carnuke
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/8 20:59

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I have just recently given Drupal a spin. General comment is 'very nice fast CMS, but limited in applications. In fact the whole Drupal experience is easy and redreshing until you stumble on their Taxonomy system. Quite honestly I think Drupal have got their panties in a twist on this feature. Its really a sophisticated relational categories system, but rather than call it that, they dreamed up a fancy name with fancy jargon that sends all their new users and some old hands into a spin. Shame because the CMS is otherwise good and well written.

Personly, I would say there is no 'BEST' CMS. There is only a collective choice for users to target the needs they require and use that system. My choice is still firmly for xoops.

Knowledge and experience in what you know is better than alien features you can't understand or use!
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

m0nty
  • 2005/12/8 21:02

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

sorry silvrhand, i wasn't havin a dig..

in fact really u could kinda blame me for some of the lack of news. As i haven't had much time to do any of the news or WOX at all, and things keep cropping up.

i guess it's a wake up call, and i'll get my head together with david and get some latest news from skalpa and the devs etc regarding what's going on and then get a new WOX out.

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/8 21:26

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just saying that there seems to be a perception of not much going on, and fixing that should be easy if there is exciting stuff coming down.

I'll be looking forward to the news!

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
sorry silvrhand, i wasn't havin a dig..

in fact really u could kinda blame me for some of the lack of news. As i haven't had much time to do any of the news or WOX at all, and things keep cropping up.

i guess it's a wake up call, and i'll get my head together with david and get some latest news from skalpa and the devs etc regarding what's going on and then get a new WOX out.

Marco
  • 2005/12/8 21:56

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

but yet when you look at the XOOPS CVS tree, you see nothing has changed in 4 weeks.

considering you are looking at the right place.
but is the right one ?

marco
Do synergy or die.

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/8 22:01

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

I'm following the link off the front page that has "CVS Information" all over it :)

Perhaps the link on the front page is wrong?

Quote:

Marco wrote:
Quote:

but yet when you look at the XOOPS CVS tree, you see nothing has changed in 4 weeks.

considering you are looking at the right place.
but is the right one ?

marco

Marco
  • 2005/12/8 22:03

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

no, not exactly
please wait a little bit, skalpa should post a news.
marco
Do synergy or die.

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/8 22:07

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

Heheh argh wait... Patience is a virtue right :)

Quote:

Marco wrote:
no, not exactly
please wait a little bit, skalpa should post a news.
marco

davidl2
  • 2005/12/8 22:16

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

silvrhand wrote:
Heheh argh wait... Patience is a virtue right :)

Indeedy

Jaypee
  • 2005/12/9 0:38

• Jaypee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

LazyBadger wrote:
Quote:

Jaypee wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something

You miss all, you can't even imagine, that is OpenSource Developments and that is Cooperation (real, not this ugly form show last times on xoops.org) - "Everybody have voice". And cticits is more important than infinitive useless "Thank you... thank you..." XOOPS Mithrandir is in the state of the stagnation, even Scalpa confirm what X2.2 is the branch of evolution without the future.
Devs forgot about own creature and play in another games, Team is Big Myth... XOOPS Mithrandir die now, long live real XOOPS from onokazu

Actually, you seem to represent the first half of your name...lazy. People who sit back and criticize, yet do nothing themselves, are useless. Simply put, they are either too lazy, afraid or incompetent to do things for themselves (much less others) and, when challenged, try to move the focus from themselves.

So, is this you?

If not, will you show us the progress of the CMS you're developing? Or, if that's too hard, show us the code you've created to address the shortcomings in XOOPS that you seem to think abound.

Otherwise, we of the "infinite thank-you's" are proven more useful than your ilk because we at least acknowledge the efforts of others and encourage them to continue.

alitan
  • 2005/12/9 2:35

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

Hi,
can XOOPS compete with joomla? well, maybe six months ago that this Project was called once Mambo, but today, I don't think so. Why?
First of all, I should say we are not organized at all. Look to the home page of Xoops.org, how often this news section get updated? how often we spend our time to contribute to Xoops? Well, I think, you know the answer: We do not contribute to Xoops.org as the way other people at Joomla Project do. I really do not want to offend people here, but there are possibly only 10 to 15 people here who are really active, and other 36816-36800 members are those who are not really involved in the project, whereas in Joomla.org, although this Project is only two-three months old, I see more activity being done there.

Why is this Happening?

I tell you why? Because we (Not sure about others by certainly me) are getting bored of Xoops. In additon, it's been a year and half that we are expecting to see a re-designed theme at this website, but the webmasters are still postponing this Project at Xoops.org. Come one guys, if designing a professional theme for XOOPS is that much difficult for the creators of the Extensible Object Oriented Portal System Project, then how are you expecting the newbie people to use this Project? This is the OFFICIAL XOOPS WEBSITE, Yet, here the webmasters have not decided to create a theme for this website and the Irony is that Xoops.org is the *Official* website of a server-side web page generating application, that should allow the user to create beautiful webpages easily, not to create ugly web content only. Further more, instead of just coding for the administration area of a webpage, we need to pay attention to the user side of the website as well, and that is related to graphics, themes and other layout relating material. Just look at Joomla.org, everyday a professional writer wrties the news about the community, the development and the new websites, whereas at Xoops.org the News section is barely updated(maybe once a week at most). At Joomla.org, every time a member joins the development team, a news article is written for him/her explaining his/her experiences, how she/he can contribute to the community and his/her personal info including a picture. At Xoops.org, however, if we ever hear of someone joining the community, we do not get know anything about that person, and only the user ID might be included. These kinds of meterials help the Joomla community grow faster and become more active and that's what makes them get ahead of us.

How to solve this issue?
Well, the first step we can take to solve issue is to creat a news team. As I know now, there are only a few people involved in this area and we need more users to write about the new activities being done at dev.xoops.org, Xoops.org and XOOPS local support websites.
Thus, the WOX team should be expanded to atleast 15-20 people who are really involved and active.
Second step and probably I should have named it the first step since it is the most important part of the project, is the Xoops.org redesignment. We need to atleast redesign Xoops.org every once to motivate the users to be active at this website and to show them how great is Xoops. To do this, we need to create a XOOPS Theme Design Team (Which I almost created few months ago , but since no one joined I canceled it). This team will be responsible for Xoops.org themes and logos for specific events or periods of the year. To illustrate, for a big event such as Christmas, a new logo specially designed for Christmas should be created with a new Theme coming with it. Or for New year, Easter, Aids day, July 2nd(Canada Day), July 4th(USA Day),Holloween or any other special event, a newly edited logo with a theme should be created just like what Google.com does for such events.
The next step is our XOOPS Campaign ,(which started a few weeks ago, but it seems it's cancelled now). In this campaign we need to put alot of effort. Such that, we showl creat banners, wallpapers, psp-Wallpapers, screen savers, theme,firfox themes and etc.
Our last and one of the most improtant step, is to release more updates to XOOPS core. As all of us know, XOOPS 2.2 was to be released last year, but after a year it is released now. An even now, there are many people who complain about it. So we need to do more testing, more coding and adding more features to XOOPS core system. Again, this can be done by promoting Xoops, and by creating an organized community.
Hopefully, we can achieve such goals, otherwise The XOOPS Project will eventually die.
So, Wake up guys, Roll the Wheel, and lets get this project going on the right track NOW!
Thanks in advance for reading this,
Alitan{{<<>>}}
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits