JMorris
Re: Drupal
  • 2005/9/22 19:05

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

It looks as though there are five categories in the forum that would need moderation. (I'm not counting internal discussion). I like the idea of having "shifts" but finding 15 people who are regular enough (and willing) to be moderator material might be a little difficult.

But on the flipside of that coin, I don't think many of the regulars stay on the site for very at one time. Many pop in when they have a minute or two, then return to their work. Therefore, I agree that it would be best to have numerous moderators.

On a different note, should moderators be volunteers, be nominated/voted in by the community, or hand selected by the core team? In any case, there will be pros and cons.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Herko
  • 2005/9/22 19:28

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I'd say volunteers who then get a short review of the core team. Just a minor one looking at how involved they are and to get some contact info so we can reach eachother. I don't see why there would be a need to vote.

Herko

Necron99
  • 2005/9/22 20:51

• Necron99

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/24

Absolutely no R-E-S-P-E-C-T. I'm not one to be passive in this situation. Action has to be taken against people like that. This guy basically wants to be a slave driver and have all the developers be his little elves... can you believe that line about the developers of Drupal allowing themselves to be mopped up... then legal action! My god this guy is precious. Get him the hell out of here and that's that. That is Necron's brand of justice. Don't confuse me with The Punisher though. Who's the one who said that every action requires and equal and opposite reaction... that guy had a point.

Jharis
  • 2005/9/22 21:07

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

James, Herko

What about just having a pool of only five official moderators with power to enforce basic forum rules? The XOOPS forum only needs moderation from time to time. Their other job would be to help put people together to answer questions or point users in the right direction. Remember at anytime there are many XOOPS users on the forums willing to answer questions so the mods are not alone.

don (el paso
motto - green chili for everything!

JMorris
  • 2005/9/22 22:51

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

IMHO a lot is going to depend on who steps up to volunteer. If there are only 5 Moderators for the entire forum + aiding in keeping the FAQ current, I would think that one or the other might not get the attention it deserves. Especially considering how many people can only stop by periodically throughout the day.

I agree with Herko that the Moderators "job" should not only be to aid the end user, but to also aid the Core Team in some of the more routine administrative tasks, like ensuring the FAQs are acurate and current. This seems to follow the logic of many other OSS Project Forums.

@Core Team,

Should there be an "Offical" call for volunteers now so you can guage interest and what you can deligate to the Moderator Team, or do you want to discuss this further among yourselves before going any further?

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

zeroram
  • 2005/9/22 23:16

• zeroram

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/30

Yes, lets bring moderator to the forums..

somepeople should follow some basic rules, to keep a community clean and in good work.

the drupal guy make me think in something...

"if you let one cockroach in you house, you will have no idea when you have a plague in you home"

so, let welcome moderators

Necron99
  • 2005/9/23 1:24

• Necron99

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/24

Right, without order it would just be anarchy resulting in a very tacky atmosphere. Don't confuse me with Odo.

JMorris
  • 2005/9/23 10:36

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Bump for the day shift.

I'm really impressed, and somewhat suprised at the support for forum moderators. Let's not drop this ball.

Herko
  • 2005/9/23 10:55

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I'm definately not dropping it. This is the kind of support I needed from time to time when I felt overwhelmed with the negative and abusive posts people made. Some even personal attacks that were very hurting (and some just pathetically funny).

If we -as in the whole community- show we're singlemindedly enforcing a standard of quality on this website, people like that will not get a chance to disrupt 'business' like they intend to do.

I'm now considering the following:
When I find the time I'm working on a document about a restructuring of the XOOPS.org websites, making it a lot easier for users to find their way. I'm not even halfway to the first draft tho, and I expect this to take a few weeks to be finished and discussed. This would be a restructuring using a stable 2.2.3 version (the one being tested as we speak).

Part of the restructuring is the forums. I'd like some help with that. In this thread people are asking for 2.0.x and 2.2.x support forums, as well as a migration to CBB. I'd like to have the forums reorganised so we can have 3 basic sections: Q&A/testimonials/site reviews (forums for general fedback on the system, project and sites), support forums, and development forums. And preferably less forums then we have now. Per section a number of moderators would make my life a lot easier

If we can have a team of moderators who can help me with teh restructuring and migration, I'd be very happy, plus, it would speed up the whole process of getting an improved site online!

Or should we start the moderation as soon as possible, and leave the restruturing to when it will be ready?

Herko

JMorris
  • 2005/9/23 11:18

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:
Or should we start the moderation as soon as possible, and leave the restruturing to when it will be ready?

I'm not normally one to want to rush anything relating to xoops.org, but given the amount problems there have been on the forum lately, I think it might be prudent to go ahead with setting up the Moderator Team now.

There are two main benefits to setting up the team now:

1. The team can shoulder some of the burden of maintaining order, pointing users to solutions, etc. thus freeing up the Core Team's time to work on getting the site ready for migration.

2. The team can help with restructuring the forum as you mentioned.

IMHO, I believe there should be a forum where the Moderator Team can coordinate with the Core Team so tasks can be deligated and all can stay on the same page.

It might even be wise to make this a private forum. I know people might not like having a closed door anywhere here, but I really see this as being prudent. It's too easy for misunderstandings to happen when people don't understand the context of a discussion. This happens a lot.

Best Regards,

James

Login

Who's Online

134 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 134

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits