irmtfan
Re: A suggestion for spamming users
  • 2013/4/14 2:21

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Yes i know it well Cesag.
chefry named our posts off-topic but i want to emphasis that all people include him are interested in different ways.

chefry
  • 2013/4/15 22:53

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

posted by Mamba:
Quote:
But seriously, what do you expect when you post a message here? We are against "hijacking" somebody's threads, when a discussion is getting to another topic. This was not the case here.

When a thread goes away from the original topic to a topic not mentioned, asked for or encouraged by the starter of the thread, it's called "hijacking"

Posted by irmtfan
Quote:
So your suggestion will not be ignored but it will be criticized by me and others.

You did not criticize, you completely changed the topic to YOUR method of dealing with spammers. You didn't not even comment on my simple hack.

My idea may not be the final answer but it's a good, easily implemented partial solution.

If your idea is so great, then why haven't you offered it to the community before now and why isn't it part of the core?

Maybe I should have named the thread "My suggestion for spamming users" and maybe then, it would have been discussed in full, instead of being lost in the clutter of irmtfan's posts.

In the future I'll be more specific in naming my posts.

chefry
  • 2013/4/16 0:28

• chefry

• Home away from home

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
Yes i know it well Cesag.
chefry named our posts off-topic but i want to emphasis that all people include him are interested in different ways.

I only named YOUR posts as off topic :p

irmtfan
  • 2013/4/16 4:42

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Quote:

chefry wrote:
You did not criticize, you completely changed the topic to YOUR method of dealing with spammers. You didn't not even comment on my simple hack.

1- what hack? am i missed something? you show us a way. delete the spammers and add the email to black list.

2- You said you delete SPAMMERS (inactive and active) and I criticized it. see:

Quote:

I just advise about what to do against "bad users (spams)" not inactive or active users. when a webmaster think a user is bad or spam, he should do some actions that will be reversible. because once you delete some accounts there is no way to back if you made mistake.

In the above i said why not delete any user account.

Quote:

but based on my experiences when you delete a bot/user account and ban its email the bot understand it very soon and will register again with another email. (you just will have more trouble)

Again in the above i said why we should not delete SPAMMERS.

so i repeat. you said you delete SPAMMERS account and i criticized it and wrote reasons that showed why you should not delete them.

but adding emails to black list is a different story.
.we should use black lists wisely. enter an exact email is not very good.
many of us have a "banned email" list but normally they are partial emails like this:
mail.net$
and not an exact email address as you described.
So i sum up my opinions about your solution:

1- Deleting a bad user or spam account is very bad way
2- Add an exact email to black list is not very good way.

Quote:

If your idea is so great, then why haven't you offered it to the community before now?

It is not my idea. it is very old attitude against spams.
many people used banned group. 7 years ago, I was just like you and delete SPAMS account. then I learnt the ban user from others in these forums. just search and find:
deactivate users

Can I disable PMS on per user or per group basis??

stop the spammers

And having an Active/Inactive radio element in current profile module was a progress and was a part of it. So finally now we have an option to act against SPAMS.

Quote:

and why isn't it part of the core

Ability to ban a user is a very old wish. right now i find one in source forge feature requests.
http://sourceforge.net/p/xoops/feature-requests/223/
you can find many others.
Even we should be able to ban bad users in a specific period of time.
It will be in core sooner or later because it is very needed.
AFAIK there is a plan for new profile system(module) to add these groups to XOOPS Official groups.

1- spam group
set no permission in all website modules/pages
2- bot group
for robots and crawlers

Of course In my idea it is better to have some functionality rather than adding more hard-code groups.
I mean we should be able to define a group for spams and define another for robots.

But we dont have many programmers in XOOPS CORE. Actually Xoops Core is you and me. If we work together we can add our wishes to the next core.

irmtfan
  • 2013/4/16 8:09

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

You should always find and follow the better solutions for your problems regardless of whether you like the solution or not. Even if you hate the person providing the solution.

I repeat:
This is a public forum. When you offer a solution, everybody can read and may follow it. So somebody like me will assess them and show the flaws. (That's why I can't keep my mouth shut)
If anybody show me a better solution I will support it even if I hate him.

Mamba
  • 2013/4/16 13:15

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

OK, putting my "Moderator hat" on:

Chefry, your recent posts have been disrespectful, and have been deleted!

Please review our XOOPS Etiquette
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

chefry
  • 2013/4/16 13:37

• chefry

• Home away from home

sent you a pm, Mamba

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits