blueteen
Re: [BETA] multiMenu 1.8, when mm goes dynamics
  • 2006/4/1 7:02

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/16

hi,
does swith vertical menus works on aka's website with original's theme ?

only vertical swith menu have problems ?

if you try to include your block's menu in your theme, you must pay attention with block's name and position (left, center, right's column) in order to make content appears.

barryc
  • 2006/4/1 8:04

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

No, I tried both my original theme and the one in which I had tried the <include...> method to show the top nav menu. Using the include method with RC2, of course, does not work any more, but the switch vertical and some other menus toward the top of the list (in block set up) did not work with either theme.

I will try this again over the weekend and try to spell out better what happens if it breaks again.

By the way, I have worked out most of the changes needed in the css to make the new method of showing top nav menus look right on my test site. I am having trouble figuring out how to center the menu items, though. That is, how to center the block such that the menu items are shown in the center of the bar.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

blueteen
  • 2006/4/1 8:10

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

ok, can we look at this problem on monday ?

barryc
  • 2006/4/1 21:44

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Of course. I was off work this week. That's why you heard from me so much

I will be working Monday so I might not get a chance to look until the evening (US Pacific time).

Enjoy your weekend.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

barryc
  • 2006/4/2 1:34

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I hope Solo and blueteen don't look at this until Monday. They deserve their weekend off.

I think I found another bug. Blueteen, if you check out my test site, barryc.net, you will see that I changed the menu you had added for convention, to be visible only when logged on, that is not visible to anon. It has a drop down sublink (permanent sublink). When one accesses the site as anon, the convention link is not visible, but the sublink is shown as belonging to the adjacent link (Affiliate Clubs in this case).

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

blueteen
  • 2006/4/3 6:28

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

hello !

it is not a bug !
you only have to delete access's rights for 'anonymous' to the permanent sublink : "beginners guide"

if you hide mainlink to one group, you must hide his sublinks too, else, sublinks are taken in account for the precedent mainlink.
i'm clear ? (bad english :-p

i've seen your tip used to insert "•" between your links
good idea.
another approach is to modify the template.

i'll have a look for your menu's problem on aka.org.
i'll try some menus visible by admin only.

blueteen
  • 2006/4/3 6:55

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

for aka's website.
ok, i've generated multimenu's templates.
normal's menus work well.
there's aways a probleme with dyn menus.

i can see in multimenu's templates :

multimenu_block_02.html : 5 times !
(same thing for others files)

there are somes old templates, with bad filenames for html templates files !

in template's admin, remove all files : multimenu_block_*.html (60 files !!)
and generate only new templates's files.

blueteen
  • 2006/4/3 7:29

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

ok i've deleted all old multimenu's templates.
switch vertical menus are working now.

vertical, vertical2 are working too.

Resized Image

blueteen
  • 2006/4/3 8:45

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

abouthttp://www.barryc.net/modules/news/
i've modified the css for horizontal dropdown.

added : #navcontainer ul {text-align:center;} in multimenu_dyn_horiz.html

and _margin: 0;

in

li.multimenu {
list-style: none;
margin: -3px;
display: inline;
}

for margin under IE.

then, i've updated this template in admin, and now, look at barryc, and tell me if it's ok for you :)

"•" are now generated dynamically (only between links, not before first link).

look at multimenu_dyn_horiz.html to see changes

barryc
  • 2006/4/4 1:19

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

blueteen, you are a marvel! I can't thank you enough for the help you've given me to fit multiMenu 1.8 into my needs.

With reference to the last few messages:

I should have thought to make the submenu invisible to anon, just like the parent mainmenu. Normally one would, but I was just testing visibility when logged off vs logged on.

Your method of centering the top nav bar menu and generating the bullets between items is much more sophisticated and better than my kludge. I wish I had the programming skills to come up with that solution myself. I can understand what you've done when I see it, but can't do it from scratch.

Finally, I don't know how the template files got duplicated (quintiplicated?). It must have happened during the upgrade, even though the whole folder was deleted and replaced by the new version. At any rate, as you asy, it now works correctly.

One other note:

On my aka.org site I have a note at the bottom of the menu called "The Basics" to help users recognize that [#] indicates that they have PMs waiting. I tried to use the Note menu type for that, but then it will only appear when the mainmenu item above it is open. To make it show permanently I had to set it as mainmenu. I wonder whether it might be useful to have a menu type "mainnote" that appears at the mainmenu level, but does not act as a link. I can see that some users might also want to have a note appear at the submenu level. I hope you understand what I mean.

How close are we to having a release version? I am considering using the RC2 version on my live site, as it's doing everything that I need.

Multimenu 1.8 is a wonderful upgrade to the older version. I particularly value the ability to generate that nav bar, with specific menu items appearing only to certain groups. It's great, and I thank you and Solo again.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits