Mamba
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/9 3:36

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Alitan,

Well said!!!!!

Let's mobilize the troops and get this thing going!!!

I don't have much experience, but I'll help where I can
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

m0nty
  • 2005/12/9 4:16

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

@alitan,

you are right in many ways.. altho there is actually a news team, it's pretty inactive.. that's my fault though, at the moment there's only 2/3 members in the team (me, davidl2 & phppp) but as you know us, we are rather busy with lots of other things and projects too. both me and david were very ill over the summer unfortunately (i still go thru stages of it now and tests at hospital), and had other commitments that needed doing (ie, to bring some much needed cash to my bank balance) and as happened with illness i never quite got back into the swing of the news part. it kept getting pushed down the priority list unfortunately. not purposely i might add..

we have asked a few times for people to join the team to write articles and get to grips with things.. but nobody applied and it's not exactly an easy job like we thought it would be.. we have some great ideas on what to do with the team, but lack the members and the necessary time to do it with just the 3 of us.

So if anybody wants to step up and join the news team and is willing to put some time into it then by all means you are very welcome indeed, the more people the better.. ideally as alitan mentioned about around 15-20 people would be great :) i don't think 15 people will step up for the job.. but those who are interested please apply :)

A Christmas WOX is definitely on the cards, that I promise you (or you can have my address and come and kick my ass)

with regards to the site design, i can't say anything regarding that..

Bender
  • 2005/12/9 5:36

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
@alitan,
you are right in many ways.. altho there is actually a news team, it's pretty inactive.. that's my fault though,

Yeah ... its fully your fault that there are not 20 people stepping up joining the wox or news team. LOL

Seriously Vaughn i can give you guys a hand for wox at least for the upcoming issue over the next week.

But hey *turning to public*: We need more ...

@alitan:
I agree with most of what you said.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

wtravel

Indeed we need more active members to drive XOOPS into the right direction. Core and theme development, news, marketing and all other areas that should be mentioned .

The promotional campaign is not canceled at all. As soon as the necessary graphics are final we can start. But we will need more people to participate in this. The current marketing & communications team is too small considering the limited amount of time everyone can allocate to this project. For myself I can say that October, November and December have been extremely busy with work and study, so I definetely am looking out for people who would like to help in the project.

Most of all we need a clear vision for the future of XOOPS, from both a development and organization point of view! Where do we want to go with the project? These questions will need to be answered and I am expecting to see some answers pretty soon on xoops.org.

Fastian
  • 2005/12/9 8:47

• Fastian

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/6 0

I have been reading this thread from the start. And I think alitan has given it a right direction. I fully agree with his post. DEVs should consider "How to solve this issue?" seriously.

can XOOPS compete with joomla?

To me, sure it can. XOOPS is more user friendly and easy to manage even for a user like me.

Certainly there is something to be done with the graphics and theme stuff.
Quote:
joomla prides itself on graphical looks.. sure it looks nice with all the graphical features etc.. but that's extra page loading time for many people..

With all your respect, there will be less than 10% people that will consider the loading time a reason. Other 90% will be more happy to have a good design.

I am pretty confident that this thread will be giving some better output for the great community.
I m not a Programmer
BUT
I m a Good Learner

new_bie
  • 2005/12/9 8:56

• new_bie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

To be honest I think it´s the beginning of the ending of xoops,lack of collaboration between the developers.
With Joomla is a huge different,they do not want members to join the design team,they have already a lot of them.

what about xoops?no one wants to join the designer team!!
is it because the design of xoops? maybe the designers are feeling more drawn to joomla because of this and the XOOPS members we are only waiting and sitting in front of our computers to only download a nice theme.

by wtravel on 2005/12/9 6:28:11

Indeed we need more active members to drive XOOPS into the right direction. Core and theme development, news, marketing and all other areas that should be mentioned

I think it only stay in words maybe there is a huge difference between joomla and XOOPS and I am not talking about graphics.
By the way if someone creates a tutorial similar to joomla I can create some themes:
http://www.mambosolutions.com/dw_tutorial/

Mamba
  • 2005/12/9 10:05

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Hi new_bie,

Thanks for offering to develop some themes. This is great.

I think, it would be great if we would review the existing themes:

https://xoops.org.es/decorados/modules/news/index.php

(if there are any missing, let's add them there), and then let's somehow decide which ones we as the community like the most. Then let's compare them to Joomla's best efforts, plus to some other cool Webdesigns, decide what make them so cool and special, and then let's develop 2-4 cool themes which could be used as the base for future development.

BTW - there are similar extensions for Dreamweaver to develop XOOPS themes (in case people are not aware of it):

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2358
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

OldFriend
  • 2005/12/9 11:39

• OldFriend

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/28

I just read this at
A small orange

Quote:
Are you looking for a CMS that allows for discussion, a discussion board that allows for a CMS-type portal view, or something even more simple? There are multiple systems available, some of which take more work than others.

If you want something that's easy to setup, that's primarily a forum, but allows a portal-type frontpage, look into SMF. It's not open source, but there's no charge to use the software. Built-in functions allow you to create a portal-page pretty easily (and I think there are even pre-built pages available if you look).

If you want something that's more of a CMS that lets you have discussions, consider drupal. It's a bit more complicated to setup and take some time and work to learn how the system works. Once you do, it does the best job of all the free systems (and better than many commercial systems) of integrating CMS with discussion.

Just don't use anything with "nuke" in the name (or derivatives of, such as xoops) or phpBB. They were all good systems in their time and played big roles in the overall development of such software, but they aren't going to take you too far into the future.

bluenova

Quote:
Just don't use anything with "nuke" in the name (or derivatives of, such as xoops) or phpBB. They were all good systems in their time and played big roles in the overall development of such software, but they aren't going to take you too far into the future.

LOL, I think 6th is talking out of his bottom.

davidl2
  • 2005/12/9 11:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

Bender wrote:

Yeah ... its fully your fault that there are not 20 people stepping up joining the wox or news team. LOL

Seriously Vaughn i can give you guys a hand for wox at least for the upcoming issue over the next week.

and also myself - I'm afraid I only have the excuse of moving home over the last few months - and just working a 12-14 day 6 days a week as an excuse

[/quote]

Quote:

Bender wrote:
But hey *turning to public*: We need more ...

Yes, that is definately true.

We're aiming to get some improvements on the whole news areas coming up in the near future - and of course volunteers will be needed at that time.

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits