your help ....

CBlue

You have the news module installed right? If so, look in blocks admin for the block that says "Recent News". If you don't see it, look at the drop down menu at the top of the blocks admin page and choose webmasters and then see if you can see the "Recent News" block.

You will have to go to groups after activating that block to make sure it is checked for whatever groups you want to be able to see it.

Universe
  • 2003/12/30 17:02

• Universe

• Just popping in

Oh, thanks CBlue. I founded it.

But I still a question. I want to allow anonymous can see module Download and all information on it. But I don't want to allow they download any software when they're anonymous. If they want to download, they must register user.

This's same sentence "All Registered users can post new topics and replies to this forum". If they are anonymous, they can not post or reply topic. I want my module download similar it.

I write english very bad so I can not express fluent. I hope you can understand what I wrote.

(I coming soon).

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/30 19:24

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Hi Universe!

(Like the name by the way)

I don't know if there is a way to not allow downloads if people are able to go to the downloads page. Simply put, if they see a download link in downloads, it will do just that, start downloading

The only other option I have for you is to use the recent downloads block in an out of the way place. What this will do is show users what been downloaded lately but not allow them to download because of your group settings for the downloads.

Example to explain more clearly. Allow registered users the group access to downloads. Only they will see and download. Allow all users (including anonymous) to see the recent downloads block. The block in itself will just show whats availble. The only limitation is how many downloads the block will show at one time and what's popular, or been recently downloaded by registered users. Not a perfect solution, but it works in its own limited way

Alternatively, you can create a News section called Downloads and just write a quick news item with your new download. Use the title of the news item as the name of your download. Incluse a recent news block and it will appear as though it's a list of links. This lets people know what you have without opening up your site. Less desireable, more work for you the admin, but also a workable solution.

You can't have one without the other really, or without sacrifice or makeing more work for yourself in the end. What you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?

If I can offer a personal opinion, there is little point to restricting downloads, unless you have something unique to offer. Too many times I've gone to other XOOPS sites and had to register just got a one time file that in most cases I don't even keep. I've found that people think this an effective way to get 'new users'. Theres no point of getting new users if they have no reason to stay. What I'm trying to say, from my standpoint,is that it make more sense to make downloads available to everyone without limitation. There are more effective ways of atracting users, like a message board and other things.

The choice is of course yours to make, so can take what I say with a grain of salt, or take it seriously, up to you!

Cheers

Universe
  • 2003/12/31 5:04

• Universe

• Just popping in

Quote:

Stewdio wrote:
The only other option I have for you is to use the recent downloads block in an out of the way place. What this will do is show users what been downloaded lately but not allow them to download because of your group settings for the downloads.

Thanks Stewdio!
I think it's only solution and I'll carry it.

kahumbu
  • 2003/12/31 9:51

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

When I try to change XOOPS behavior between anonymous users and registered users, I always think of my favorite hack.

So, for this problem, open up visit.php of modules/mydownloads/ and add this piece of code just after the includes (include "../../mainfile.php";)

// If not a user, redirect
if ( !$xoopsUser ) {

redirect_header('index.php',3,"You must be a registered user to download files.");
    exit();
}
// End of redirect hack

This will redirect the anonymous user back to the index page of the downloads with a message that he/she should register first. Change the message if you want. The number 3 specifies the no. of seconds the redirect page is rendered until it redirects.

The only limitation of this hack is that it does not distinguish between registered user groups, only between anonymous and registered users.

Hope this helps.

Universe
  • 2004/1/8 9:38

• Universe

• Just popping in

Oh, thanks kahumbu. I'll try it.

It's a best solution that I want to find.

Universe
  • 2004/1/8 9:50

• Universe

• Just popping in

OH! haha, Your code's run very good. Thank you very much.

Login

Who's Online

144 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 144

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits