DonXoop
Starting to fall apart before I go live....

I'm loving XOOPS already and felt good enough to help a few people with problems I knew how to fix. Now I have one of my own. Certain things are acting very strangely. Some admin functions produce garbage on the screen if I'm in Mozilla on *nix and when on IE it offers to download admin.php instead of returning to the admin screen.

One that will do it everytime is the final Submit to changes from the Modules screen. I get the second screen to confirm my changes and when I submit I get garbage. The changes are saved however, I just have to manually get back to the site.

Trying to approve pending comments either gives me a blank screen or spits garbage at me, the comment is not approved. The language selection module doesn't work anymore. And a few other stange things that are possibly related to a common problem.

Any hints of where to look? Looking at my site might not help much unless you are an admin but perhaps you might see a clue. I'll post if needed. Thanks to the XOOPS family...

Herko
Re: Starting to fall apart before I go live....
  • 2003/12/20 0:31

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

turn GZip compression off... We've had this issue here as well, and are currently looking into this.

Herko

DonXoop

Quick reply! I don't have gzip turned on but I did have it on about a week ago but found other ways to make it go. That does however make me think of something else.. I recently recompiled all the bits of Apache/PHP/MySQL and added zlib compression inside PHP. I also have the Zend Optimizer but that has been no problem for over a year.

I'll give the zlib compression a look if the server isn't busy. I'll post back if it helps the X. I'm really hoping it is that simple...... here I go..... back in a flash..

DonXoop

crap, it didn't help, I was almost confident. I turned zlib.output_compression off in php.ini, and turned persistent MySQL connection off in mainfile.php. No change.

I turned gzip on and then back off just in case it was really on.

So you've seen what I'm talking about? I'll keep an eye on the board for the latest news....

If you want to peek at my humble site:
Car club site.

jusui
  • 2003/12/20 2:34

• jusui

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/29

I don't have a precise fix for your problem, but I can tell you that this kind of stuff started happening to us before we launched as well. XOOPS is a fragile dear, if you work on it too hard it feels abused :) my only advice is to get in the habit of exporting your database in between every major change, so that if something you do breaks anything, you can go back in and reload the module, then reload the dbtables. What you are describing sounds more like a data problem than a server configuration issue, since it worked before and then quit working.

DonXoop

Now that I'm more familiar with X I can see where I could have protected myself better. It looks like I'll have to start over. The little bit of content and userbase will be the bigger pain to migrate. I won't know where the problem lies and can't migrate it all without risk.

I sure would like to keep the userbase. I know a few modules I won't be using this time around

I still like it...

So any comments on the site?...

CBlue

You're site looked fine to me, DonXoop! I browsed through it and saw no problems with it.

DonXoop

Thanks for the thumbs up. I was about to make it prettier when things started getting wonky. At least I can copy the theme over. It was actually spooky to see all the hits from all over coming in.

What is active seems to work, it is the admin that is starting to break. And that has me at a dead end until I fix it. The only "hacks" I did was to enable Remember Me for logon and another minor fix. Being in Canada I really need language switching and that didn't work very well. Not for content as much as the basics of labels so navigation is easy. The content will be multi as needed.

This wouldn't be so bad if I was being paid at least for part of the job but it is just our performance club so no money.... It's a good thing I love the community invloved and the challenge of making it work. It is going to be a long night.. Let it snow more....

DonXoop

I found the module that was giving me grief. It was the Select Language on the fly module. I followed the instructions for making it work on ver 2, block appears but didn't change the language. PHP debug spit a few lines of uglies and I suddenly had the wonky Admin functions like not being able to approve comments etc.

Luckily this time I had a copy of the database just before installing it (and before every other module install). I removed the module and restored the database and I'm back to working.

I don't know what it touched in the db and I don't have time to find it now. And since I'm building the new site I'll keep motoring on instead of trying to fix the original.

I hope to get language switching sometime but not with heavy hacking or risking blowing up the site.

Thanks everyone for the support.

talunceford

NM

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits