trabis
Re: What a ranker!
  • 2010/5/24 18:06

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

phppp wrote:
As for an ETA of X3, it has been the daily question from mamba for me. I can feel that he is more anxious than anyone of us: no concrete code from me, but more and more pressure from other developers. Sorry mamba, this won't be long.

I have to insist and ask again, when will xoops 3.0 alpha be released?
Last time I asked you about it (in one of our few messenger talks) you told me it would take 2-3 months. I added one more month into your calculation and I took for granted that 3.0 would be released in march.
I was disappointed and still am. When the matter is trusting people, I never ear third party opinions, people will have to fail on me to loose my trust.
I will ask you one last time to give me(and the community) a release date, please.

Mamba
  • 2010/5/24 22:04

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

@ Bjuti
Quote:
I understand. I'm not a programmer, but is it possible somekind of bridge for 2.3+ compatibility in X3? That would be the best solution.

Then the most of old modules will work, and developer could make X3 versions without time gap. None is willing to wait till X3 version of the module come.

As stated here by DJ, the current modules should be compatible with X3
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

noo-b
  • 2010/5/24 22:08

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

please merge 2.45 + 2.5 + 2.6 + 3.0

asap

an announcement actual date of an alpha 3.0 release will be nice
I Love Xoops

bjuti
  • 2010/5/24 22:17

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

2.4.5 is a must, coz 2.4.4 contains some bugs! Then 2.5 ASAP, and no 2.6, just 3.0 alpha in a month, beta in september, final in november. Xoops have no time.

Mamba
  • 2010/5/24 22:24

• Mamba

Quote:
please merge 2.45 + 2.5 + 2.6 + 3.0

Where did you get these versions? And why should they be merged? There is nothing to be merged.

As I've mentioned here, we are working on three versions right now:

The 2.4.5 is a maintenance release, and it's the end of 2.4.x series. The RC2 It should be released today or tomorrow, and a final release hopefully within a week. Then there will be only two versions.

The 2.5.0 is the main one that we're working on. Any bug fixes from 2.4.5, will be added to 2.5.0, if needed.

There is no 2.6.0 version. Wishcraft posted some ideas about future features, but no work has been started, and there are no plans at the moment for starting any work on this.

The 3.0 has a new architecture. Since it has a different architecture, the previous releases cannot be merged into it. The only thing that we'll be focusing on is to ensure that current module work on 3.0.

I hope, it clarifies it a little bit more.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

bjuti
  • 2010/5/24 22:34

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

What about Smarty 3.0 (now in RC stage)? In what version it's gonna be implemented?

Tnx.

Mamba
  • 2010/5/24 22:36

• Mamba

Quote:
What about Smarty 3.0 (now in RC stage)? In what version it's gonna be implemented?

I am sure that the 2.5.0 Team would test it, and if the tests are positive, then it could be included in 2.5.0.

But it would be up to the team...
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mamba
  • 2010/5/24 23:02

• Mamba

@ nmshah
Quote:
Mamba I think you are still not able to understand the problem which is the worst part of it.

I would hope that you would give me some credit that after almost 6 years on the project, I understand at least some of the problems here But sometimes throwing the baby with the bath is not the best solution!

So please be patient and I'm sure that we'll get there all together.

I understand the frustration of some developers, and as DJ said, I've been been harassing him for the last 6 months for dates. And I want to believe that we're getting close to the end of this journey, when 3.0 Alpha will be released.

But as much as we want it "right now", we cannot forget that we are all volunteers and we're doing the development in our free/spare time.

It saddens me that we so often just "demand" things from those poor souls, regardless of what is happening in their personal lives. Do we know if somebody died in their family? If they lost their job? If a new baby was born? If they got married and got divorced? Or if they got sick?

Let's show some compassion for each other, be kind and respectful. Instead of demanding "Why didn't you do it yet" maybe asking "How can I help you" would be a better approach in this Open Source environment.

Quote:
Just my thought but again I am just a user.

Well, why are you still "just a user"? Why can't you become a documentation writer? Or a tester? A member of the support team? Why not join a team and make XOOPS a better CMS?

Come on guys - XOOPS 2.4.4 has been downloaded over 30,000 times in the 4 months since its release (incl. international versions), last week we have crossed the mark of 100,000 registered users on our Website.

The new Themes Demo site rocks thanks to Burning, Burning is working now on updating the repository, every week we're getting new modules and themes, probably the most ever within the last 2-3 years.

So many good things happening, so let's be a little bit more patient.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

noo-b
  • 2010/5/25 0:50

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

Quote:
The 3.0 has a new architecture. Since it has a different architecture, the previous releases cannot be merged into it. The only thing that we'll be focusing on is to ensure that current module work on 3.0.

if i understand this correctly...

so what is the point of continuing 2.5 version if it can't be merged with 3.0 ?

so two main version 2.5 and 3.0 ?

i would like to see the more improved jquery block management of the 2.5 version in 3.0 if thats possible

I Love Xoops

Mamba
  • 2010/5/25 0:59

• Mamba

Because 2.5 could be released next month or two, and with 3.0 we don't know yet when it could be deployed on production site, since we don't have even yet alpha.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits