davidl2
Re: CBB Team calling for members
  • 2005/6/5 1:07

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I'd just like to thank the people who have PM'd me so far.

If you've not had chance to message me yet, and are interested in the CBB project, please can you drop me a message when you are able to?

Many thanks to all.

David

supernix
  • 2005/6/5 5:31

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

One very important change that I see would be the ability to mass add or remove a moderator from forums.
It is not that much of an issue unless you have many forums but still very useful.

m0nty
  • 2005/6/5 6:42

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i'm actually liking the features on this forum..

1 thing i would like to have tho, is the ability to set different filesize limits for attachments on group level instead of it being global. & possibly the ability to choose multi attachments.

another thing is if possible is for the colours to be able to be set for admin posts..

what i mean by this is when an admin posts a new topic or selects the topic to be an announcement then the back ground colour (odd, even) can be changed to a different color, but only for the admins post, all others should have default colors.. if you need better explanation, message me on msn and i'll try and explain better..

also the ability for the topic starter to be able to delete his topic only if nobody has replied to it..

+ if a user edits his post in a topic,or chooses to delete a post, then if possible have an option in admin to set if the post should actually be removed from the topic itself or edited with a line saying "post removed by poster"

Herko
  • 2005/6/5 7:46

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Heh, I have a wishlist too! Well, it's only one point, really.

usability. Forum modules are feature hogs and are difficult to manage and administrate. Please get someone to take a long hard look at how all these features can best be managed, so that it is logical to use. Think of a list of use cases and how people use the module. Both the admin and the frontend. Could be a nice learning experience that is beneficial for all module developments

Herko

m0nty
  • 2005/6/5 7:54

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:
Please get someone to take a long hard look at how all these features can best be managed, so that it is logical to use.

you mean something like ipb does? where the admin is categorised into sections, 1 for general settings, 1 for users & group settings (permissions etc) 1 for forum control, etc.. so there isn't a long page of options in the preferences..

psindia
Re: CBB Design Features
  • 2005/6/6 16:30

• psindia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/3/31

point assigment (positive and negative) to users.
Kicking of a user by another user.
Need approval to be considered as a valid Post

fdj
Re: CBB Design Features
  • 2005/6/6 18:18

• fdj

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/19

I agree with herko...

In my opinion CBB should be more simple. Some parts of the code are too "heavy".

Maybe some feature should be put out of the CBB core and considered (maybe) as plugins.

Do we really need to :

- have 3 modes of menu
- have user bar experience...
- groups
- have different sets of images (png, gif..) ?
- print topic
- make pdf files
- have karma options

I looked in the code and I think that lot of things should be "cleaned". I know that we can manage most of them in the cp but how many people need those things ?

Some templates are ~15 ko and if you put out those features they can reach 5 ko. But it is harder to to do this with "hard coded files".

another point :

It's a hard work to manage forum, catégories and user permissions. I manage 6 groups of user and 8 forum that is to say 432 check box to set.

I'm not sure that other people agree with me but it could be usefull to discuss on this.

(excuses for my english).

++

davidl2
  • 2005/6/6 18:38

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Karma etc can be disabled - but the feature is there for when and if people want it.

fdj
  • 2005/6/6 19:11

• fdj

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/19

sure they can be disabled, but the code stay in the files

Lighter the code is faster the board will be . Most (all) of the CBB/Newbb 2 I have seen don't use those features.

Simple example :

If I want to keep just the select mode for menus. I can delete from each template files :

<{elseif $menumode eq 1}>
    <
div id="mainoption" class="menu">
    <
table><tr><td>
        <
class="item" href="<{$mark_read}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_ALL_FORUMS}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_READ}></a>
        <
class="item" href="<{$mark_unread}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_ALL_FORUMS}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_UNREAD}></a>
        <
div class="separator"></div>
        <
class="item" href="<{$post_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_ALLPOSTS}></a>
        <
class="item" href="<{$newpost_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_NEWPOSTS}></a>
        <
class="item" href="<{$all_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_ALL}></a>
        <
class="item" href="<{$digest_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_DIGEST}></a>
        <
class="item" href="<{$unreplied_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_UNREPLIED}></a>
        <
class="item" href="<{$unread_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_UNREAD}></a>
        <
        <{foreach 
item=menu from=$menumode_other}>
        <
class="item" href="<{$menu.link}>"><{$menu.title}></a>
        <{/foreach}>
        <{if 
$forum_index_cpanel}>
        <
        <
class="item" href="<{$forum_index_cpanel.link}>"><{$forum_index_cpanel.name}></a>
        <{/if}>
    </
td></tr></table>
    </
div>
    <
script type="text/javascript">document.getElementById("mainoption").onmouseout closeMenu;</script>
    <
div class="menubar"><a href="" onclick="openMenu(event, 'mainoption');return false;"><{$smarty.const._MD_MAINFORUMOPT}></a></div>

<{elseif 
$menumode eq 2}>

<
div class="menu">
        <
ul>
            <
li>
                <
div class="item"><strong><{$smarty.const._MD_MAINFORUMOPT}></strong></div>
                <
ul>
                <
li><table><tr><td>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$mark_read}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_ALL_FORUMS}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_READ}></a></div>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$mark_unread}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_ALL_FORUMS}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_MARK_UNREAD}></a></div>
                    <
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$post_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_ALLPOSTS}></a></div>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$newpost_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_NEWPOSTS}></a></div>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$all_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_ALL}></a></div>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$digest_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_DIGEST}></a></div>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$unreplied_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_UNREPLIED}></a></div>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$unread_link}>"><{$smarty.const._MD_VIEW}>&nbsp;<{$smarty.const._MD_UNREAD}></a></div>
                    <
                    <{foreach 
item=menu from=$menumode_other}>
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$menu.link}>"><{$menu.title}></a></div>
                    <{/foreach}>
                    <{if 
$forum_index_cpanel}>
                    <
                    <
div class="item"><a href="<{$forum_index_cpanel.link}>"><{$forum_index_cpanel.name}></a></div>
                    <{/if}>
                </
td></tr></table></li>
                </
ul>
            </
li>
        </
ul>
    </
div>
<{/if}>

I can delete js files, css files (newbb_menu_click.css, newbb_menu_hover.css), and few other things ...

Mithrandir

Quote:
sure they can be disabled, but the code stay in the files

Only in the templates (I hope) that are compiled to PHP code anyway. It's not like the <{if}> <{else}> etc. is sent to the browser.

However, if the css and js files are not being used, they should not be included in the output either, that's true.

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits