phppp
Re: What a ranker!
  • 2010/5/24 14:18

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

trabis wrote:
I don't think anyone is motivated for moving modules to blue when we are told that xoops 3.0 is comming soon with new API.
Why have the trouble if we will have to rewrite them for SEO support or for multi instance or or or...
We need to know, at least, the API we can expect, even if we do not have the actual code to play with. We also need to know when. If you(Mamba or DJ) tell me that it will take on more year, then fine, we'll move to blue. If you tell me that it will be next month then again, why bother?

I would agree with trabis on this.

On the other hand, however, even X3 comes to public soon, it is still in alpha state.
And I have advised developers several times in core dev mailing list: while waiting for the next new architecture, implement new features at module level. In this way we can have desired new features without horrible compat issues, and the module level new features can also be good sandbox for future core features.

As for an ETA of X3, it has been the daily question from mamba for me. I can feel that he is more anxious than anyone of us: no concrete code from me, but more and more pressure from other developers. Sorry mamba, this won't be long.

BTW, the last question from trabis: compatibility, which has been the biggest burden for the XOOPS project.
In the past 10 months of full-time development, 50% of my effort is on compatibility, 30% is on architecture design and experiment, 10% on basic modules and components, 10% on new technology.
As you can see, once X3 goes public, we need a lot on module development.
Now, back to compat issue, as a result of so much effort, I have successfully managed to make the new X3 compat with legacy modules and new engine. For example, if you have an SEO solution for a legacy module, it will work with new architecture with new SEO solution for new modules. And of course you can switch your SEO solution to new SEO engine without changing your module backend.

Mamba
  • 2010/5/24 14:25

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I don't think anyone is motivated for moving modules to blue when we are told that xoops 3.0 is comming soon with new API.

I understand the desire to be able to see it and touch it. And I understand the frustration of not being able to touch it.

Yes, we all love to have the newest gadget. That's why Apple was able to sell over 300,000 iPads on first day

But let's look from the user perspective:

Can they be made more happy with XOOPS 2.5 and its cool Admin GUI than they are today? I think so.

Can they be made more happy with updated modules than they are today? I think so.

So would it generate more user satisfaction with delivering those two elements right now? I think so!

I really wish we would focus more on delivering a "kick-ass" release of 2.5.0, than spending so much time talking about 3.0.

I hope, DJ will provide some estimates for the release, but even if 3.0 is released in June, it will be an Alpha. We don't know how long it will take to get from there to beta, RC, and then finally a production version. It could be end of this year before people could deploy it on their sites.

If 3.0 has a good compatibility for modules, all the "Blue Move" modules will work there. So there is no wasted time. And if we want to add new features, we can add them later.

But the users will benefit from the updated modules today.

BTW - many of the user are still using XOOPS versions like the 2.0.7 and 2.0.18. I am sure that once they upgrade to 2.5.0, it will take them a while before they upgrade to 3.0. So there is plenty of time to work on this.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mamba
  • 2010/5/24 15:43

• Mamba

Quote:
AFAIK the guys dont wanna develop things is vain. They want to know does it will be compatibile with 3.0 branch.

DJ stated before that the modules will be compatible.

I don't know about the Admin GUI backend. But the way I see it, code is not everything. What's more important is the learning about the "user experience". I can recode stuff that I know the users like, and while I do it, I can refactor a thing or two. So having 2.5.0 is a great experience for us to see what features our users like, and which ones they don't.

And most important, we can have a positive impact on our users TODAY.

Let's face it - when a new user comes today to XOOPS and tries it - what will be more important: a cool release that he can use today, or the information about API of some future version?

If you're developing today for Windows, are you going to stop developing for your customers unless Microsoft provides you with API for Midori and guarantees that your current code will work without modifications?

Most probably you'll keep working as hard as you can, trying to make sure that you keep your current users happy, and win new ones.

It's my understanding that the same as with Midori, XOOPS 3.0 will have a different architecture, and the same as Midori, it is still in "experimental stage", i.e. the architecture and the API are still changing. So it's hard to have it today!

I had a good email discussion with Ghia over the last couple of days. One quote from him that I like:

Quote:
Our goal is to have more users of the CMS XOOPS. That's more downloads, more sites build with XOOPS. In ideal circumstances, these users set their system up with a flawless install and they don't need to ask further questions. Just download, upload, install and run.

And we can achieve that it by delivering frequent and solid versions of XOOPS that address users needs! And I am looking forward to 2.5.0 for that

Quote:
Also we all want to know about roadmap and new features soon, and then to decide does Xoops have the bright future or just 0.5 version to version steady life.

Roadmaps are good and useful, but not deal breakers. What's more important is a XOOPS version that

- installs/upgrades w/o any problems,
- has modules that work on the latest version,
- has good documentation,
- has friendly community, and
- bugs are being fixed in timely manner.

We cannot constantly chase after the latest features and develop for the latest API, otherwise we will only serve the 2-14% of the market, i.e. Innovators and Early Adopters:

Resized Image

We need to ensure that XOOPS also addresses the needs of the mainstream market. So if you look from that perspective, what is more important for XOOPS today? Having a 2.5.0 released TODAY, or having the API published for some future version, that will be changed anyway because it is still being developed?

But we'll have the XOOPS Roadmap as soon as DJ gets out of the experimental stage of 3.0.

In the meantime, let's focus on following:

- finalize XOOPS 2.4.5
- release XOOPS 2.5.0
- update as many module as possible to "Blue Move"
- update documentation

How many people tested 2.5.0? How many provided code samples to the developers? How many tested their modules on 2.5.0? And wrote documentation for it?

Let's make 2.5.0 the best release ever - with cool features, with bunch of tested modules and good documentation.

Quote:
Long live Xoops.

Absolutely!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

bjuti
  • 2010/5/24 15:49

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

I understand. I'm not a programmer, but is it possible somekind of bridge for 2.3+ compatibility in X3? That would be the best solution.

Then the most of old modules will work, and developer could make X3 versions without time gap. None is willing to wait till X3 version of the module come.

The main goal of Xoops is to keep existing users and new ones to come, so keep it in mind.

This is almost second decade of 21st century. No one remembers what was on the market only one year ago. Look at this: Xoops is older than Youtube, Twitter, Facebook etc?!

So we need a right direction and a clear plan. Then the users and developers will know that some things are certain.

I'm with Xoops since 2004m but I didn't register at the forum till 2008. So, there is a bunch of people like me that beleive in Xoops, and want to know for what's it worth.

There are other CMS solutions on the market, but I like Xoops. I don't wanna to convert and migrate it to other portals.

I met online Catzwolf and Trabis. They are very nice guys and I belive what they want to say.

But well.. I'm a just an user.

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/24 16:11

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Fyi, I would like to point out, this has nothing to do with which rank I am and having a dummy spitting contest. Truth be told, I never asked to be made a Xoops Core Developer, I was asked if I would come back to Xoops and continue on my work that is started with Zarilia/Xoosla and I said yes, why? Because I thought I could make a difference.

So, what is the definition of a fool? Someone who does the same thing over and over expecting different results, and right now, the way Xoops is managed, and the way it is perceived to the rest of the world, Xoops must be showing its true colours again. What a shame.

How many times must we go do the same thing, before it actually sinks in how bad things are? The ranks, what the real underling problems are and we keep doing the same things over and over and look where we are, back to the root of square one again.

Let’s look at the problems and see why we are no further forward than we were 6 years ago and then you Xoopsers decide what really matters and if it is just the sake of a few stupid ranks.

When this project first started there was Ono in sole leader developer, with a few people helping him out and that was fine while the project was in its infancy, but the project had grown, it was apparent that more developers were required to help out. At the time I suggested Skalpa to Ono, and I believed that these two developers could work together and this could only benefit Xoops. This was not the case and it wasn't long before Ono was forced to leave and Skalpa then assumed lead developer role. XOOPS Cube was born.

Let’s look at parallel development, and why it doesn't work for projects such as Xoops and in Open source and this case in general, it should still be fresh in every Xoops user’s memory.

We have done the exact same thing before, and it cost this project many years of development downtime, compatibility problems and split development resources. I advised against doing this back then, and I advice you against doing the exact same thing again. It DOESN'T work and it will come back to haunt us again in the future.

Xoops 2.18 and 2.2 were a disaster for Xoops, it caused so many problems and it did for a long time. When people did ask for a merger, these where largely ignored because version 3 was just around the corner. We all know how that worked out. Don't get me wrong, a lot of Miths work was incredible and if He and Skalpa worked had together on version 3, then maybe things would have been different today.

Again, so many broken promises, so many fundamental working practises gone ignored and the Xoops Community suffered in the due process and not a single element was learnt from this and used as a measure of prevention.

Xoops Version 3 was promised to the Xoops community in 2003, and they waited another 3 years before it came apparent that Skalpa couldn't finish what he started, either due to ill health, work commitments, moving how, no internet connection or lack of general time and then left us with just a mere starting point he called Xoops Sphere.

As for Xoops 2.18 and Xoops 2.2, It took approximately three years to get those two versions back into one build and so much time wasted doing so in the process and this could have been easily avoided if the proper precautions were taking in the first place.

Did we learn from that lesson, in all honesty no we didn’t. Not just once, but twice and by the same people who are currently running the project and that is staggering.

DJ assumed the leader developer role from Skalpa, did anything change? Unfortunately, no it didn’t and in fact, amazingly, DJ promptly continued in the same vain as his predecessor. He declared he would work on Version 3, while working on the 2.18 and 2.2 builds and against the concerns of the Xoops module developers and community. When a lot of the prominent Xoops module developers, theme designers offered to help and give their services, this was largely ignored or plain told their help wasn't needed. This came to a head and the result was ????? (Am I still allowed to mention this CMS here) and yet again, another fork of Xoops.

(Edit: Apparently the word I m p r e s s C M S is still censored from Xoops, how childish)

Why did this happen? Through failure to understand the needs of the Xoops Development Community, the ability to open and sustain diplomatic dialog, and the ability see issues before they happen and deal with them accordingly. If this had happened, then maybe there would not have been a split in the first place. Instead, we saw the biggest stain on the Xoops history ever. Oh yeah, what was your way of dealing with people unhappiness, unease at the way Xoops was being run and the general lack of co-operation from the core? Yup, you created the Xoops council, you then went about censoring them, deleting and altering their posts and then finally banned them, then like lord of the land you stated than from this day forward, anyone associated or mentioning them shall be excommunicated from Xoops. Very professional indeed.

Two years later, and still the promises of Xoops version 3, and yet still no sign of this Holy Grail or anything else for that matter. So now we have the same old reasons, through work commitments, job losses, and changes of addresses, family life and many other private personal problems that DJ is going through in his life, means Xoops version 3 is put on the back burner and still the community are still waiting.

The only major achievement is the mergers of 2.18 and 2.2 and this would be known as version 2.30. So you see, in 5 to 6 years we have managed the sum of screwing this up badly to fixing them and still no version 3 and about to do the same sum of screwing things up again.

So last year, you announce to the Xoops community that three major forks would be rejoining Xoops and that most of the prominent features would be merged into Xoops in the future and we are led to believe that Eduardo, Alfred and I would actually be working alongside DJ for the future of Xoops. Nope, that wasn't the case.

Eduardo, did the theme (only because he entered it into the theme competition and won) and was then asked to redo the whole Xoops website and if you remember a conversion we had on this subject, I suggested that maybe you could ask Eduardo to redo the Xoops theme, and you said no, 6 months later and he does it anyway. What a waste of time.

I think Alfred started integrating some of his features and stopped for some reason and maybe went back to Simple Xoops or is developing CBS forum, but all I know is he isn’t working on Xoops either.

I started the blue move, was working on the new repository module, was asked to kick start the dev.xoops org site and was to lead the 2.3 branch. I took on all these roles against advisement, from my family and friends and my health gave way. Also, regarding the dev.xoops.org site. You asked me to look at the coding for the Xoopsforge modules and my advice to you was that they were not safe to use, and could potentially be a securing threat and the coding was so out of date that it wasn’t worth fixing. You choose to ignore my advice and basically ordered me to use it.

During this period, where none of us three were asked to participate in the actual development of Xoops Version 3, and when I quizzed DJ regarding this matter, it became very clear that he was not being forthright about what he was doing or what he was going to do. I asked him if it were possible to see version 3 and his first answer 'No it wasn't ready'. I also asked why Xoops version 3 was not being developed openly and the branch was in CVS or SVN, I never got an answer.

It was only because I pushed them both regarding this matter, the truth was told. His vision of Xoops version 3 was just a modified version of Skapla's Xoops sphere and nothing more. Totally shocking to say the least and totally not what I had expected from him and should have been the starting point for a new direction in the development of Xoops version 3.

This to me should have been the ideal opportunity for all the Xoops developers to actually get together, work out what was wrong with Xoops, look at the requests from the Xoops community (Not for the first time) and create a working roadmap and work together on creating Version 3 through team work.

Did this happen, No it did not! Instead, DJ crawled back into the dark corners of Xoops to create the Holy Grail and work on the development alone and all I got from you Mamba in private discussion was that our Developer Ego's where getting in the way and that we should put them aside and work together. How could we even try to work as a team when the lead developer refuses to acknowledge we are even there?

How so out of touch you are, you were the one that asked us to come back to Xoops, you were the one that made the promises to us and never kept them. It wasn't our job to try and keep the core development going, create teams and a host of other things. The real underlying fact is this; this responsibility lies at the feet of DJ and Mamba and their failings to understand what is required.

The Qualities of a Good Team Leader:
1. Trust & Respect,
2. Ability To Inspire,
3. Confidence & Reassurance,
4. Identifying & Communicating Goals,
5. Knowing Your Team Members Inside Out,
6. Consistency,
7. Accept Criticism & Encourage Ideas & Input

So far, we have been shown little of this and it is dishearten to all of us developers who just want to ‘muck in, help and be a part of a working team’

So what is happening here right now? Not a lot. We have 4 different versions of Xoops being developed *YES 4* who are we Microsoft?? Come on how many different versions do we need to be working on? We now have 2.44. 2.50. 2.60 And 3.0. Are any of these coordinated from the same roadmap? No, each branch is developed from different people, with their own agenda and development thought. And, what is more worrying, we all have had no assurances that the work would be merged into version 3 or if anything from them will be used. (I was told from DJ himself that this wouldn’t happen, his reasoning was that most of these features were already part of version 3, nice for motivation huh)

Now really, answer this question? Is the Xoops Council oblivious to what is going on around them that they cannot understand why none of developers want to work on Xoops? Why we keep stating we want to work as a team and have many ideas to contribute to Xoops? Trabis, Eduardo, Alfred, FurMuss, Kris, Myself and load more developers or is it going to have to come down to what happened 3 years ago and another big split in Xoops? Because, this is a possibility.

Ask yourself this, whose ego is getting in the way of Xoops development and actually hindering the development process. I think you maybe need to be pointing the finger elsewhere.

Oh as for your list of achievements, am I the only one that finds that list rather sad? From what I have seen, all the biggest changes and achievements over the last three years have come from out-with the core development and from mostly individuals. (With the exception of the work that Trabis and Wishcraft have done and trying to keep the momentum going)

Really, just look at Joomla and see what can happen through team work, they have managed to start Joomla, the re-factor the code from scratch and are now in the process of another big update.

Shame you brought most of the big developers and didn't use them, that surely should be laid at your feet not ours.

As to regards of being professional, maybe you Mamba should actually look at that and understand what that means. You talk of being professional, polite and adhering to the Xoops etiquette. Yet, if you were as professional in your work as you would suggest to others, then this thread would never have raised its head or even been from the first post to continue and the discussion taken to a more private part of Xoops. Or, was it merely left in place to score brownie points just in the same way that you decided to sue Herko?

Ironically, that didn’t half back fire and who will be left picking up the court fees on that one? And again, if it is not about scoring brownie points, why it that damn stupid petition still left up?

And again as I asked you in private message, please remove the Xoops developer from my rank status and deal with this situation properly and professionally with all us developers and talk to us with the proper communication and dialog in a professional and proper manner and not like a two bit cowboy operation.

Sorry for the long post on this matter

John

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/24 16:21

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

The problem Mamba, is that you haven't listened to one word from anyone, you don't listen and you certainly do not read. Rather than dealing with the issue square on, you would rather just hope that it goes away and everything will be good again.

To have all these things you talk about, you need two underlying things, 'Leadership and Teamwork' and you can gloss things over with your nice talk and pretty diagrams, but that doesn't actually solve the real problem here. Same mistakes over and over.

Mamba
  • 2010/5/24 16:45

• Mamba

Quote:
And again as I asked you in private message, please remove the Xoops developer from my rank status

Done.

First you get furious because it has been changed to "Module Developer", so I changed it back to what you wanted, and now you don't want it anymore?

John, why this drama?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/24 16:54

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

You seriously do not understand? That is scary.

But re: private message conversation, I will take your recommendations and go back to working on Xoosla. It is apparent that neither you or DJ are going to change and lay the proper foundations for a working Xoops and stable development path.

Edit:

As for being furious, again trying to put words into something that wasn't there. I was not furious, I was saddened and dismayed at the way you dealt with this and you could have given us the common curtsey of talking to about this, you had my email, MSN or even in private message. Instead you choose neither of these options and then you switch us back again thinking everything will just be aright and nothing has changed. *shakes head*

ATB

John

nmshah
  • 2010/5/24 17:31

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Quote:
First you get furious because it has been changed to "Module Developer", so I changed it back to what you wanted, and now you don't want it anymore?

John, why this drama?

The above post actually makes me laugh and cry at the same time, if that is possible.

Mamba I think you are still not able to understand the problem which is the worst part of it. The problem is as I understand

1. not the change of rank but the lack of communication before the change.
2. Look at all the posts in this particular thread. The no. of posts by major contributors to xoops like Catzwolf, trabis, kraven, witchcraft to name a few among others..... none of them are happy with the way xoops is being developed. Shouldn't this tell you something. Stop looking at one post at a time and look at the entire topic and all posts, this may help you understand what is happening here.

Believe me as an end user who is looking at this post my observation is that if all the other developers were asked to work together, we will have a major release soon which may actually be better then xoops 3.0

Mamba you are very good with words and explanation but just read the topic once from the first post till the last and then let us know what does the majority of the developers feel based on all the posts in this topic. Except for you and DJ no one is in favor of the way xoops development is taking place. If XOOPS IS POWERED BY THE COMMUNITY then the overwhelming majority of those who have posted in this topic feel the current process is wrong. Now dont you think the community opinion matters. If yes take the opinion and change the way things work. May be we need a new lead developer for xoops.

Just my thought but again I am just a user.

nmshah
  • 2010/5/24 17:35

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Quote:
I will take your recommendations and go back to working on Xoosla.

A request catzwolf do not leave now. May be we will see the change soon.

Login

Who's Online

242 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 242

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits