DobePhat
Why a mac CSS>?
  • 2003/10/31 17:42

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

I understood about netscape but mac?

Netscape 7.1.. to be honest I just recently copied the same style sheet as IE and renamed NN and surpisingly there are very few issues.

Wonder if it will be the same for mac?
Why was there one made for mac? And does it always redirect to the mac style sheet if mac user, even though they may use IE?

Just a question I never asked but suddenly thought of!
Thanks

ackbarr
Re: Why a mac CSS>?

because IE for the Mac and IE for windows utilize two seperate rendering engines, there were significant differences in the CSS capabilities of these two browsers. Because of this, different stylesheets are served to Mac users. Now that a Mac also has Gecko (Netscape) and KHTML (Safari) based webbrowsers this situation is further muddled. IMO the user agent detection needs some fine tuning, to deal with newer browsers, or altogether removal.

If the current theme includes a Mac specific stylesheet, this sheet will always be sent to a Mac computer. If not, the default theme stylesheet (styles.css) will be served to the user.

DobePhat
  • 2003/10/31 19:18

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
the user agent detection needs some fine tuning, to deal with newer browsers,

-Agreed.

Well I would like to just use the same syle sheet that Im using for mac and NN as Mac.
Im betting this wotn be a problem....

Does anyone know of a "simulator" (though most aren't entirely accurate) that can show me a snapshot of what the Mac will look like? I imagine if Netscape had very little problems with my theme (which is a heavy mod of default) than Mac wouldn't either.

Meanwhile Mac users are getting redirected to the default theme then right? Which disappoints me...

ackbarr

no what I meant that to say was that if stylesMAC.css was not available, styles.css would be used instead. Actually my recent approach is to use 1 stylesheet for all my styles, using css hiding tricks to keep bad browsers from processing rules they do not understand.

As far as a simulator, I have never heard of one, but usually I will ask for a site check either in this forum, or on webdesign-l and ask for Mac users to comment on the functionality of the design. Not very efficient on time, but efficient on the pocketbook

DobePhat
  • 2003/10/31 19:49

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

So if I remove the mac css, then it will just use the default "style.css" in that theme folder right?

Because I'd like mac users to see the site the way pc users do!

And most of my them is reliant on simple style rules...

I found out some local universities useing mostly mac computers, and thats why Im checking this out...thanks!

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits