PrezKennedy
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?

Quote:

OldFriend wrote:
Quote:
To be honest your site looks very old fashion,you may compare:
http://joomlatips.com/

What a crap site layout. Why do people build sites that are WIDTH=800 pixels wide. If you do, have a look at how terrible it looks on a screen that is 1280 pixels or more wide. For goodness sake use WIDTH=100%

Actually it's better to go with WIDTH=99.9% or 99%, otherwise people using Firefox end up with an ugly horizontal scrollbar no matter how large they make the width of their browser.

Just this morning I added some gradients to the sides. Not sure on my final take, but it took me only five minutes to do.

Of course, OldFriend is also comparing a community site to someone's personal website that they do in their free time. But still, I've done wonders with the original XOOPS theme... IMO anyways.

Shine
  • 2005/12/8 16:37

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

So, Joomla is moreover a block playground CMS ?!
I am not a real block use all-over lover and really hope XOOPS isn't going to concentrate on that part of the core.
I think a robust, secure core, with some good developed modules makes a CMS to what it is. After all, isn't the meaning of a CMS to make it the admins easier for adding lots of content and updating it without to much probs?!
(one small change in the old html website days resulted most of the time in a strugling yourself through 10 page changes)

Every CMS has his own pro's and conts. It is just what you are looking for and what your desires are.
Recently I stumbled into the CMS: Etomite. Its developer says a through word:
Quote:
Why use Etomite?
Why should you choose Etomite over the other systems available? Well, it all depends on what you need a CMS for. Do you need to build a community with forums, user systems and the ability for your visitors to comment on every single piece of content in your site? Then Etomite is not the system you're looking for (unless, of course, you write some fancy snippets or use the snippets in the forums to allow this).

Do you need a fast system, easy to install and use, that centers around content, with an intuitive user interface that lets you define exactly what your site should look like, with a growing yet dedicated community who really want to see Etomite make it big time? Then Etomite is system you need.

Etomite CMS

As soon as the word compete comes in you are gonna compare, which IMHO isn't realistic in this case.
Xoops isn't Joomla, Mambo, Postnuke nor is it the other way around.
Comparing comes in at the moment you are looking around which CMS fits your needs best. You'll end up with 2 or 3 CMS's and then there will be a competition which system is the best for YOUR website and desires.

Grtz., Shine

Jaypee
  • 2005/12/8 17:28

• Jaypee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/26

Perhaps I'm missing something but, if you can find one or two features that are deal-breakers for you then, maybe, you look to another system. It seems relatively simple to me. I drive the type of car I drive, use the type of soap I use, and eat the type of food I eat based on what I prefer. I don't see how bashing someone else's work make your point (more) valid. I would contend that you (or any other person bashing Xoops) actually take a crack at creating your own CMS and come back in 6 months and see if your attitude is the same. Plus, the last time I checked, most people are not paying for the use of this CMS so, in essence, you receive the fruits of others' labor for free.

So, my suggestion would be that, if you want a feature, be willing to put up some cash or sweat-equity to make it happen.

just my $0.02.

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/8 17:45

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

My simple view is this:

XOOPS DEV seems to be moving very slow at this point, it's the reason I asked is XOOPS dead only getting a response of "We've got some great things coming" but yet when you look at the XOOPS CVS tree, you see nothing has changed in 4 weeks.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xoops/xoops2/

But yet you look at the CVS tree for Joomla you get active development.

http://developer.joomla.org/integration/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/?root=joomla&system=exsy1002

Unless there is a difference XOOPS CVS tree somewhere then someone needs to update the XOOPS front page, which is stale as it is.

LazyBadger

Quote:

Jaypee wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something

You miss all, you can't even imagine, that is OpenSource Developments and that is Cooperation (real, not this ugly form show last times on xoops.org) - "Everybody have voice". And cticits is more important than infinitive useless "Thank you... thank you..." XOOPS Mithrandir is in the state of the stagnation, even Scalpa confirm what X2.2 is the branch of evolution without the future.
Devs forgot about own creature and play in another games, Team is Big Myth... XOOPS Mithrandir die now, long live real XOOPS from onokazu
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Mamba
  • 2005/12/8 18:29

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

hi LazyBadger,

it's time to stop with your negative propaganda.

Constructive criticism is important, but propaganda like the one you have just written is useless, and actually destructive.

Please be constructive, i.e. publish your Top 10 list of things that should be addressed in XOOPS. Provide suggestions on HOW they could be resolved. And then republish it every couple of weeks to remind people about it. Start a poll to see if other people agree with you, and to see how the majority would prioritize your list.

But please stop with those personal attacks on Mithrandir and others. This is so low
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

frankblack
  • 2005/12/8 18:32

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

Quote:
XOOPS Mithrandir die now, long live real XOOPS from onokazu

So why are you wasting your time here? Why I am wasting my time commenting your post? Strange...

m0nty
  • 2005/12/8 18:50

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

record stuck again on LB..

@silvrhand:

hmm joomla yeah lots of development, i'm sure they'll have a new version out soon again, where the existing modules/components will not work with it until they are also updated and then they won't work on the previous version if u roll back..

are the devs allowed a break or do u want them shackled to their computers with a ball & chain etc so they can work on something everyday? i'm sure they're working on stuff on their own computers and will commit to CVS when they have something worthwhile commiting to CVS. they are not obliged and there's NOTHING in the rule book that every single idea and change they make on their personal computers HAS to be commited to CVS.. maybe they're busy working with module developers to help make those modules work and become stable as many of you seem to be asking for modules to actually work properly in both versions.. maybe the XOOPS devs are giving those devs a hand aswell. or is that not possible at all?

davidl2
  • 2005/12/8 19:05

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

No, according to certain posters - all XOOPS coders must spend 37.5 hours a day, 20 days a week chained to their development systems - with a team of large busted men whipping them while the work on their code... and another 61.25 days a week working on answering forum posts.

Be realistic people!

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/8 19:44

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

First off I don't know what that other poster is talking about with real XOOPS devel so please don't associate me with him.

What basically started me on this was the big post skalpa put in about 2 months ago:

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2602

I can understand that rl happens, but since that there has been only 4 support forum posts with no followups. None of the excitement that he has talked about.

I'm not blaiming anyone or saying that you should be spending 10 hours a day coding on xoops, I'm just trying to find out the future. I like the XOOPS layout/ease of use, but if it's not actively developed, well then what do we do.

EDIT:

Here skalpa talks about open communication is more beneficial than actions, which I totally agree with but yet here we haven't heard anything since. Surely you guys understand my side of it now?

Quote:
In normal language what does that mean ? That to communicate is more important than to act (in latine, communicare that is to say comm-unicare: how to give the one to the multiple, to the with (to share), or also what allows this with to give birth to the one). That the potential lies in the interfaces, the relations, in the protocols, and that these are the points we will focus on at first.

Login

Who's Online

287 user(s) are online (187 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 287

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits