Herko
shine: we need your help in this!
  • 2006/8/18 18:25

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

*bump* Shine, could you please be of help, we could really use your help in this! Also see this thread about the same subject.

Thanks,

Herko

attock
Re: shine: we need your help in this!
  • 2006/8/20 5:52

• attock

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/8/20

Any progress ? I bought this script and when I googled for editing and stuff, I came to know abt xoops.

They are also selling modules athttp://www.phpmyspacegold.com/, its like 50 bucks for 3 months subscription.

Shine
  • 2006/8/20 7:08

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Hadn't seen your question within this topic. (hollidays and this thread wasn't on the mainpage anymore. Thanks for bumping it up).
I'll send you the correspondence. As for the files..... I've to look them up. Unfortunately mij HD crashed and hadn't make a recent backup. Somewhere I've got the links tot download the specific files. As soon has I have them these will also be send to you.

As already stated earlier after a quick look:
The corefiles don't make use of templates. Because of this I think the version is an old one.
Xoops, E-Xoops it doesn't matter, because all the licenses have been removed which is from my point of view a violation.

[Dutch] Herko even geduld, ik zoek een en ander op en stuur het geheel je toe. Kan deze thread even vastgezet worden dan raak ik hem niet steeds kwijt. Hij lijkt me belangrijk genoeg hiervoor[/dutch]

Grtz., Shine

@ Attock: Can you please send the whole script to me so I can take a brief look at them? Thanks in advance.
shine2[@]chelloDOTnl

Herko
  • 2006/8/20 7:37

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Thanks Shine! We have the script evidence, so we don't need that anymore. We do however need as much information about their operation as we can get: who are they, what license terms do they distribute their software with, and any e-mails you have from them (especially those about confronting them with the fact the it is based on XOOPS!) are important to build a good case.

Herko

attock
  • 2006/8/31 18:38

• attock

• Not too shy to talk

I mailed customer care of phpmyspace. Following is the qoute from the mail I sent.

"Hi,

Just wanted to know if I can use XOOPS modules with phpmygold.

Regards,"

To which I got the reply:

"No. None of the modules or themes will work (not from any version) as this is not xoops."

I have sent them yet another mail, will inform you guys abt that aswell.

Do leme know if you need these email to be forwarded to you.

Regards~

attock
  • 2006/8/31 22:34

• attock

• Not too shy to talk

I tried to confront them and this is what they mailed me

"You should not believe everything that you read.

Some idiot from XOOPS started the post and now there are people that are believing it.

So, try this:

try to install any module or theme from XOOPS (any version) or better yet just install XOOPS and see if it will do what our software will do."

Aussie
  • 2006/9/19 3:01

• Aussie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/19

Hey guys, I have a copy of the whole thing, & it has XOOPS written all through the code,contact me if you need help.

Northern
  • 2006/9/19 3:21

• Northern

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/12/26

found somthing funny on this,
I registered, and looked through there site.

as i was looking i found a link to see a demo site from them.

the link was found HERE

the link takes you HERE

funny thing, place your curser over FAQ
what do you see?

http://thedemoserver.com/4000/modules/xoopsfaq/

WOW if that dont say xoopsfaq

Herko
  • 2006/9/19 6:49

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Aussie, attock, could you e-mail me everything you have from your correspondence with these people? And if you have the software, do you have a copy of the terms of use somewhere? We need this to build our case against these people.

Herko

rlparker
Re: shine: we need your help in this! - Another "Victim"
  • 2006/10/29 10:31

• rlparker

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/29

Herko and All,

Well, it looks like another poor soul got involved with these people. His situation surfaced today on the Discussion Forum at Dreamhost.com (http://discussion.dreamhost.com).

It's really pretty sad. The thread where all this came to light can be found at this (click here) url, if anyone is interested in following up or joining that conversation. I have pointed that user to this (and related) threads, encouraged him to investigate further, and urged him to contact Herko. As has been previously reported in various places on the web, he can't get the program - PHPMySpace Gold - properly installed (he even gave a "tech" from whoever he bought it from ftp access to his site, and even that guy could not install it).

I only post here in the event anyone here would feel inclined to let him know that he is not alone, and possibly encourage him to share his experiences with Herko, as Herko has requested.

This whole situation is so wrong, on so many levels...

Edited to update: Upon further communication with this user, he reports that the code he received *does* have "disclaimers" within the code crediting authors, though he did not specifically represent that copyright statements have been included. He further states the program was represented to him as being "mostly Open Source", with additonal things added by those he purchased the script from. He said that he was told he could give the code, except for the text and graphics added by the people he bought it from, to other or use it as he saw fit.

It kinda looks like Herko already at least got some copyright notices restored, or other clarifying text added.

If at all possible, I would appreciate an update from someone who knows what the status of this situation is; I don't want to "beat a dead horse" or prolong discussion of this situation if it has been resolved to the XOOPS folks' satisfaction. rlp-29 OCT 2006

Regards,
rlparker

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits