Re: Subscription Service Comming
  • 2005/5/21 2:58

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
Brash to answer your feature requests:
1) There will be multiple subscriptions available. You can have free subscription plus subscription 1 at $x and subscription 2 at $x. However, if i think what you are thinking then you want a type of donations subscription service. I dont think that is quite the idea that i was going for but i will see how difficult it would be to introduce that into this project.

The setup you propose here sounds fine for one generic subscription to an entire site, but what I am wanting is to be able to do is setup subscriptions to sub sections (modules) of a site. To do this I will need to have unlimited admin definable subscription levels (similar to the audience levels in AMS) that can be assigned to specific XOOPS groups.

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
2) Subscription expiration will be part of this project. I.e. When you choose your subscription, you will pay for 1month, 3months, 6months.... After this time period you will be sent a reminder to renew your account otherwise the account gets downgraded to 'free status' or deleted.

Sounds good . Might be worth considering have a definable units of time, e.g days, weeks, months, etc so as to give webmasters maximum flexibility for their own needs. That way the webmaster can set X amount of X units of time.

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
3) Think you missed this one out in your post

Yeah, I decided to delete one of my requests at the last minute, but forgot to update the numbering . I was going request a function where a user can purchase a downloadable item, and as soon as the payment is cleared they are sent a secure download link that is valid for a limited time. I think this falls more under the banner of an online shop than a subscriptions module though.

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
4)I am trying hard to get the payment gateways to be plug-in and hopefully they will be. It is apparently more tricky that way but i will persivere.

Let us know how you get on. I'd be thinking it is more important to get the infrastructure setup here rather than the plug-ins themselves, as people can always add them as they need them.

Quote:

cuckston wrote:
5)You will be able to see all the users in your admin panel aswell as what package they are on, how long for and when their account expires.

We'll be needing pretty flexible and detailed reporting here, as it will basically become the lifeblood of the site I have in mind. Might also be useful to be able to export everything to a CSV or tab delimited file for importation into spreadsheets for further analysis.

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/23 7:14

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Any update on this script? At scriptlance Smartalien bid $90 and less then a day to complete this.

http://www.scriptlance.com/projects/1116191784.shtml

Did smartalien get the final bid on your script?

I am very interested in this script as well. I would love it to be incorporated into xoops, even if its a core hack. Which at this point I think may be the easiest way.

Kevin

cuckston
  • 2005/5/23 10:00

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

I was looking around on scriptlance however they were not able to do it. I had many problems with the people there. I.e., false hopes that they could do it for $90 where in the end it was more like $900 and it would take a lot longer.

Plus, the project description has got a bit more descriptive seeing that more and more people are wanting this project.

However, i am happy to report that the project is on track and will be ready soon hopefully. About a week or 2 max. Once it's completed, all that needs to be done is some beta testing to find all the bugs and then we can release it.

Hope this helps!

wtravel

Probably it was more like his hourly rate afterall

cuckston
  • 2005/5/23 10:30

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

Most likly does. Unfortunatly, a lot of them have automatic responses and put a stupidly low bid just so you pick them. Then once you do you get the shock of how much it actually will cost and how long it will take.

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/23 19:32

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Bummer, after seeing the price I was about to post a request for a programmer.

I guess integrating paypal, other payment gateways is alot more complex then I thought.

Hell, I have even begun to learn PHP, so that I can code it myself, but that will take me forever, since my background is medical.

Keep us posted and I will gladly pay you $60-80 for a copy of the script!

I know its not the XOOPS way but I don't trust donations, I want to see the program before I pony up any money. Just my way.

cuckston
  • 2005/5/23 20:21

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

Hi EMSguy. If you would like info about beta testing the product then please PMB me.

BTW, the MC Subscriptions site is currently down as i'm having a few problems!

pod
  • 2005/5/28 1:08

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

What's the status of this project, I wonder...

davidl2
  • 2005/5/28 7:51

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Yes, I'm also still quite interested in this.

tvepsorg
  • 2005/5/28 7:54

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Quote:

brash wrote:
Quote:

cuckston wrote:
I will have to think about how i could go about this as i want to make a contribution to xoops, but this is costing me a lot of money so it only seems fair if i try and get some of it back.

Again with donations, people will say now that they will donate but when the time comes, u see nothing. I will have to wait and see i supose.

I am one of very few people here who can speak from experience on this cuckston. I had very similar plans with AMS, and I can honestly say that if I had the choice of doing it all again I wouldn't bother and I simply would keep AMS a private module. The grief, personal attacks and hassle simply is not worth it.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but just be very clear with how you are going to proceed before you do. You might have an advantage in that the module you're looking at contributing is directly tied to making money, and people might be more willing to make donations toward that. I can tell you that with AMS the last time I caculated the downloads Vs donations ratio, it was sitting at about 0.2%. At that rate it takes a LONG time to recoup costs.

Bottom line is that as soon as even one copy of your module is out in the open, there is nothing you can do to stop it, and virtually any chance of you recouping any of your development costs are out the window. This means that you can either rely on peoples generosity (and there are generous people out there, don't get me wrong), or you can stall the release of your module until you've recovered enough money to warrant releasing the module without buring a hole in your pocket. My advice to you is think long and hard before making a decision.

There are two things at hand here that you people have to consider...

If your making a module for the simple reason of sharing it with the community, then that's great, but don't "expect" people to donate or feel that you "should" be "entitled" to get paid to recover your costs. Making modules for an open source community is not a smart "business" move.

So I feel that there are 2 situations that you should release a module to the community.

1. You have the means and don't mind eating the cost for development.

2. You are going to spend the money on development for your own business anyways, why not contribute to the community that has helped you out at the same time.

Of course that's just my 2 cents.

Login

Who's Online

155 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 155

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits