alitan
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/9 20:33

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

Ok guys, we need to start to make such changes now!
Admins, please post a news regarding the XOOPS Theme Design team and the Member request for WOX team!
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

alitan
  • 2005/12/9 20:34

• alitan

• Quite a regular

Also, if it is possible, we need to write a news article about the XOOPS developers and their experiences and the ways they contribute to Xoops.

damaster
Open or not to open source !?
  • 2005/12/10 1:39

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Hi everybody,

Many of you said things which may frighten the "reader" because they are right and they are true. Yes, XOOPS looks a lot like a capricious kid who says everyday:
- I want the new toy! I want this and that! I want to be mature like him (M. or J. whatever...)
And when somebody comes and cry :
- DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS OVER THAT FIRE OR IT WILL BURN YOU!
He replies:
- You're a bad person! I will prosecute you!

But maybe this X will survive without someone to take care of him? Who knows? Herko? Myth? Maybe Skalpa, who fought the Onokazu policy of "closed development before release" - Tell me honestly, what changed?

This is not be polemic, as X still surviving, please use X search engine.
People here don't know from where they come, they don't know who they are and don't know where they go. To me that's still a lack of good leadership. And it seems that it's also the reason which made leave much members..

Alitan, I admire that kind of attitude, it's very noble.
But the themes question is not new, well, there's nothing new in this thread, it sounds like : Where's the lost work?

To be constructive:
- Just search on the forums and you'll find a Mascotte, a new logo, theme and templates W3C validated, by Wanikoo; Xoopserver (cd show) Xoops running on a USB key, by Mikail ( YES, it works !). Hope that everybody understand there was a lack of organization! About XOOPS Themes, well, Jason have done an important work at Xoops Theme Forge; I kept a copy of our work (private archive) so if you want it ask Herko and Michael (studioc) to give you a copy.

Open or not to open source !?

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Mamba
Re: Open or not to open source !?
  • 2005/12/10 2:49

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Hi Damaster,

if XOOPS had already this done, it's a shame that we didn't continue with this.

Could people who were involved in this let us know what has happened? What did work and what didn't, so we can learn from it?

Unfortunately, you don't provide any links, so I don't know where to see the proposed mascotte. Was the Xoopy officially decided on? If yes, what happened? Just lack of action?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

MadFish
  • 2005/12/10 3:15

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
Was the Xoopy officially decided on? If yes, what happened? Just lack of action?

Yes, but I don't know what happened after. Anyway it was just way too cute. Give us a fish or cool looking insect!!

Mamba
  • 2005/12/10 3:25

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Is this mascotte anywhere to see?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

jdseymour

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
Is this mascotte anywhere to see?

I think he is the little yellow guy on This Page..

JMorris
  • 2005/12/10 3:49

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

//Begin Disclaimer
Quote:
The following opinions are mine and mine only! I am not speaking for the XOOPS Foundation, the Core Team, or even as a representative of XOOPS in this post. The following comments are mine as a user of XOOPS ONLY! Please take them as such.

//End Disclaimer

//Beging Rant

Anymore, it upsets me to visit this site. I visit several times a day, every day so I can keep up with my responsibilities here, but anymore, I choose to do so anonymously.

During my visits, I see the same basic threads, the same basic complaints, the same, the same, the same. It's like a bad broken record that justs keeps skipping.

Can XOOPS do this or that?
Can XOOPS compete with this or that?
How do I do this or that with XOOPS?
Why doesn't this or that work in XOOPS?
The Core Team needs to do this or that!

I actually got so upset at one point that I started evaluating other systems again. Do you know what I found???

I found that XOOPS still provides the best combination of themes, modules, flexibility, and ease of use of ANY free content management system available. PERIOD! NO other product can match XOOPS as a whole!

Sure, there are CMSs that look better.
There are CMSs that have a stronger community.
There are CMSs that have better ____ features.

But NONE have the total package like XOOPS! Not Joomla, not Drupal, not Xaraya, not Postnuke, not Typo3, not CPGDragonfly, not Modx (Etomite), etc, etc, etc...

I've setup a test site for every single product listed on opensourcecms.com and several that are not listed there. NOTHING I've found can compare to how complete XOOPS is.

Now, I'm not saying XOOPS is perfect. On the contrary. There have been several areas I've mentioned to Mith, Skalpa, Herko, and the other Core Team members that I feel need improvement. Some of those suggestions are being worked on. XOOPS will always be improving. But I still haven't found anything out there that has a more complete offering.

Now, with that being said, I have this to say...

There is so much energy wasted around here with hot air, griping, complaining and comparing that could be much better spent improving! If you don't like something around here, get off your duff, put together a proposal, patch, theme, logo, etc and submit it to the Core Team! If it's too big of a job for just you, partner up with a few people and call yourself a team! I don't care how you do it, JUST DO IT!

We can all sit here and complain about what is wrong with XOOPS, but real commitment to XOOPS is demonstrated with action! That's how every Core Team member became a Core Team member, that's how the core got coded, that's how security patches get released, that's how every theme and module got released. Action!

Please forgive me for being so blunt, but a person can only sift through so much crap before they get a little fed up.

//End Rant
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

alitan
  • 2005/12/10 3:58

• alitan

• Quite a regular

@Damster:
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it , but all I am telling is that we need to stop talking about all this stuff and we should start to make all of our goals to happen.
It's been a year and half now, and the new theme is not here yet, so what do you think we should do? Wait? Help? what?
I offered my help about the new theme, but no one accepted! This means that either the webmaster does not want the XOOPS project to be powered by other people, or maybe XOOPS is really dying that no one even cares about it, so when I offer my help, just a simple NO is the answer. What I say is that, if you do not want any help at all, then please,please,please do not postpone the release dates and be punctual please atleast. A theme that was going to be out a one and half years ago, is not out yet, and still we are talking about this.
Seriously what should we do? Start a new project? I do not think it is really effective, nor it is a good Idea to move to Joomla or MAmbo, or whatever other portal.
Anyway, I went to much far away, I should have stayed on topic.
Conlusion ---> If we do'nt get ourselves organized, if we do not cooperate together and if we do not act fast, we will stay behind, many other developers and newbie users will move to other project such as Joomla or Mambo and lastly the XOOPS Project will die!
So As I said before, Wake up guys, and remember, no matter how old are these talks, until we do no solve these issues here, pay our full attention to them
Alitan{{<<>>}}

JMorris
  • 2005/12/10 4:14

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

//Disclaimer still applies!

//Begin Rant... Again.

The Core Team is awake. They do hear the community. Much of what has been mentioned here is being worked on in the background. However, there are only 12 Core Team members and only a few dozen hands actively working on XOOPS. This is a big project and we don't have nearly enough people working on it.

I agree that this site really needs freshening up. If anyone can come up with a fresh, modern, W3C compliant theme that would be appropriate for this site, PLEASE do so! I cannot say whether or not it will be approved, but at least it is a contribution! [Hint: #189DE8 would be a wise accent color!]

If anyone can implement any of the features that have been mentioned, PLEASE do so! Then submit your code to the Core Devs. They will look at it as soon as they possibly can. If it doesn't get approved, don't take it personal! Only the Core Devs know the [code-level] direction XOOPS is taking. Your suggestion may not fit into the direction that XOOPS is taking, but at least you contributed!

If you are a newcomer, PLEASE use the search box at the top right corner of this site and read the FAQ BEFORE you post a support request! The time you spend looking for answers yourself will be less than the time you spend waiting for someone else to spoon feed you and you will be a more competent XOOPS user for it!

If you are an experienced user, PLEASE help the newcomer. This is perhaps the greatest contribution you could offer to XOOPS! We don't have enough people doing this!

//End Rant.... Again.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits