Dhurgan
Re: Advanced Downloads Module
  • 2004/4/16 13:44

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/11

Well,
I dont know how Catzwolf modules looks or acts, I havent seen it in any newer revision. I tried to look for a download somewhere but I failed to find it. Maybe it solves my problems, maybe it doesnt. Right now I'm looking at all the XOOPS code and how they doen it to get a feel for it and my impression stays the same.

It works... but I dont think they follow their own coding rules, but perhaps I misunderstood them.

Anyways, If I find Catzwolfs module and can check it out somewhere, then I'll sure look into it, but I'm already far enough on my own to make it happen anyways, if for nothing else, so at least to learn how it fits together.

Dhurgan
  • 2004/4/21 11:56

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Just wanted to mention here... since I been criticising the downloads module a bit

The actual classes for download and upload are not that bad Its the modules that makes it a bit "jiffy".

I think it also should tie in more to the automatic mime handling in php, but thats my view

Just though that I should mention that after looking through the code as I have done now.

And BTW...

The upload.php isnt bugged, it is supposed to > 0

The tests says, if there is anything in the mime-array and the mime-type doesnt exists, then it is false, otherwise its true.

The problem with that statement only comes when there isnt anything in the array, or rather, if its an empty array.
since it defaults to something, the module can leave it as it is or has to overide it and if they override it with a zero length array then I would consider it a bug in the module, not the class.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/4/21 12:23

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

Dhurgan wrote:
Quote:

samuels wrote:
@Dhurgan
Can you tell me the bugs have you solved on Mydownloads Pro? I'm trying to improve it.

I tried to, but I dropped it.

The code looks to be written by several different persons
with different understanding on how XOOPS should work.

The person who added the last stuff seems not to have understood smarty at all for example, if you look at submit.php you can see it has a template but its not used

It uses it's own configuration of mime-types instead of using php built in model and it's depends on the file tags to conclude a type and trusts the user to give the right size of the file.

This is all and good if you are gonna provide links to another site where that webserver is going to provide this information to the client, but its not good enough when you want to store the data localy (at least not to me)and serve
it through the php-scripts.

So what am I doing?

I'm building my own module, I've already gotten upload and download to work, with automatic mime-types and filesizes, what I'm doing right now is figuring out how to make it conform to xoops, and thats not so easy with the current documentation and differently written modules.

I have been reading the Wiki documentation on building a module, problem is that not even the "core" modules abide the rules as I see it. Rigth now I'm trying to find a module or documentation to provide me with the "true way" to make it work in a fully configurable XOOPS manner, and that takes longer than just putting the actual code together

There isnt even documentation on how to connect the MySQL database into it, it seems the rule is "read the friggin code" which would be well if people coudl stick to one way of coding

But I'm getting there and I'' try it out for a while.
BTW, I'm not writing a link module, mydownloads works fine for that. My goals a re a bit different.

* All files stored locally on server.
* User manages his/her uploads.
--* version
--* categories
--* permissions
--* screenshots
--* licenses
* Database will take care of filehandling, that means no
direct linking will be possible, everything will be
handled through php. That also means same filename can
exists as a download any amount of times.
* I will be scanning the files for viruses, exactly how
that will be done I havent yet decided.

Anyways, thats where it stands right now, with me looking at how I can get this into a XOOPS module.

I believe the author of this version of mydownloads Pro actually had taken my first RC1 of this module and it was very much incomplete to say the least, hence the reason why much of this module looks unfinished.

It also seems that we are doing pretty much the same thing with this module thou.

Regarding your point on the array > 0, I will have another look at this and I will have another look over my code. But I still believe it is incorrect (then again, I am normally always wrong lol).

ATB

Catz

Dhurgan
  • 2004/4/22 11:33

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
I believe the author of this version of mydownloads Pro actually had taken my first RC1 of this module and it was very much incomplete to say the least, hence the reason why much of this module looks unfinished.

It also seems that we are doing pretty much the same thing with this module thou.

Regarding your point on the array > 0, I will have another look at this and I will have another look over my code. But I still believe it is incorrect (then again, I am normally always wrong lol).

ATB

Catz

That migth explain a lot, I've been delving deeper and deeper into the XOOPS source lately and found the core to pretty good albeit quite undocumented.

Such a simple thing as to let the imagehandler handle separate users images letting each user upload/update their own images for the bb and other comments in paralell to having a global one that all or groups could use

Anyways, most seems well written, and the uploaderclass seems well written. I can definitly use it for what I'm doing.

It seems a lot of people keep doing the same basic stuff, the more I look the more reworked earlier stuff I see
most of it seems to be copied over without a real understanding of what its used for.

I'm sure your module will be better then mine in many regards since its my first one that alone will make it suffer but I'll do it anyway to get two things...

* My Way
* My Knowledge (upped hopfully)

ringo123
  • 2004/5/11 13:04

• ringo123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/11

Wuz up Caz? Any news??

ringo123
  • 2004/5/11 13:04

• ringo123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/11

Wuz up Caz? Any news??

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits