smart2
Re: [bad boy] Excuse me
  • 2007/6/8 22:02

• smart2

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/1/19

Quote:
If Hervé wants to help this project move forward, he is quite welcome to.

I think he's really one of the few people who have tried the most to keep XOOPS moving, also during the last few messy months.

The point is not to know if he wants to contribute, he has proved he does, not just talking but coding.

Understand me, I trust him because I know what he has given to the community and how he tried to make things move. I'm not close friend with him, but the few I've talked with him thru forums or email, shown me that its an honest man with great open source mind.

That in mind, I trust him when he says marcan tells him to quit backstage.

So I reapeat myself again, please express yourself honestly in public or it won't take more than 2 weeks for XOOPS to sink again.

Anonymous
  • 2007/6/8 22:17

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
smart2 wrote:

So I reapeat myself again, please express yourself honestly in public or it won't take more than 2 weeks for XOOPS to sink again.

There's a lot of truth in this.

There will always be disagreements in any community but the secret is not to make them personal.

Please remember, too, that language/tranlation differences might make some posts seem more provocative than the writer intended. Please bear this in mind.

I don't know Hervé and haven't conversed with him; all I do know is that XOOPS is in danger of losing a significant talent (if we haven't already). I do, however, feel that his heart is with xoops.

MadFish
  • 2007/6/9 4:42

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
Today I received many emails from some people, who still don't dare to talk (ask yourself some questions ...) and who were asking me the same question I was asking to myself, will it REALLY change ?

I don't know, but it will only change if we all get together and try to change it. As someone said, sign up and change it from the inside! I think most people would like to see all positive contributors welcome back to XOOPS project. I certainly do.

Quote:
yes the team leader should chose members (to work with who) confidentially and independent.(i hope it should be so)

I respectfully disagree with the confidentiality part. I would prefer that it was a transparent process with nothing behind closed doors. I don't mind my appliction being rejected so long as I can see that a strong team was selected in the end! Keeping the process open helps people feel that it is fair.

I have a few reservations about a fixed/closed team structure. It can easily become a barrier to community participation. In my view:

* Team membership should not be 'for life'. People that become inactive should be invited to renew their activity or to step down so they can be replaced. A regular turnover of team members is a normal/healthy thing. People come and go.

* In addition to the 'official teams', there needs to be a formal process that allows community members to submit their own contributions for review. I hope that each team will take responsibility for handling community contributions in their area (a formal process wouldn't hurt), and making sure that good work gets incorporated. People shouldn't have to be on any team to make a contribution.

* In summary, teams need to coordinate/harness community input in their area of responsibility. They should not try to do everything themselves.

irmtfan
  • 2007/6/9 6:24

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i said choose members confidentially and not a team working behind a wall.
Quote:

I don't mind my appliction being rejected so long as I can see that a strong team was selected in the end! Keeping the process open helps people feel that it is fair.

your opinion shows your majesty and i respect it. but not everybody think like you if the leader reject him with reasons that reveals in public.

it is a real life and real project not an ideal life.
at the end of everything there should be somebody at the top to make the final decision to implement this or that with this or that priority etc.
the leader should listen to the Community, other developers and ... and respect to what they want but finally do the job in the best way.
its better to be supported by many users in the community.
but you should trust the leader at the most parts and think about work with the team in the real conditions.

back to the Herve example think Mister A want to add a feature to the core and Mister B disagreed at the end of a long conversation. so what is the next move?an election for each feature? who is the right person to vote? core members? and then you think the whole community should trust the result of the Core Develpers Committee?
dont you think its some kind of anarchism and not democracy?
IMHO i can trust one person more than a committee.
an other example:
i want to add a feature to XXXX module. so i create a topic and 50 person vote for implement that.is this enough to force "The leader of the module" ( the module developer) to add that?
yes in 99 percent it should work like that because developer care about community and what they want but anyway it is up to the developer

instantzero

Excuse me for asking another question (suggestion in fact) but their are some treasures in the local supports.

And those people do not always speak english.
I think it will be good if they could join the new Xoops.

Can I suggest to wait, or to verify, that the good news is spread everywhere (in the local supports) so that everybody can join ?

To come back to my first post.... I don't want to be part of any team, I try to be honest because I'm applying to myself what I am requesting to the others, "not the same persons in the same places with the same power".

I say it coldly, without anger or anything else.
To say "we forgive the past and we do a new begin", I'm sorry but I don't believe it.

Counter of most of you think I'm not there for the pleasure to "disturb you" (and to loose my time and to be "ranked" as mister "bad boy")

It's human, what has been made in the past will be done, again, in the future...

I'm the CEO of my own company and if I had a team who made some errors in the past, I will not "use" the same persons to "take off" the project after some so much big mistakes in the past.

It's hard to accept to loose some "power" but if you really want to see better things, accept it and think of it !

To finish, asking some questions is not negativism or "just complains", I'm trying to make the things change and (really) better and I would like to see a true new future
for Xoops.

If you think that asking questions is just complains and negativism, then all your children are negativism and "just complaining" and you will have some problems with them when they will reach a certain age.

Try to think and ask yourself the right questions...

irmtfan
  • 2007/6/9 6:41

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Quote:

Can I suggest to wait, or to verify, that the good news is spread everywhere (in the local supports) so that everybody can join ?

Thank you for mentioned this.
at least done in Persian:
http://www.irxoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=169

Marco
  • 2007/6/9 7:30

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
Quote:

I'm just glad to see communication again!

i'm just hardly surprised to see such a phrase voiced by a member who enters "THE" team months ago. !!!!
is it so difficult to be honest and have some integrity ?
i can remember how this team acts few weeks ago
"take the door" was the answer.
IS IT A JOKE ????

marco
Do synergy or die.

Anonymous
  • 2007/6/9 8:05

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Marco wrote:

is it so difficult to be honest and have some integrity ?

Nope - the two things go together. Can't have one without the other, in my view.

Quote:
Marco wrote:

i can remember how this team acts few weeks ago
"take the door" was the answer.
IS IT A JOKE ????

I can see why you mention the comments and ask the question.

Things were said in haste that shouldn't have been, and certainly not in open Forum as they were.

However, I'd like to think that what was said is now sincerely regretted and that apologies have been made in private and accepted in good faith.

I'm not saying that the comments should be forgotten (they might serve to remind us as to how we arrived at this point in time) but as a community, we should be looking forward and we need to leave these comments behind.

Just my view.

Marco, "take the door" - only this time please use it to come in

Marco
  • 2007/6/9 11:49

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

@JAVesey

To make feel the community confident, there a need of :

1- what's the core direction
This is mandatory so that dev will be sure that what they want to dev will be still usable in a near future, and in which core parts they can propose enhancements

2- how "THE team" will act
Actually, we don't know how the "before skalpa's leaving" team want to act.
I've seen :
. several "take the door" public posts the last few months
. post deletion of several of their own post just few hours before phppp's news
. informations modifications of all of their own profiles (signature, extra info).
. denigration of community when it asked for some news after more than 6 months of no strictly informations. Unfortunately, last events/facts (phppp's post) have proven them our questions were not as silly / irrespectuous as they wanted us to think.
. skalpa is not so ill as he wants us to think, he worked 4 weeks ago for a french company...

Are these facts normal? i rather think "no".

i think :
- it's time for them to explain us how they want to interact with community. Has time of truth and honesty just arrived?
- it's time to be mature and to act as professionals.
- that's mandatory to make it possible for the community to be confident about XOOPS future and to trust XOOPS management.

That's why i'm talking about a Xoops Manifest here.

marco
Do synergy or die.

vaughan
  • 2007/6/9 12:47

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

den·i·grate(dn-grt)
tr.v. den·i·grat·ed, den·i·grat·ing, den·i·grates
1. To attack the character or reputation of; speak ill of; defame.
2. To disparage; belittle: The critics have denigrated our efforts.

we have denigrated the community? or do you mean certain members have denigrated the XOOPS community?

there may have been a lack of communication and direction, but we certainly did not belittle you or anyone, in fact when it came to denigration, i seem to remember it was always the other way round. (maybe you should choose a different word than 'denigrate') lol

so how do we want to interact with the community. well 1st of all we want to interact in a friendly manner, which is totally FREE of defammatory, offensive, and PERSONAL Attacks against any member!!, do you think you are totally innocent of any of these actions? in deed I think many people were involved in these actions.

We want to keep the forum FREE of these flame-wars and personal attacks (whether your personal attack was merited or not!!) the personal attacks & flame-wars are what did more damage to the community than anything else!! you don't invite good responses from people when you are constantly barraging and flaming them at every instance, in fact that does more to discourage them from answering or helping you in the 1st place.

to quote from the mozilla team's book >

The chapter Setting the Tone from the book Producing Open Source Software gives us a clear proven outline of how we can effectively demonstrate how community support should be done.

and to quote:

Quote:

Nip Rudeness in the Bud
From the very start of your project's public existence, you should maintain a zero-tolerance policy toward rude or insulting behavior in its forums. Zero-tolerance does not mean technical enforcement per se. You don't have to remove people from the mailing list when they flame another subscriber, or take away their commit access because they made derogatory comments. (In theory, you might eventually have to resort to such actions, but only after all other avenues have failed—which, by definition, isn't the case at the start of the project.) Zero-tolerance simply means never letting bad behavior slide by unnoticed. For example, when someone posts a technical comment mixed together with an ad hominem attack on some other developer in the project, it is imperative that your response address the ad hominem attack first, as a separate issue unto itself, and only afterward move on to the technical content.

It is unfortunately very easy, and all too typical, for constructive discussions to lapse into destructive flame wars. People will say things in email that they would never say face-to-face. The topics of discussion only amplify this effect: in technical issues, people often feel there is a single right answer to most questions, and that disagreement with that answer can only be explained by ignorance or stupidity. It's a short distance from calling someone's technical proposal stupid to calling the person themselves stupid. In fact, it's often hard to tell where technical debate leaves off and character attack begins, which is one reason why drastic responses or punishments are not a good idea. Instead, when you think you see it happening, make a post that stresses the importance of keeping the discussion friendly, without accusing anyone of being deliberately poisonous. Such "Nice Police" posts do have an unfortunate tendency to sound like a kindergarten teacher lecturing a class on good behavior:

First, let's please cut down on the (potentially) ad hominem comments; for example, calling J's design for the security layer "naive and ignorant of the basic principles of computer security." That may be true or it may not, but in either case it's no way to have the discussion. J made his proposal in good faith. If it has deficiencies, point them out, and we'll fix them or get a new design. I'm sure M meant no personal insult to J, but the phrasing was unfortunate, and we try to keep things constructive around here.

Now, on to the proposal. I think M was right in saying that...

As stilted as such responses sound, they have a noticeable effect. If you consistently call out bad behavior, but don't demand an apology or acknowledgment from the offending party, then you leave people free to cool down and show their better side by behaving more decorously next time—and they will. One of the secrets of doing this successfully is to never make the meta-discussion the main topic. It should always be an aside, a brief preface to the main portion of your response. Point out in passing that "we don't do things that way around here," but then move on to the real content, so that you're giving people something on-topic to respond to. If someone protests that they didn't deserve your rebuke, simply refuse to be drawn into an argument about it. Either don't respond (if you think they're just letting off steam and don't require a response), or say you're sorry if you overreacted and that it's hard to detect nuance in email, then get back to the main topic. Never, ever insist on an acknowledgment, whether public or private, from someone that they behaved inappropriately. If they choose of their own volition to post an apology, that's great, but demanding that they do so will only cause resentment.

The overall goal is to make good etiquette be seen as one of the "in-group" behaviors. This helps the project, because developers can be driven away (even from projects they like and want to support) by flame wars. You may not even know that they were driven away; someone might lurk on the mailing list, see that it takes a thick skin to participate in the project, and decide against getting involved at all. Keeping forums friendly is a long-term survival strategy, and it's easier to do when the project is still small. Once it's part of the culture, you won't have to be the only person promoting it. It will be maintained by everyone.

so there you have it. that is what we would like here also. and to that extent on past issues, there are quite a lot of us including yourself & others who are not so innocent & helped to bring the state of this project to it's knees nearly.

Can we all work together? Yes we can,
but do we all think the same? NO we don't!,
do we all interpret the written word exactly the same as the next person? No we don't. what one person reads may mean something completely different to how the author actually meant it to be read!. that's a problem of written word! But flame-wars & personal attacks *should not* be tolerated and allowed on the forum.

so the question is, can you work with everyone else to achieve those goals?

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits