arbaronx
templates not updating
  • 2003/12/20 22:26

• arbaronx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/8

In admin system/prefs/general/ , I have the following selection checked [yes]
Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?

Yet, when I make minor mods to the themes thml file the associated template file is not altered to reflect the changes.

I also have the default theme and default template set the same.

Any ideas?
cheers

hsalazar
Re: templates not updating
  • 2003/12/20 22:42

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

arbaronx:

XOOPS is designed so the default template set can't be edited. The idea is to have a standard installation in case something gets messed up.

As to the procedure to manage your theme, here's a couple of pointers you may find useful:

1) The option "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?" is useful before you go live, but any change in the physical files is not reflected in the site while there's still a different copy of the template stored in the database.

So your best bet is also to edit the template using the template manager (Admin > Templates).

2) Your theme can't be edited through the XOOPS interface. You change your theme.html, style.css and associated files locally and then update your site via FTP.

3) Some changes area not seen immediately because XOOPS keeps copies of the pages in the cached directory templates_c. If you need to see your changes reflected in the site, delete all files in that folder.

4) Default theme means theme.html and the associated templates for the lateral and center blocks, as well as the stylesheet files. You should not edit the default theme, because XOOPS uses it to restore files in case something goes wrong. So you should make a phsyical copy of the default folder, call it YourName, activate YourName as the default theme (in Admin > Preferences > General settings), and then make your editions on YourName. Edit the files and update them as stated in [2].

5) Default template set means the set of templates that handle each module's display, either in full pages (the module actually fills a <{$content}> block in the center-center position) or in blocks. These templates can be edited physically, but your best bet is to go to the template manager, clone the default template set and call it also YourName, then activate it (also in Admin > Preferences > General settings) and make your editions in Admin > Templates > YourName.

All this sounds more complex than it really is, and once you get the hang of it, it'll be really REALLY easy.

Cheers.

m0nty
  • 2003/12/20 22:42

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

clear your browser cache.. ie temp internet files.. that should solve it..

zer0fill
  • 2003/12/20 23:11

• zer0fill

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/2

what i do is

1. have the first browser window re-compile/update the module
Module data updated.
Updating templates...

Template info/info_leader.tpl inserted to the database.

Template info/info_local.tpl inserted to the database.

2. have another window open to test the changes

now, whenever you make a change reload window1 then see the changes in window2. i wouldn't want to edit the files directly off the database because if i wanted to send my module to another domain, i'd have to cut/paste to the files to reflect the updates than just sending over the files that were already updated.

btw, it doesn't seem that the automatic-update works all the time, hence this method.

arbaronx
  • 2003/12/20 23:17

• arbaronx

• Just popping in

hsalazar, thanks for your excellent advice.

Tho i was up with you on all points except, deleting the files in /template_c.

1) the site isnt yet live, so i have the updaye button checked [yes]

2) Use frontpage anf cuteFTP

3) deleted all the files

4) Dont touch the XOOPS default theme, using montisarts black theme set. Editting theme.html & style.css

5) Selected my cloned templates from montisarts set.

With this done, I sill see the orig uneditted theme.
Also cleared my temp ache etc.

what AM i missing ?? hehe

cheers

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/21 7:52

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Only other thing I can think of is to clear your internet cache from your browser. Also, if your using Internet Explorer, holding down 'Shift' while clicking refresh will force the browser to reload all the information from the site bypassing your local copies of the files including .css and images previously viewed.

Although this has already been mentioned, I'm of no use to you!

Good luck.

arbaronx
  • 2003/12/22 1:58

• arbaronx

• Just popping in

Hi fellas,
Thanks for all your help over the weekend. I have tried everything you lot have advised, all to no avail.
My hoster told me this morning that they changed the IP#'s and this stuffed up a few things, redirects and cuteFTP-ing the gawd knows where.
Yet i still cannot get my templates to update. i am assuming that somewhere something is still pointing to the worng place and untill THATS resolved, well.... smegged if i know.

cheers

xoops, devs and users are the best. pity the rest aint.

CBlue

After you make changes to your theme.html file, delete the old theme.html file and upload the new one. Overwriting files does not always work on servers. Then go to your templates_c folder on your server and delete everything except the index.html file. Your changes should then be seen.

arbaronx
  • 2003/12/22 2:15

• arbaronx

• Just popping in

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!
Now........ that the ftp was pointing in the right direction, i overwrote the theme.html and the template WAS updated.
AT last! sheesh.

cheers again all, beers are on me!

ronx

PS every bother ive had has been me or my server.
never doubt xoops
hehe

CBlue

That's great, ronx!

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits