TheFinni
new block group positioning for header or other location of page
  • 2003/12/1 4:15

• TheFinni

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/25

Hello!
I have a feeling that this is a quite difficult task...But still I would like to ask. Basically I would like to create another block group such as the clblocks,ccblocks and crblocks.

My need for this is that I would like to include a random block (depending on what page I'm at) in the header part of the web page.

I managed to sort of do this by using the crblocks and using this only for the header. I thought I could just not use the crblock in the main part of my page and let the clblocks spread 100% throughout my page. This actually worked but now I am felling that certain items would be more efficiently used if they were displayed in two blocks aside each other (i.e clblocks and crblocks)

If someone would be kind to point out where these function files for the blocks locate I would attempt to create a block location such as hdblocks (headerblocks).

Thanks for any assitance,

THomas

CBlue
Re: new block group positioning for header or other location of page

I would guess that it could be done by creating a theme and a template for that theme that have the extra block in them. But I don't know if it's possible. Hopefully one of the developers have the answer to your question, Thomas.

TheFinni
  • 2003/12/2 5:29

• TheFinni

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/25

Thank you CBlue,
I understand what you are saying...Yes it might be possible to do with the actual theme design...allthough I would prefer to do it as an actual block that could be controlled through the admin panel.
As of now I have used the left center block as a block placed in a precise location of my page. It works nicely but now I'm thinking I would like to utlize the left center block in the content as well (so I could have two blocks besides eache other)

If one could do something in the theme such as:

In the header:

<{forFIRST item=block from=$xoops_crblocks}> <{$block.content}>
<{/foreach}>

and then in the main center column:

<{forTHEFOLLOWING item=block from=$xoops_crblocks}> <{$block.content}>
<{/foreach}>

Then I could always make sure I had that desired block in the header and the rest of the blocks in their respective order would appear after...

Do you follow what I am saying?

Here's my development site. You can see that I have implemented a random image as a liquid background as the crblocks. But that as dissabled me from using those blocks in the center column.

http://www.flagstaffbiking.org/index.php

(this is my first XOOPS site)

The current page (in the root) is just too diifcult to maintain... That's why XOOPS!

Thank you for any advice! Developer's welcome! *smile*

CBlue

I was suggesting you have these blocks you want not only added in a theme but in a template. The template is supposed to set up the look of the site's layout. I'm just speculating here but I think it is possible to create the new blocks that you can control in the block admin by having a template for your default that has these blocks included.

I may be wrong though and that's why I was hoping that someone that has done this themself or knows if this will work, will post it here for you.

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 229

kenaanna,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!