hiskid
Do I really need to upgrade my Xoops version?
  • 2003/12/5 16:31

• hiskid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/16

I installed, configured, and rolled out my website using XOOPS 2.0.3. When I upgraded to 2.0.5, I lost everything!! 2.0.5 wouldn't even display a blank page. I don't know exactly what happened, but I could not get even 1 page to load. Resoring the mainfile.php didn't help. So I had to restore the site using a site backup I made of 2.0.3. It is running on an Apache/Linux machine that I do not have control over.

So my question is this; What will I gain by upgrading to 2.0.5.1? Since I know that 2.0.5 is going to blow up my website, will 2.0.5.1 fix it again? I am wondering if it is really worth the effort. I am looking for feedback.

Thx,

HisKid

CBlue
Re: Do I really need to upgrade my Xoops version?

I used 2.03 then upgraded to 2.05 and had no problems. Then I used the 2.05 patch to 2.05.1 and had no problems except one. The only problem that I'm experiencing now is in the forums. When I post a reply on a topic, the return page does not show my reply at the top of the page like it did before, instead it shows the first post in that topic.

You have to decide whether you want to upgrade or not. The upgrades are supposed to fix security holes and fix bugs.

Mithrandir

neither 2.0.3, 2.0.5 or 2.0.5.1 is supposed to blow up websites

I have run 2.0.3, 2.0.5 and now upgraded to 2.0.5.1 without problems (however, I didn't upgrade to 2.0.5, but installed it fresh, when I moved host)

Basically, if your site is running well with 2.0.3, there's no reason to upgrade it - although I cannot remember if there were e.g. security reasons for upgrading.

DobePhat
  • 2003/12/5 19:41

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

I had some issues with the 2.0.5 upgrade initially as well...It was some files in the include's/ folder
I believe header (maybe?) etc.

I rolled back a few specific files as a result...
I did mention it on a post somewhere on this site...and stupid me did not make note if it myslef so I don't remember.

You won't miss out on much at the moment though. Many modules are still 2.0.3 and not necasarily 2.0.5.

Some people still use XOOPS pre 2.0! So as you can see it just depends on what you need or require.

djsckizo
  • 2003/12/6 9:25

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

My only complaint about upgrading from 2.0.3 to 2.0.5.1 is that of my boards got messed up. It won't show older posts unless you go to the drop down box and choose "From the Beginning". I'm thinking of rolling it back actually.

CBlue

I'm tempted to roll back to 2.05 from 2.05.1 because I can't figure out how to make the new post that is submitted, when you finish posting it show up on the returned page. Instead the returned page brings up the oldest post. It used to do that for me before I upgraded. I've gotten complaints from users about it.

Mithrandir

Isn't it just setting the forum to display newest first?

CBlue

No, MithyT2. When me and my users go to the forums we want to see the oldest posts listed first. I set it up in the system admin general settings to do this.

But when you make a post on the forum in reply to another post, and you click to submit it, the post that you see when you come back to the topic is the oldest post and not the post that you just posted on the board. It used to be that when you post a message, you would then be returned to the topic and the post you just made would be seen in the window. It won't do that for me anymore.

I tried using different themes to see if that was the problem and it isn't.

hiskid
  • 2003/12/8 3:56

• hiskid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/16

Thanks for all the input peeps! Looks like I'll just let it be for now...

HisKid

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits