kjs222
Sponteneous new_bb crash; please comment
  • 2003/12/5 22:49

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/1 1

The site has been up for a couple months with 1825 posts. All-of-a-sudden today the new_bb stopped working:

- no longer allows posts (give message: "Could not insert forum post"... which
- no longer shows posts (or threads).... no discernable error message given.

I'm running 2.0.3 still (I'm hoping to upgrade soon when I get someone who can work with CVS), but this is a high-traffic site and I could really use a solution ASAP (if not sooner).

I have found that this problem has occured before (at least, it looks like the same problem):

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11136&forum=7

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12155&forum=7#forumpost49044

... soooo.... there doesn't seem to be a solution in these posts! Did these people just abandon their forums?

My db version is: MySQL 4.0.16

I've run the check / repair / analyze / optomize features on the table, and none of them did anything.

Please, if anyone has any ideas I'd be appreciative. While my forum module is 2.0.3, it is also fairly hacked. I used the reply-below-thread hack... I'm not sure which other ones.

Thanks,
Keith

mvandam
Re: Sponteneous new_bb crash; please comment
  • 2003/12/5 23:08

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

This may be similar to the problem David_Topping had (mentioned in that other thread). It was related to some inconsistencies that arose among the forum tables. Not sure why this happens... I think it is a php or MySQL problem because I have a similar thing happen on one occasion with a different PHP script (not xoops).

Anyways, I've forwarded you some email transcript of the process which eventually led to solving the problem. (To the email address in your user profile.)

Good luck!

kjs222
  • 2003/12/6 13:41

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

First, great thanks to mvandam for his post. I have found an easy and lossless solution (big grins). While I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, you can at least try this:

1. Turn on blocks/mysql debug
2. IF you see any error message related to:

Can't open file: '*_bb_posts_text.MYI'. (errno: 145)
Can't open file: '*_bb_posts.MYI'. (errno: 145)
... etc...

Then that's a corrupted table file... I'm not convinced it is/isn't caused by new_bb, though I have a feeling it's a MySQL problem... the odd thing is that it appears to happen to all forums (IPB, phpBB, etc).

My initial problem in tracking the problem came because my error was in a different table than previous complainants. I can only assume this solution holds true for any table (though db admins out there can clarify beyond my knowledge)

So, what to do? Don't delete the table, don't restore from archive, simply type into command-line / MyPhpAdmin:

repair table [table_name];

Done, fixed, over with. I had my server support (who I usually trust) telling me my only option was to restore from archive - WRONG!

Hope no-one runs into this problem themselves, and if you do, hope you found this thread quickly, and hope it worked.

Many thanks to all sources of info which supported this solution,

Keith

CBlue

If you use phpmyadmin, you can repair any corrupted table by clicking on that table's link in your XOOPS database. Then click on the "operations" link at the top of the page. You will see a list of things you can do with this table, including repairing it. You can also copy table data from one database table to another one in this section.

jobiwan
  • 2003/12/22 20:28

• jobiwan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/1

Have a similar but slightly different problem to this one and thought this thread may provide a solution...tried repairing all the BB tables in PHPMyAdmin but problem persists.

One, and only one, forum topic will not display any message other than the first post when in threaded view mode.

I get the table of posts but cannot view each one other than the first. the error I get is:

Error - The forum/topic you selected does not exist. Please go back and try again.
If the page does not automatically reload, please click here

I have checked the database and, as I said, repaired it but this appears to be more a php/coding error(?).

Any help would be appreciated.
The forum topic url is:
http://www.petelambfishing.co.nz/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12&forum=2

Many thanks in advance
jobiwan.

kjs222
  • 2003/12/23 5:09

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

I just checked your site and couldn't find the error... all the same, here's a general check;

Have you been manually editing Forum ID in the database? If so, you may have caused other related tables (topics, posts/text) to go out of sync (I did that when I first began hacking). The easiest solution is to re-order your ForumIDs as before... the more difficult solution is to determine the process of updating ForumID links in other tables to refer to the correct ones.

Similar problems might have been caused by manually changing (in SQL) any other forum table.

Not sure if that will help, but it's the best I can think of for now.

Cheers,
Keith

CBlue

Something else you can try that may work is go to forum admin and click on sync forum/topic index.

jobiwan
  • 2003/12/23 11:20

• jobiwan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/1

Tried the sync thing but no joy...then it dawned on me to double check the urls diplayed for the links to each message - an therein was the problem exposed.

I had earlier (4 weeks ago) shifted this topic to another forum (manually via PHPMyAdmin) and somehow the posts had reverted back to the original forum ID no. Wierd huh!?!

Anyway that was easilly fixed by shifting it out of the forum and then back in and confirming the change in forum ID no. in the database.

Sorry I didn't post this sooner but I had to rush off to pick up my wife and get some last minute xmas shopping done. Thanks for the replys.

Merry xmas everyone!

CBlue

Merry Christmas to you too, jobiwan!

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits