feral1
Limiting forum search to a members groups
  • 2003/10/18 1:13

• feral1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/13

I recently posted the following comment to the thread athttps://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10068&forum=20

It may be more relevant here.

Can anyone help or suggest a way forward on how to limit the ability of guests (and ordinary registered users) to see references to material in the forum when they use search - but still allow a by-appointment 'members' group to search the forum?

Quote:
Re: Limiting anonymous users' search ability

Quote:
Ace_Armstrong wrote:
Is there a way that we can allow registered users to search the message boards, but not allow anonymous users (who don't have access to those boards) to include the newbb module in the search?

I have a similar problem, but mine isn't really fixed by simply switching off the search function in newbb, although I may have to settle for that as a compromise.

I have three groups (+ Admin): (1) anonymous guests (2) registered users (3) appointed members - a subset of the resgistred users.

Ideally, I'd like the forum to be bisible (and searchable) only by members.

I can set it up so (a) no-one can search - but then members can't search their own forum - (b) or have search switched on, in which case two groups which shouldn't be aware of the forum keep finding references to it when they do a search.

Is there a hack for this? (I'm running 2.05) Or am I asking too much?

Incidentally, I chose XOOPS for a particular project afrer first considering some other options (drupal came closest). I love XOOPS - but still find that i lack the permissins flexibility I really seek.

ideally, I'd like every single feature to be swithcable on or off for any group or individual. No CMS I'ce found so far seems to be able to do that.

Xoops comes fairly close - at least for group permisssions management - but this is a case in point where more flexibnility would be nice.

Having said that, what an amazing CMS! Compliments to all who've brought it to this point.

sunsnapper
Re: Limiting forum search to a members groups

I wonder if it would work to only give permission to see the search block to your special Forum "members" group.

If you still want other users to have access to a search function, perhaps it would be satisfactory to give them permission for the google search block with your site specified in the search string.

A site specific search in google looks like this:
search term site:xoops.org
http://www.google.com/search?q=search+term+site%3Axoops.org

Just a thought for a workaround. Hope that helps.

feral1
Re: Limiting forum search to a members groups
  • 2003/10/20 10:41

• feral1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/13

Thanks sunsnapper.

It's a thought, but doesn't really do the trick.

Ideally i want everyone to be able to search the site, but limit access so certain modules can't be searched by guests and regular users.

Íf anyone could write a hack for this it would be magic.

Best of all would be for greater permissions flexibility built into future XOOPS versions.

Easy for me to say, of course. But I hope this may be a little bit of useful feedback for the development team of this superb project on the sort of permission flexibility which at least some community-type sites would like.

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits