catalin
Static page generation
  • 2003/10/16 6:52

• catalin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/4 7

Xoops core team ... can u invent a module for XOOPS that takes the XOOPS PHP files and converts them into static html files ???

http://www.devarticles.com/art/1/510 <<-- check it out for the general ideea ...

a html file is better in google indexing and reduces the work of the webserver making its performance grow.

The ideea is that every new article ... the forum or what ever there is on the site to be generated in a separate direcotry as html files ( the script should auto-update the html files at intervals set by us )

pls make one :)

sunsnapper
Re: Static page generation

For what it's worth, the Smarty template cache system used by XOOPS limits queries and boosts performance to compare to static HTML.

As for Google, I'm pretty sure XOOPS doesn't have much trouble getting indexed (other than perhaps forum posts).

For example, do a google search on a username, like "Xoops ackbarr" and it will return various XOOPS driven sites.

ackbarr

/me gets curious and googles for himself

catalin
  • 2003/10/17 7:18

• catalin

• Just popping in

k, i found out that b2evolution has the power to gen static pages out of the php pages ( visit www.cyber-cup.ro/blog/blog_a.html if ya don`t believe me ) and afterwards visit www.cyber-cup.ro/blog/ they are identical ( almost cause i did not update the html ) ... but anyway ...

the b2evolution has a script ( that i ripped it from the b2blogs.php file ) that takes the path of the php file from the MySQL database, takes the filename and all other thingies and using ob_get ( more on php.net ) and fsock generates a clean super html file ... that google indexes it like hell man ... i mean u will win top 3 in just MAXIMUM 2 weeks.

here is the source code of the script but i don`t know how to teleport it as a module for Xoops.

<?php
if ($user_level < 2)
{
die( T_('You have no right to generate static pages.') );
}

$staticfilename = get_bloginfo('staticfilename');
if( empty( $staticfilename ) )
{
echo '<p>', T_('You haven\'t set a static filename for this blog!'), "</p>\n</div>\n";
break;
}

// Determine the edit folder:
$edit_folder = get_path( 'base' ) .get_bloginfo('subdir');
$filename = $edit_folder.'/'.get_bloginfo('filename');
$staticfilename = $edit_folder.'/'.$staticfilename;

printf( T_('Generating page from <strong>%s</strong> to <strong>%s</strong>...'), $filename, $staticfilename );
echo "<br />\n";
flush();

ob_start();
require $filename;
$page = ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();

// Switching back to default locale (the blog page may have changed it):
locale_activate( $default_locale );

echo T_('Writing to file...'), '<br />', "\n";

$fp = fopen ( $staticfilename, "w");
fwrite($fp, $page);
fclose($fp);

echo T_('Done.'), '<br />', "\n";
?>

can u make it a module for XOOPS ??? plsss ... for google maniacs and other thingies like that it would make a great diference ...

catalin
  • 2003/10/17 7:26

• catalin

• Just popping in

sunsnapper ... if XOOPS would genereate from the code i gaved here an html version of the site every "whattimeuwant" (using the script) al 900 search engines on the net will index it like hell and there wont be any more need for other stupid search engine services or other thingies like that ... just XOOPS ... this wiil do a lot of good for XOOPS ( becomnig with the help of the indexed sites ( which for sure will have top 3 in google ) the #1 CMS on the net ).

It`s your choice ... i don`t have time and don`t know the XOOPS core very well to develop an XOOPS version of this script.

Anyway u chose ... But a module that genereates static pages ( html versions of the site would be apreciated ) i mean it ... and not only for google ... even yahoo, overture, astalavista and ho knows what other major webengines ... u name it ...

search engines WON`T index dinamicaly generated pages ( php ) farther then the level 2 ( level 2 of indexing out of 10 ) ... i mean it ... because of fear of geting stuck in url that look alike ...

It all depends on the XOOPS core team ... if they can do that ...

can ya ?

sunsnapper

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on this.

But, as long as we are on the topic... I have begun seeing the following in message board archives:

You land in the archive on a stripped down HTML page. At the top of the thread it says "If you would like to see the original forum thread with graphics Click Here"

I guess the idea is save bandwidth costs by not pushing out Avatars, emoticons, and buttons when it can be avoided. Also, it looks like a good way to have spiders index message threads.

I mention it here because if the Devs decide to integrate static page creation into Xoops, they may want to consider this archiving feature, as well.

Example:

http://forums.htmlcenter.com/archived/Graphics_and_Flash/12/Backgrounds%3F/258.html

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/archive/topic/7494-1.html

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits