corker
"Who's Online" problem
  • 2003/12/2 23:55

• corker

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/1

I've been having trouble with the Who's Online block. Guests seem to stay "logged in" for days, even though they're not active. It sometimes happens with the Members too; I'll leave, come back a day later, and it still marks my username as logged in but makes me a guest.
Sorry if that was confusing; it's not too easy to explain.

Is this an already reported bug, and can it be fixed?

CBlue
Re: "Who's Online" problem

I've noticed this on one of my sites too.

corker
  • 2003/12/3 0:08

• corker

• Just popping in

Yeah, and I don't get that much traffic. I'm trying to imagine what would happen if I got any more (1683 user(s) are online? )

mvandam
  • 2003/12/3 0:20

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Please search the forums for other threads on this topic.

Basically what happens is that the "who's online" data is not updated continually. To 'conserve' performance it is only updated one every 10 logins (or maybe once per 100). Thus on a low traffic site the data can be very out of date, especially if most visitors are anonymous.

If you really need accurate 'who's online' info, I think there are some hacks mentioned in those threads too. Basically there is a probability of running a 'garbage collector' and you can increase this probability...

corker
  • 2003/12/3 0:36

• corker

• Just popping in

Thanks - did some searching on garbage collect and found the answer to my problem. Perhaps changing the probability of garbage collect being run could be integrated into the admin prefs in the future...?

CBlue

A hack was created that fixes this problem. Check out this thread.https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14398&forum=21&post_id=58574#forumpost58574

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits