CBlue
Re: Problem with private forums being seen by anonymous and registered users!

To clarify where I was adding myself to the private forum for access to it, I was adding myself with my group id into the table that you said in your hack.html to manually create through my phpadmin.

CBlue

I encounted errors on version 2.05.1. The first error was that clicking on the forums link in main menu brought up a page that said error accessing page and then redirected me back to the front page. Since the private forums hack was supposed to be only for the private forums, then why was it not allowing any access to the public forums either? Maybe this is just because it won't work with 2.0.5.1?

Then I realized that I had to manually add users to the private forums group table in sql through my phpmyadmin. I added myself to one of my private forums and used the forum menu block that was part of this hack to get to that private forum that I was added to. When I first clicked on that forum, it brought up a successful access granted page, then the same error page as before showed up right after and redirected me back to the front page.

Why would users of a group have to be added manually in the database for the private forums? Is it because you have to reinstall the newBB module first? You can't just upgrade?

mktwain124
  • 2003/11/28 15:48

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

Thanks, regen_r8!

I'll try it, too, and report back if any problems.

CBlue

Thank you so much, regen_r8! I'm going to try it out! I'll report back if it works correctly with version 2.05.1.

regen_r8
  • 2003/11/28 13:25

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Thanks. If there is anything that I can do to help, let me know. I will be very happy to stop maintaining this hack with each release.

Just remember to document that there are potential performance considerations when the

Quote:
Hide private forums from users without permission

is used. The sql used some outer joins, and for sites with large forums and many groups, this could be problematic.

Rich

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/28 12:41

• Anonymous

• Since:

I will check this, if there are differences.

The further development will add the feature private forum access also controlled by groups not only People...

@regen_r8

I will check this hack and maybe use it as part of the newBB, thx this is nearly what shall be implement into the new newBB

regen_r8
  • 2003/11/28 11:27

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

I have published the 2.0.5 version of this hack Here

Please let me know if there are any problems.

I haven't integrated changes for 2.0.5.1 yet. Based on a review of the changes, there won't be any, but I haven't taken the time to run a diff yet.

mktwain124
  • 2003/11/27 16:47

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

regen_r8 wrote:
Quote:
Activity has died down, and I never published a version for 2.0.5, but I will if you are interested.

Thanks, I would be very interested in an updated version of your hack. Please email me if you post it on your website or post it here as a download. Thanks for your help.

DonXoop

I say yes to getting this up to date. I'd say this will get fixed in the core (Module?). Private should mean private. The rumour mill that starts when people can't get into what is listed is universal. Letting them read but not post is fine if it is clear why. But don't tease them with topics they can't even read.

Great product BTW. I just discovered XoopS.

CBlue

Is it possible that this hack will already work for 2.05 and even 2.05.1? If not, then I definitely am interested!

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits