Anonymous
Re: Is XOOPS used for business applications?
  • 2003/11/23 19:17

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
But does no one know of real-world business (Intranet or Internet) implementations ?

There are 1000s of them but you will not notice them because the Powered by XOOPS has been removed from them.

phatjew
  • 2003/11/25 20:07

• phatjew

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/8

Quote:

vB3Dev wrote:
Quote:
But does no one know of real-world business (Intranet or Internet) implementations ?

There are 1000s of them but you will not notice them because the Powered by XOOPS has been removed from them.

I've noticed that, too. IMHO, it is extremely poor taste to remove the "Powered by XOOPS" from a site. It is insulting to all of the developers who have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours to create something that is so easy and powerful. After all, if it wasn't so good, you wouldn't want to use it to begin with.

Personally, I get a bit angry when I visit links that people post IN THIS FORUM that don't have "Powered by XOOPS" in the footer. I think these people should be reminded who did most of their work for them.

Draven
  • 2003/11/25 21:02

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Try to keep in mind that not everyone has just a personal site. And from a business stand point having the "Powered by" in your site looks unprofessional and it also allows your competitors to know exactly what you used to make your site (Not good). I don't think any of the devs feel insulted by the fact you've removed the "powered by" tag. Most of them understand that not everyone feels comfortable having it there, it's not an insult to the product or it's developers. And that is also why it's not required to be there. The only things that must stay is the license text in the code (Which no one sees but you).

For example, my sitehttp://gaining-mass.com is a business website. It makes money and I have competition. By using XOOPS I'm able to offer other services that my competitors cannot. I don't want to tell them that I'm using XOOPS because then I'll lose my competitive edge against them.

tom
  • 2003/11/25 23:03

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Draven has some valid points and I agree 100%, if all business sites advertise XOOPS we do loose that edge, I've seen it happen.

This topic about copyright issues being displayed for the public has been discussed many times, and Devs have answered too, they really don't mind, as Draven said the php coding credit must remanin intact, and the code must never be distributed as your own.

an example, your competitors have bog standard html shop sites, with little click here to pay buttons and a paypal shopping cart, then you come along with OSC people then come to you as it looks more pro, easier on the eyes, repeat accounts, users view all there accounts on line and many other things, would you want your competitors to then take that edge back???? no didn't think so.

So any way long story short, its ok honest.

builderb
  • 2003/11/26 0:49

• builderb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/8/4 2

I too agree with draven.

The biggest compliment you can give to the devs is to become an active member in this community working to make XOOPS even better.

my 2 cents

-Builderb

intel352
  • 2003/11/26 9:14

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

who's to say that the people that remove the 'powered by' haven't contributed? many developers definitely don't mind the end user removing 'powered by', if they've been reimbursed in some way

if big companies such as Novell use this product, i'd be surprised to find that they don't 'tip' (and if they don't, i'd be a bit aghast, lol, not like they can't afford it)

hervet
  • 2004/1/11 17:06

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

I am using XOOPS for two intranets, sorry, I will not be able to see you some screen shots as those web sites are confidentials. And I will use it with 2 other intranets.

Here is the list of problems I had :

1) Not enough documentation
2) It's not easy to modify the User and General menus, now I know how.
3) The download module is only a "diretory" module. It lacks a download part. Many people used this kind of module to present files availables on their own site
4) You can't give some particular rights to ONE person, you have to usee groups. By the way, is it true that a user can be member of one group only ?
5) You need a robust server or it will be too slow, even with the cache. (I had some surprises with this).
6) You can't use LDAP or a Windows authentification like the one proposed by NT servers. I succed to do it (to use NT authentication) but it was really really hard !
7) You can't share the users database with some other sites. In my case, the two sites have the same users.... What a pity ! I have two databases to maintain.
8) A groupware module is missing, a module to share files, to speak to.... Stop, YES I know ws-project. Test it, try it and you will see.
9) You can't position blocks with precision
10) You can't position a blocks (horizontally) over ALL the others.
11) Two (runing and serious) modules are missing :
a) a syndication module (yes I know xp-syndication)
b) a newsletter module

Despite all those problems, I am using and loving Xoops. I will even soon publish two new modules for it.
It's "just" the problems I had with it.

But the positive points and list is longer than this one !
Be sure of this...

PS : Sorry for my poor english.

Bye,
Hervé

Mithrandir

Good to hear that you like XOOPS

Yep, true. People hard at work at this

2) It's not easy to modify the User and General menus

That is also true. Also people working on this

3) The download module is only a "diretory" module. It lacks a download part

Don't you mean upload part? That's in the RC1 of MyDownloads. It's also not just a directory module - you can link to off-site files, too.

4) You can't give some particular rights to ONE person, you have to usee groups. By the way, is it true that a user can be member of one group only ?

It is NOT true that a user can only be member of one group. You can assign an arbitrary number of groups to one member and gradually add permissions to each group, which combined will give permissions to all areas, the user needs to have.

5) You need a robust server or it will be too slow, even with the cache.

Slow? That hasn't been the usual message from users.

6) You can't use LDAP or a Windows authentification like the one proposed by NT servers. I succed to do it (to use NT authentication) but it was really really hard !

There have been some hacks about LDAP, but I agree, it is not a simple task

7) You can't share the users database with some other sites.

I've heard of people succeeding in sharing databases with other XOOPS sites. Don't know the details, though.

8) A groupware module is missing, a module to share files, to speak to....

No comments to this.

9) You can't position blocks with precision

Precision is a matter of discussion - and theming.

I'd like a general horizontal area above all other blocks but below banners.
Also the center-left, center-right and center-center should have a counterpart in center-left-bottom, center-right-bottom and center-center-bottom to place below main contents.

b) a newsletter module

I don't know syndication... so can't say if that is a seriously missing module (it isn't to me, at least)

Newsletter module - yup... that could be goodie.

hervet
  • 2004/1/12 17:59

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Good to hear that you like XOOPS

I even love it !

Quote:

Yep, true. People hard at work at this

From France we are also working on this subjet. A member of the XOOPS French Forum have began a documentation for modules developpers.

Quote:

2) It's not easy to modify the User and General menus
That is also true. Also people working on this

VERY NICE !

Quote:

3) The download module is only a "diretory" module. It lacks a download part

Don't you mean upload part?

Yes, sorry for the mistake.

Quote:

That's in the RC1 of MyDownloads.

Can it be used somewhere ?

Quote:

It's also not just a directory module - you can link to off-site files, too.

Yes sure but I think that, except the XOOPS sites, "we" use this module to give a reference to "our" programs.

Quote:

It is NOT true that a user can only be member of one group. You can assign an arbitrary number of groups to one member and gradually add permissions to each group, which combined will give permissions to all areas, the user needs to have.

Yes I agree, You can add a user to as many groups as you want but we, some guys from XOOPS France, have made a test. Create a user and assign it to two groups :
The first group CAN login when the site is down
The second group CAN'T login when the site is down

Change your site to "off" and try to log with this user...

Quote:

5) You need a robust server or it will be too slow, even with the cache.

Slow? That hasn't been the usual message from users.

With a computer who's processor is lower or equal than 700 Mhz, I had some problems.

Quote:

There have been some hacks about LDAP, but I agree, it is not a simple task

Will it be in the new versions ?

Quote:

7) You can't share the users database with some other sites.

I've heard of people succeeding in sharing databases with other XOOPS sites.

Me too, but I will love not to hear but to see.

Quote:

I'd like a general horizontal area above all other blocks but below banners.

Me too !

Quote:

b) a newsletter module

I don't know syndication... so can't say if that is a seriously missing module (it isn't to me, at least)

It will be great to have a "general" module wich will be able to pick, for example, last forums posts, last articles etc and publish them to an XML file for RSS.

Quote:

Newsletter module - yup... that could be goodie.

That could be VERY nice...

Thanks again for your answers.

I hope not to have been unpleasant by giving my opinion

Bye,
Hervé

svaha
  • 2004/1/12 20:02

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Quote:
It will be great to have a "general" module wich will be able to pick, for example, last forums posts, last articles etc and publish them to an XML file for RSS.

It's already been made : What about BopComments
You can see it here

Aloha

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits