• Since: 2002/10/18

Could anyone tell why it happened?

onokazu
Re: "Could not register new user" after upgrade from Xoops 2.0.3 to 2.0.5
  • 2003/11/4 17:04

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

Are you still having this problem? If so, could you tell me when does the error message show up?

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/4 22:34

• Anonymous

• Since:

I recently upgraded from 2.0.3 to 2.0.5 and I also had a few complaints from new users who couldn't register their account! I have to add their account manualy.

Mithrandir

the Software firewall blocking HTTP Referrer?
Was also there in 2.0.3, but might be the problem here, too... Otherwise, we'll need more information about the problem and when it arises (is it by the end of the process? or from the very beginning? Is it all users? Or just a select few? That kind of thing)

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/4 22:45

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

... Otherwise, we'll need more information about the problem and when it arises (is it by the end of the process? or from the very beginning? Is it all users? Or just a select few?...

Since my update I received about 3 emails from guests who couldn't register, so just a select few I would say.

Mithrandir

Then ask them to check their settings in the software firewall (if they are using one) and see, if they don't block your site's HTTP Referrers. If they do, ask them to permit those HTTP Referrers for your site.

If they don't block those... then I don't know, but if some can and some cannot, then there is a problem with the ones, who cannot

Tuxster
  • 2003/11/11 2:35

• Tuxster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/11

From what I see you can probably rule out both the upgrade and the firewall hypothesis. I can reproduce this error with certainty from one PC in particular. The site is a new install of XOOPS 2.0.5 (not an upgrade) and another PC on the same network behind the same firewall works fine.

Several users complaining about this error message when they try to register. It happens immediately after you click the [Finish] button on a screen which looks like a confirmation screen of everything you have entered. No other message or information appears; just "Could not register new user.".

Tracing through the code it looks like the database insert is failing (using MySQL 4.0.x). But I don't get a SQL return code back, just 'false'. There must be some way to turn some loggin on?

Tuxster
  • 2003/11/12 21:30

• Tuxster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/11

Ok, I re-read the above post and it was indeed the firewall (for some reason I was thinking the hardware firewall). Zone Alarm was on this PC and blocking HTTP_REFERER so I got a read-only database connection from Xoops.

All is not lost though. After combing through the XOOPS source code for why this was happening I am now totally impressed with the very clever security model and managed to learn enough to write my first module!

Rikard
"Could not register new user" after installation of Xoops 2.0.5
  • 2003/11/16 17:48

• Rikard

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/16

Im not sure i understood all the posts above.

Im having the same problem with my Xoops2 v.2.0.5 installation.
Only local users can register/change their accounts. Even computers on my LAN can register, but not ppl from outside. I use the Firewall in Windows XP Pro, and have port 80 open.

What can i do to solve this problem?

Windoze
Re: "Could not register new user" after installation of Xoops 2.0.5
  • 2003/12/4 15:01

• Windoze

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/3

Hi,

Would it be possible to have the referer check configurable to be used or not? I know that is a secutiry issue, but I also believe that it should be possible using XOOPS behind personal firewalls that blocks the referer information. One should not have to change any configuration options in the personal firewall to be able to register in XOOPS or to use other tools in the site.

My opinion 1: If I would like to compromise the security level I should be able to do that.

My opinion 2: We should instead encourage people to start using personal firewalls instead of telling them that they have to reconfigure them to be able to use sites developed based on XOOPS.

So please tell me, would this be possible or not, having the referer info configurable or not (to be used or not)? And please do not tell me that this is a security issue etc.

Kind Regards,
Little Windoze

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits