m0nty
Re: Get your Xoops for only $149.97.
  • 2006/6/18 0:47

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

if any1 has the full source code it would be ideal to compare.

but either way, they are saying it isn't allowed to be redistributed and that in itself is a breech of the GNU. XOOPS is licensed under GNU, therefore if they use any part of XOOPS code system (which it looks like most of it is) whether modified & customised, they can't re-release it under a different license.. it still has to be GPL.. or am i wrong? so maybe they need to read the license..

as for them saying it isn't xoops.. that's bull.. their demo of it uses newbb_plus as it's forum lol that's a giveaway for starters..

Hayden
  • 2006/6/18 2:13

• Hayden

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/17

I'll risk the wrath of their no doubt amazing legal department and pass the source code to any "higher ups" who want it.

Chappy
  • 2006/6/18 4:56

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Could there be yet another way to hurt them (as it is immoral, and almost certainly illegal)? Could Paypal not be contacted with this information by a XOOPS representative? It could be presented to them that they are the financial front door of an outfit that is ripping consumers off and that they themselves are possibly opening the door to a lawsuit against them. I bet they would think twice about keeping their relationship with this, uhh, organization...

The Acceptable Use Policy forbids the use of Paypal for illegal activities. This could give Paypal a black eye if they don't pay attention. I suspect even the hint of a legal issue will get their attention...
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

DIDI5
  • 2006/6/18 7:41

• DIDI5

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/24

Maybe!! The best way to start on such case or any similar case , is for the Xoops-foundation to buy one of their product/service.
That itself would be 100percent proof and a mighty lot of first hand info to start anything.

MadFish
  • 2006/6/18 11:18

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
This software is NOT xoops. This customer is not entitled to a refund and should a refund be honored we will send this debt to a collection agency in the area where this person lives to collect payment.

Ok I just spotted this and now I'm annoyed. If anyone is willing to send me "their" source code I'll stick it on my website for the entire planet to download if they wish.

That is to say, I will exercise the freedoms conferred under the GNU license and this bunch can go find a different and more legitimate business model (like selling support).

davidl2
  • 2006/6/18 11:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

Hayden wrote:
I'll risk the wrath of their no doubt amazing legal department and pass the source code to any "higher ups" who want it.

I am not a "higher-up" - but I am an ex-Xoops Council member, and I still feel I have a repsonsibility to help get this matter looked into further.

If you can email me any information you have (anyone concerned) - I think my XOOPS address of davidl2@xoops.org still works... (if it bounces, let me know and i'll give you another address) .. then I can forward it to Herko for the foundation to look into further.

Thanks for your co-operation on this!

scaredcrow
  • 2006/6/25 2:25

• scaredcrow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/25

My partner and I bought the script last Friday. When we received it, I was blown away when I saw that it's actually a hacked-out XOOPS! I don't know what version is this, though! The seller didn't care to change the name of the modules but he/she deleted the GPL parts.

<quote>
// $Id: xoopscomments.php,v 1.2 2006/01/20 23:26:44 POPSCRIPT Exp $

//***********************************************************/

//* POPSCRIPT.COM */

//* Simple & Powerful */

//* <http://www.popscript.com > */

//***********************************************************/

// Original Author: Kazumi Ono

// Author Website :http://www.mywebaddons.com/ ,http://www.myweb.ne.jp

// License Type : GPL: See /manual/LICENSES/GPL.txt

// ------------------------------------------------------------------------- //

if (!defined("XOOPS_XOOPSCOMMENTS_INCLUDED")) {

define("XOOPS_XOOPSCOMMENTS_INCLUDED", 1);

include_once(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/class/module.errorhandler.php");

include_once(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/class/xoopstree.php");

</quote>

damaster
  • 2006/6/25 15:24

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Today, the Netherlands XOOPS Foundation is finding it difficult to establish its legitimacy, having been criticized for some individualist ambitions, lack of actions with resources or in the protection of XOOPS interest. You'll say that you already know that's alike reduce it to something good looking to figure out in someone cv which is managing some cash as a responsable and mature person. So who can people here blame to?

Its said that a trial somewhere, trying crimes that took place thousands of miles away, will not happen... their same brand of discredited management and opportunistic politics at the expense of the supposed beneficiaries will persist...

Which make up for the bad reputation inflicted on the people involved on this XOOPS project.

Nevertheless, it is maybe for this very reason that the original XOOPS founder have move out the trial of new leaders and foundation presidency, to a new project.

"It seems that justice is calmer when there is distance involved".

Without any legal action from the foundation. Why not call upon the legitimacy of the one whose original credits remain on the scripts?

Finally, some people would pay for such thing... instead choose open source. That's a known system model of human behavior...

Good Things have a price !

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

MadFish
  • 2006/6/25 16:17

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Although I would love to see these people have their butts kicked by a court, in practical terms legal action is expensive, time consuming (we got a rep in that country??) and probably not very effective. These people jump up more often than we could afford to swat them.

So, my suggestion is that a practical way to deal with people that like to charge for open source products that they pass off as their own is to take 'their' code and stick it online with some code samples that demonstrate its origin beyond reasonable doubt. If enough people make it available for free it is going to be pretty hard for them to charge for it.
Especially if large, highly-visible-in-Google sites like xoops.org start a collection of XOOPS clones that are in breach of the GPL.

It's still GPL code so its legal to put it online. Since sharing code is in line with the spirit of GPL it is also ethical. And it's cheap.

mortuk
  • 2006/6/25 16:23

• mortuk

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/12/13

[EDIT by JMorris]: No need for name calling. Please see XOOPSiquette.

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits